our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Journals
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Journals Track your own progress

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Nadene

Paxil Madness

Well I finally worked out how to do this. My story is a long drawn oout one but I am going to post it for others.

In 1999 I had a stillborn baby at 25 weeks gestation. I had always been an anxious person but could handle all that myself with techniques self taught in my 30 years od this mild anxiety suffering. The stillbirth of my first son along with the fact that my dear Nan died while I was in the first trimester of this pregnancy threw me into a tail spin. I went into that negative thought process that makes you feel like nothing will ever return to normal. My anxiety about never having children and being a failure as a woman and wife due to the baby dying in my disgusting unwanted femal body ended up with me in a very very deep depression where I was not functioning at all. At no point was I verbally suicidal but I certainly felt like a failure and did not want to be on this planted any longer.

GP put me on Aropax 20mg. after virtually no side effects, I felt nothing. When I say nothing I mean nothing, no saddness, no happiness, no depression, no anxiety. I was in heaven. After being in the depths of Hell I thought I was back among the living.

I went on and had two very beautiful children while on Aropax (lucky me). The pregnancies were awful and there were definatly anxious times involved. So by the time my second child had a near miss SIDS is was on 40mg, but hey I was functioning and I was a Mum and I was no longer a failure so I kept taking Aropax.

Years passed and I realised I was an emotionally anxious person and I went to seek help for dealing with my emotions and learn't how I have to not take on issues that are not mine. I had to learn to step back and not try to take on others struggles, in fact i had to change my ways and become less caring to a point, after all I had my own family. I was at this point able to go back down to 20mg. I was functioning perfectly on this dose up until probably mid 2013.

The GP says it was poop out but I was also not very compliant with this drug. I knew if I had missed a couple of days as those head Zaps reminded me. If I felt stressed I would take 40mg for a few days thinking I was invincible and this would fix everything. I now know it was not poop out it was me doing all the things you should not on this drug.

I had spoken to my GP after having the bright idea I could deal with life now, after all I have had to bury a child and I have experienced life for 43 years and I knew what the bumps in the road were and I wanted to see If I could handle them.

I tapered from 20mg to 10mg and had no problems whatsoever for a month.

I injured my hand and had to go to hospital for Plasric surgery and totally missed 2 days worth of Aropax. I told myself I might as well just stop. I came out of hospital on the Sunday and Monday I had a major meltdown.
Nadene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Nadene

Re: Paxil Madness

What was a major meltdown. Walking around like a caged animal, unable to sit still. Crying for no reason whatsoever, feeling fear! Feeling of not being in control of my thoughts and thats I was not functioning and coud not care for my now teenage children. Unable to eat anything, not because of nausea but just no desire. Thoughts of the negative kind filling my every nook and cranny in my head and making me feel like this would be me forever.

I ended u on the phone to my GP who was very adamant that I needed to reinstate to 10mg and stabilise. By that evening I was feeling so much better, I had settled to a much better state of restlessness that was bearable. I also took 0.5mg Clonazepam. Thankfully I slept and sleep is a huge part of my life and always has been.

9 days later on the 10mg I went to the GP office and was given news that I had not expected. He wanted me to taper down and get of Paxil while we were at the point we were at however he did want me to go to Lovan for a while before quitting SSRI's totally.

My GP does not prescribe Aropax or Effexor for anyone anymore and if fully aware how hard these things are to come off. However he felt that the reinstatement while seemed to be working would not work well enough. He wanted me to do it that night by dropping to 5mg. That night I went to drop my dose and could not bring myself to do it. I was a mess just from thinking about dropping the dose after the hell hole I had just crawled back out of.

Given the next 24 hours to think about it I could see and understanding his thinking. I spoke to my Husband and my Mum and even my young teenagers about it.

The plan is (YES TOO FAST) 5mg for a week, day off 2.5mg stop 5 days 2.5mg Lovan increasing as I can depending on Side effects.

Did I do this, NO. I will post soon what I have done and where I am at today.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
nz1

Hey another Aussi...
That meltdown you describe is totally wdl from this drug the walking around is akathisia ...a phenomenon only experienced from these drugs and the crying well that's classic wdl.

I actually give credit to Auusi they I believe are a lot more aware of the dangers of these drugs than probably most countries and putting policies in place to reduce usage of them.
Reading between the lines it sounds like your doc knows more than he is letting on ...why in that case he , like mine, just let you sit on this drug for so long is unfathomable.

