our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Chrissy

Any connection between dental probs and withdrawal?

I don't know if there is anything in this, but I have noticed on reading some peoples experiences with withdrawal, that dental problems/work has been carried out, myself included.

Does anyone think that this could be of interest, has anyone else experienced dental problems.

During the latter part of my being medicated, I started to grow my wisdom teeth. Had a hell of a time with the pain/constant infections. Was given Corsadyl mouthwash and Amoxycillin on approximately four different occasions.

Just an idea, anyone got any similar stories?

Now at 16 mths Post-CT
No emotions AT ALL
Ear pressure, Head pressure, Taste, Smell disturbances, Pain sensation impaired, No labido, numb genitals

Concentration and memory problems improving.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Re: Any connection between dental probs and withdrawal?

Getting your wisdom teeth would have absolutely nothing to do with w/d. Wisdom teeth are problematic for many people, which is why they're pulled so often.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
spikenala

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Getting your wisdom teeth would have absolutely nothing to do with w/d. Wisdom teeth are problematic for many people, which is why they're pulled so often.
Wait....you mean every symptom under the sun cannot be attributed to WD?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I will say this .... when you are under a lot of stress that can weaken your immune system. So, in a very broad sense, lots of things could be indirectly brought on by withdrawal. I know my teeth are a lot more sensitive when I am stressed out.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
Old 09-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Quirk

Main problem here is, that you will never know what problems may stem from withdrawl. It is a wrong assumption to say this or that cannot be caused by wd.
Fact is, we just do not know.
W/D symptoms began 14 days later, lasting several months
Phase II 12.2009: Dizziness, derealization/depresonalization, anxiety, headaches
04.2010: Light headaches, unnormal cold fingertips, weird feelings, light dizziness now and then, anxiety, lightheadedness
45 months out: Still having symptoms, but much better than a year ago
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
mapleleafgirl25

100%...i have had so many problems with my wisdom teeth....at that time of the month..my one flares up...i never had this until paxil...its the impacted one....and i also get a couple of canker sores in my mouth as well....it must be the immune system and how paxil has an effect on it!!..
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fourth Year -Taper Done)
PAXIL FREE - JUNE 1 2014
Old 09-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
nickels

I don't know if there is a connection but I never had problems with my teeth until paxil (not necessarily wd). However, I also got older and had a vitamin D deficiency which could have contributed. My wisdom teeth flared up after becoming pregnant, and I eventually had to get 2 removed after 30 which is not something they normally like to do....but I think pregnancy was a factor as well.

Either way, the best thing to do with teeth is to visit your dentist regularly...another factor for me as I avoided this fear of mine for a while, only going when in pain.

Also, if your wisdom teeth keep getting infected, its likely that they will need to be removed...its better to do the younger you are b/c the bone can heal easier...it becomes more brittle with age. I avoided this for a while and the constant ABs took a toll on my stomach. If they are impacted, they can mess up other teeth too. If its just a skin flap that traps food and becomes infected, then you can try having the gums cut to avoid surgery, but thats not a cure all.

2000 - 20mgs Paxil for GAD & Panic Attacks
2001 - 30mgs increased to 40mgs
2006 - back down to 20mgs - poop out
2/2007 - C/T off 20mgs - went back on at 10mgs
7/2007 - stabilized then started my taper off of 10mgs
8/2007 - down to 5mgs then found PP and began 10% taper
10/15/2008 - 0!
2/2009 - started CBT to finally work on anxiety
Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
spikenala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
Main problem here is, that you will never know what problems may stem from withdrawl. It is a wrong assumption to say this or that cannot be caused by wd.
Yeah I would agree with that...however I also have an issue with validating someone's symptoms when they likely have nothing to do with WD or SSRIs. Who knows, its always possible constant sympathetic activation may be compromising her immune response, thus allowing for abscess formation. However I am going to go out and say that impacted wisdom teeth have zero to do with withdrawal.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
We do know that withdrawal doesn't create wisdom teeth problems. Wisdom teeth cause wisdom teeth problems.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Quirk

