our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Mozart22

Itchy Rash, Comes and Goes. Why???

I've been completely off Paxil for 11 days. Feels good to be off it.
2 days ago my hands, arms, and feet became itchy. I could see
little bumps on the skin. Not red, but skin-colored. These skin-colored
bumps are proof that this is a rash of some sorts.

There are no mosquitos in my house, and I checked for bedbugs and
did not find any. So I would assume this is not from that. Also, I have never
been allergic to anything before. I don't know any fabrics or products that
I'm allergic to.

The thing about my rash is that it comes and goes, I don't know why?
I'll get itchy bumps, then they go away, then come back a few hours later.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I no longer take
any Paxil? I tapered very slowly over 18 months. My best guess would be that this is not a Paxil issue. I would think this itchy rash is due to something else.

If things don't improve in a few days I will go to a dermatologist.
I've never had such a widespread itchy rash before. All over the arms, hands, and feet, on and off again throughout the day and night.

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Mozart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Jmarie

Re: Itchy Rash, Comes and Goes. Why???

I have heard of others having similar problems in WD. I have had my bouts of unexplained itchiness and raised bumps which drive me to scratch till I bleed and end up scarring. I think it has to do with the antihistaminic effects of SSRI's. Also, I've noticed that soon after I drop I get about 2 days where I'm really sneezy. It's weird. Try doing search for "itchy" and I bet more than a few threads pop up. But like you said, if it doesn't go away in a few days you might want to get it checked out to be on the safe side.
2010: 14mg-10.5mg
2011: 10.5-7.6mg
2012: 7.5-6.8mg
2013: 6.7-6.3mg
02/24/14: 6.2mg
04/24/14: 6.1mg
07/15/14: 6.0mg
09/15/14: 5.9mg

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Mozart22

I want to stress that this is not just something in my head, there are actual visible bumps on the skin. There is a visible rash. The bumps are the color of my skin, and there is no fluid or puss in them. The bumps look a lot like mosquito bites. But I know for a fact they are not mosquito bites
because I haven't seen any in my house and also I get these bumps throughout the day, whereas mosquitos mostly bite at night.

The bumps come and go. After a few hours they go away, then later come back. I really hope I find a solution to this...

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Mozart22

From doing research online, it seems that what I have is probably hives.
Starts off as a few raised bumps, then spreads, then stops, reappearing later.
Very itchy. I wonder why I got hives though? I've never had it before. Seems to have come out of nowhere.
I should clarify that altho the bumps start off as skin-colored, they do eventually become reddish.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Gracings

I just searched this site for "rash" as it appears that I have one or two areas of bumpy itchy spots. The bumps are tiny and the area is reddish. Not a contast itch, but when it itches, it feels like mosquito bites. These don't look like insect bites, though.

Perhaps we're more prone to some hive activity in our tapering? Or maybe it is coincidence. I'm on Day 3 of another taper, so who knows if it is linked or not.
06/08/11 8.8
Continued to slowly taper until: 09/21/12. Done!

August 2014: best month in 2014, this far; much improved from 2013.
Gracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Gracings

Hmmmm...I'm getting some hits on Google for messages about people waking up with hives when they START on Lexapro. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if tapering off this medicine could do the same thing to some of us.
06/08/11 8.8

Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Gracings

Well, I lifted this from a site and hope that it is OK to post this over here. (source: theroadback.org):

Lexapro withdrawal - Erythema – a skin redness caused by the swelling with blood of the tiny blood vessels of the skin as in burns.

Lexapro withdrawal - Erythematous Rash – Redness of the skin from the swelling of the tiny blood vessels with skin irritation (itching, burning, tingling, pain) and breakouts (eruptions).
06/08/11 8.8