Hope you stabilize soon.
28 Sept10 drug free..psych & emot. torture
8 feb12 windows of nrmlty(16 mnths)
28 Sept12 stabilising (24 mnths) (what anightmare)
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
nz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Nadene

Well, further to where I am at. After coming on and seeing all the stories and experiences on here I was terrified. But, what was I to do, I was almost off Paxil and knew I had to start Lovan (which I think is a Prozac family). The Doctor wanted me off for 5 days clear of the paxil prior to begining the Lovan. There was no way this little duck was doing that with such a fast taper. I therefore took it upon myself to lower the Paxil to 5mg in the PM and start the Lovan at 5mg in the AM. I did this for three days. First day a bit of dizzyness in the afternnon but all was perfect.

Day 4 2.5mg paxil in PM and 10mg Lovan in AM again all perfect. Becuase of the crash only two weeks prior I was waiting for it with so much apprehension that it was rediculous.

Day 5 No paxil and 10mg Lovan, waiting waiting. Nothing all good again. If anything I was becoming quite tired and I was sleeping very well.

Day 6. Oh no, heads zaps, not bad but there, pressure in head like a small cold. Eyes a bit odd. Not a very good sleep at all.

Day 7. TODAY. 10mg Lovan. No head Zaps. slight head cold feeling. Tired ++++. Otherwise still not bad at all.

I suppose it is still coming. I am not silly enough to know I have getten away with this swap over so easy. I have been on Paxil for 15 years, this drug is not going to let me go that easy. In saying that. I think I have been going through Poop out for quite a while and with my non compliance of dosing I feel that the levels in my body were quite low anyhow.

Please cross everything yu have for me to get through this. I will certainly keep you all updated as to my progress.

Here comes Hell................
Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Nadene

Hey Markca, thanks for the thoughts. I cannot wait until I can say i am 2 years off Paxil and hopefully off Lovan too. It is about to become the journey of a lifetime. I know everyone here has my back so I know I can do it.

I will be looking into CBT once this intial phase is over and gearing up ready for the time I can taper off Lovan.

Hows New Zealand. Did you enjoy the Royal Visit? Damn cold down here in Victoria at the moment. Brrrrrr
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
nz1

yep theres a school girl just up the road from me who rights songs about 'Royals' !
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
Nadene

Another day on and I have increase Lovan to 15 mg. had a bout of anger today but it left as quick as it came. A bit of a full feeling in the head but nothing too bad. Day 4 totally paxil free. Day 8 on Lovan. Still have everything crossed!!!!

Still holding on with white knuckles. Damn these drugs the apprehension of the crash is almost killing me.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #8
nz1

I'm confused are you paxil free or holding on 10 mg your sig says ri aropax (aropax=paxil)

Are you able to do this without the lovan I just dont think the Prozac switch is a wise move.

If you are not coping it would be better to updose on the paxil then stabilize and then do a slow taper and when I say slow id go for the mapleleaf taper.

Your past tapering has been kamakazi in nature which is why you ended up in hospital.
You dont take paxil for 14 years and then get off it in 4 weeks. sorry. You need to be looking at at least a year of tapering and if a doctor tells you otherwise then the doc is wrong. imo
Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #9
nz1

Yep its getting cold over here too by the way ..I might get the fire going this evening.
I just hate it when summer flies north.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
nz1

Just had another read of the position you are now in. I really think you are just going to jump off the paxil and go back up in the lovan and I dont feel that is good.

Heres my call on a proposed game plan.

Ditch the lovan go back to 10mg of paxil (maybe even 15mg )(you said you were 70 %better on 10 right...that I might add is no predictor of what will happen over coming months), then perhaps hold for 2 months until stable then continue tapering at the 10 % taper rate rec here or possibly slower. That is just my take on this as I dont like the look of the current tactics ....whats your doc intention if you dont stablise on lovan...I bet I can guess it will be double the dose ...and here take a benzo as well and then you have 2 or more drug addictions to deal with.

It would be good to get some others to comment on this.
Come in the dream team, over! Fox trot whisky bravo to delta tango one , over.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
Nadene

Markca your reply is great. I know I am doing something that is not thought to be wise at all but I am at this point only suffering minimal wd symptoms and as far as I can tell no side effects to Lovan. I totally understand this more often than not a recipe for disaster. I am hoping and praying I will be one of the ones that comes through. However as previously stated I am in the brave position ready for impact!!! I have no benzodiazepine or any other drugs to help get me through but am using panadol for slight headache and fish oil.

I am using positive affirmations and using my support people to talk to constantly. I feel this is assisting in keeping me moving in the right direction at the moment. I think that the paxil has changed me totally from who I was 15 years ago when I was a strong and determined person. I know that person is still here and she is going to be back no matter what....

No matter what happens from here I hope I can promise to never put paxil back in my body. If I have to break this promise to myself, I have not failed I have tried but will need to try again. Failure is not what any of us should feel while fighting this dragon. She is one mighty force to be reckoned with.