If you solely refer to the wisdom teeths problem, that may be the case. Even though we do not know if wd weakens the immune system and therefore might cause more problems than there normally would be.
In regard to general dental problems the chance is quite high that wd has an impact.
W/D symptoms began 14 days later, lasting several months
Phase II 12.2009: Dizziness, derealization/depresonalization, anxiety, headaches
04.2010: Light headaches, unnormal cold fingertips, weird feelings, light dizziness now and then, anxiety, lightheadedness
45 months out: Still having symptoms, but much better than a year ago
Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
spikenala

I can more or less tell you with utmost certainty that SSRIs play absolutely no role in wisdom tooth eruption. The problem lies in the fact that people like blaming everything under the sun on SSRIs. A lot of stuff is surely not documented and it is very possible caused by SSRIs.....but you cant just go out there and claim every symptom is due to SSRIs. Hell I havent been on SSRIs for years and have been symptom free for years. But I still get heartburn, nausea, pains, blurry vision etc.....its just part of being a human.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
palm

Being on psych meds definitely caused dental problems for me due to not having adequate saliva flow as the result of having a dry mouth which is a common side effect of the drugs

Interestingly, I complained to my hygienist at my last dental checkup that food was sticking to my teeth after meals such as nuts even though I had been off of meds for nearly a year. She thought that the meds might have caused impairment in the saliva area and that it would take time for it to be functional again.

I didn't much like that response as I obviously didn't want my teeth to be ruined further. Fortunately, I have discovered that rinsing my mouth daily with coconut oil has helped tremendously and has increased the saliva flow.

Palm
Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
Jackson

I've always had flawless teeth throughout my life, and never had any problems at all. During my adverse reaction I started having bad dental problems and THREE bad infections in my wisdom teeth, which resulted in me having to have all 4 of them removed within a 6 month period.

I know correlation does not equal causality, however the indications that the drugs somehow have an influence on your dental health is pretty high in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
efexorsam

I think withdrawal makes us more sensitive to everything and that would include teeth. Also, it's been proven that the drugs can cause teeth problems through the dry mouth etc that makes decay quicker and infection more likely. I got my wisdom teeth before going on drugs, but nothing surprises me about these drugs

Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
absoluteme

I never did have jaw infection before..

Only after paxil I had two of them along with diverse teeth problems,
doc prescribed to me also Amoksicillin, which is an antibiotic effective for bones, specially in the head area.

A point that attracts my attention is injections to mouth during dental process.

Does anybody have any info on the interaction of paxil and the injections made to numb area around teethroot and bone?

Preffered drop speed = 0.25 to 0.50 (%10 3 to 6 weeks)
mg Days % Down Speed
20___14__-50_-3,57
15____4___33__8,33
10____7___50__7,14
7,5___7___33__4,76
_5___12___50__4,17
4,5__17___11__0,65
_4___20___13__0,63
3,5__18___14__0,79
3____25___17__0,67
2,8___7____7__1,02
2,4__14___17__1,19
2,2__50____9__0,18
_2____5___10__2
1,8___7___11__1,59
2,8__21__-36_-1,7
2,6__49____8__0,16
2,4___7____8__1,19
2,2__16____9__0,57
_2___12___10__0,83
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
robert12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I don't know if there is anything in this, but I have noticed on reading some peoples experiences with withdrawal, that dental problems/work has been carried out, myself included.

Does anyone think that this could be of interest, has anyone else experienced dental problems.

During the latter part of my being medicated, I started to grow my wisdom teeth. Had a hell of a time with the pain/constant infections. Was given Corsadyl mouthwash and Amoxycillin on approximately four different occasions.

Just an idea, anyone got any similar stories?

Now at 16 mths Post-CT
No emotions AT ALL
Ear pressure, Head pressure, Taste, Smell disturbances, Pain sensation impaired, No labido, numb genitals

Concentration and memory problems improving.

The antibiotics you taken most certainly causes a host of neurological and emotional problems as you mentioned in your signature. especially when its mixed in withdrawal of psychiatric drugs.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert12 View Post
The antibiotics you taken most certainly causes a host of neurological and emotional problems as you mentioned in your signature. especially when its mixed in withdrawal of psychiatric drugs.
Amoxycillin has no psychiatric side effects. It's probably the most benign of the antibiotics. I'm going to close this thread since it's over a year old.

The more common cause of dental problems post ssri is related to dry mouth.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
Closed Thread