I know it is very early days fore and that there is a damn rocky road ahead but I am strapped in and facing this head on. I am taking my life back.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
nz1

Ok I applaud the clear strength of your conviction and determination.
That will help for sure for the journey ahead.
Paxil wdl despite the best of intentions and even the best of tapers is not easy.

Stay with us ...you have many here that want you to succeed especially me.

Sounds like you have some great things in place like a support team ...that is key.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #13
Nadene

Today I feel good. Hardly anything to write of really. Second day of 15mg Lovan and 4th day clear Aropax.

I would hate to get to far ahead of myself so I am still waiting for the crash.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Nadene

today I have woken up different. How, not really sure. But it is a good different. No head issues to speak of yet but it is early in the morning. Not as tired as past mornings. Have a bit of motivation. Still on 15mg Lovan. I think I may sit on this dose for a bit longer. I may not need to go up to 20 mg.

I still have not used a benzo which is a bonus. I would have started to think about it if I had not slept. My GP wanted me to take 2.5mg if I felt I needed it. So far I have been about to do it without. Yay go me!!!!!!

Still not counting my chickens!!!!!! I know fully well there is some kind of nasty hell out there lurking. Well as long as it keep lurking and not hitting I will keep getting better and stronger.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Nadene

two great days and now eye pressure and headache. Is it the Aropax w/d or Lovan start up??? Who knows, cold be either. Hopefully it will only last a couple of days and move on. Still functioning quite well.

Must say I am still suprised that I am as well as I am. Hubby away ATM so left alone with the kids and not having any back there is not actually bothering me so I think the anxiety is OK.

Still on 15mg Lovan. Will increase to 20mg in two days and then I am where I am meant to be.

Not sure how long to sit on that before tappering off Lovan? Any suggestions. I was on Aropax for 15 years so there is no hurry. Should I just get settled again and enjoy life for a while and see if the Aropax w/d stay away? Should I take the plinge and once I am stable tapper?

Gosh I wish this was a bit easier. I just don't want to be here in a few years time still trying. Impatient should have been my middle name. I am happy to wait 12 months to tapper. Very scared of Aropax w/d becoming really bad........... Oh well it is a decision I do not have to make yet.

In fact, do I even have to go up to 20mg. What is I stay on 15mg?

Oh the questions that have no answers is sooooom frustrating.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #16
poppylouise

Hi nadene

Glad things seem to be working out ok for you so far!
Please keep posting, I am really interested to see how you get on as thinking of doing a switch myself. But worried as been on paxil almost 18 years

You have also been on a long time too I see.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Good luck!
2008 20mg (plus valium for 1 week due to postnatal meltdown or result of too fast taper who knows?)
2008 - 2009 30mg
2009 -2012 15mg
April 2012 panic attack jumped from 15mg-30mg the sh1t hit the fan!
Aug 2012 -Nov 2013 taper 30mg- 11.8mg
20 April 2014 11.2mg
1 May back to 11.8mg
31May up dose 15mg
13 July ALCOHOL FREE!
poppylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
Nadene

Thanks poppy, yes we have been on a long time and I often wonder if it will be worse for us for that reason. I just keep telling myself that none of this is really me. It seems to help, not sure why.

I think the switch so far has been much easier than the crazy c/t I managed to accidentally do. I am sure tapper works to keep the w/d symptoms at their mildest too, but cannot really comment at I tapper fast and straight onto Lovan.

I am getting w/d symptoms still but in my case they seem mild and very manageable. Never forgetting I still have Lovan to quit at some stage.

Thanks again poppylouise stay focused and strong. You can and will do this and your body will tell you the best way how.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
Nadene

Well for those interested and for my journal journey, I am still doing quite well. I am still finding that I am waiting for the big crash. I have noticed in the last couple of days I feel much better in the mornings and I have changed a bit in my sleep pattern. I had not ralsied that I have infact not been sleeping as well as I k=normally would. However the plastic surgery on my hand 3.5 weeks ago may have contributed to that. Nothing worse than trying to sleep with all sorts of plaster and braces on your hands and then finger. So annoying.

Still focussing on the positive. I am actually looking forward to getting to the end of this week and seeing how far I have come in just a week.

Luckily I have been about to work through out this whole darn awful thing.

I have an appointment with the Doc next week and will take game plan to him about when and if the time to start tappering the Lovan will be.

I have only been taking it now for 3 weeks and am not sure if he will want me to stay on Lovan to ensure I get further past my crash and the w/d or if he wants me to keep going and get off these drugs sooner.

I must say I am very scared of coming off the Lovan. I have been noting that some people get the w/d symptoms 1 years later after Paxil! Maybe I should keep on the Lovan for 12 months and then get off it.

Damn I wish this drug had a text book that came with it and told us exactly what to do and how to do it. It reminds me of grief. There is not right or wrong way. You just have to get through it as best you can. As long as my goal stays the same (drug free) I know I will get there.

I have been thinking I am so impatient and I need to to stop it. I have been on Aropax ofr 15 years another couple of years will not hurt me if it ensures I am off these silly AD's

Oh well back in a week or so.........
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #19
Nadene

Another 4 days on and I am still holding really well. Slight headaches but not enough for taking Panadol. No Sadness or anxiety. I am starting to get hopefull that I may be one of the lucky ones.

I am being super positive and I am not 100% to my pre tapering/crash/switch self, but I am not too far off either. I am lucky that I am able to keep telling myself that I can do this and everything I feel is withdrawal or side effects from the newly introduced Prozac. But thats all OK because I am getting closer to my goal of being AD free.

I am still not sure how long to stay on the Prozac at my current 20mg but I would suspect (or I feel) I should stay on it for a couple of months to get some stability back into my Nervous system. I am scared of Taper the Prozac and dealing with both Paxil and Prozac w/d.

I have not had any Clonazepam or Serequel for ages now and am feeling quite pleased about that too as I certainly do not want another addiction. Although knowing the risks I am very very careful about the use of them anyway.

So far all good.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Junior

Hi Nadene, glad the switch is going well for you. I did the same thing - only with cipramil - 7 months ago. I crashed on 13mg of Aropax and could no longer stabilise. I also had to wait 5 days between drugs. Just wanted you to know that while the Cipramil stabilised my moods - and has continued to do so - it hasn't covered the rest of the w/d from the Aropax. I don't want to scare you but feel it is helpful if you know the truth. Lovan/ Prozac (yes, they are the same drug) works on different receptors. Having said that, I know of others who successfully made the switch to Lexapro and it did settle the w/d. I hope your experience is the same.

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2009 23 Sept - 40mg; 12 Dec -30mg;
2010 Up and down - 25mg-30mg; 17 Dec-26mg
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Junior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
Nadene

Thanks for letting me know your experience. IIt is just awful tht we have to go through this horrible thing. Are you feelinbg any better after 7 months? I appreciate being told the truth and to be honest I am waiting for something to hit me. The only anxiety I have is very mild and it is all from waiting for the w/d to kick in and start to make me feel really bad.

I think I am about 15 days odd Aropax now, I am really trying to not make how I feel my focus at the moment as I think If I can keep very positive it willhelp me. I am just saying to myself that this is all OK and if it does come I will just have to go with it and do my best. I feel so awful sometimes because I keep reading about how so many are suffering so much and I feel that I am doing this all too easy. I am focussing on my 12 and 14 year old and work at the moment and it seems to be helping heaps.

My only problems to date have been head pressure behind eyes and near temples which seems to proceed a head ache. I also think I am clenching my jaw and have a bit of a stiff neck. I have no anxiety to speak of and only abut 3 days where I have felt a bit of sadness that has lifted after about 3 hours.

Keep your chin up Junior, we can all do this.

I am hoping once I am feeling back to what I believe is good, I will start to taper the Lovan but for now I am letting my nervous system rest for a month or so.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
Junior

You have a very good attitude. It took me a while to accept that I just had to 'go with it'. I think I started to feel the w/d at about 3 weeks off. Not sure. It is all documented in my journal though.

Am I feeling better? Well I went through a really hard time in the middle of last year, during which I discovered that w/d had thrown my thyroid completely out of whack. Not that mainstream medicine recognised it of course but holistic medicine calls it "reverse T3 syndrome". My NP said she wouldn't be looking at checking my levels for a year and it's now been 11 months so I'm looking forward to that. Umm.. so to answer your question, YES - in respect of that at least. I don't EVER want to go through anything like that again. I spent 3 months trying to get more than 4 hours sleep a night and I had insane levels of adrenaline, to say nothing of the mood swings

Yes I am healing. I have noticed a number of changes over the past couple of months in particular. Sleep is an ongoing problem but I'm doing better since we found that my melatonin levels at night are low. Taking melatonin has helped quite a bit. I don't plan to taper off the Cipramil for at least another 6 months. It might be longer. I don't know. I think I need to know I can sleep properly first as that has been my main w/d symptom.

Here's hoping you don't have too many issues.

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Nadene

Hi Junior, you certainly have an awful lot going on in your life and you most certainly have been through a really rough time. I am truly sorry for that.

I think your experience is certainly more traumatic tham mine. I read so many Journals here that I feel I am almost a bit of a fake. I can honestly say I feel that I has done this easy so far. I totally understand I am not out of the woods yet but I just feel so positive that this is going to work for me.

I feel that you will win this battle and that you will come through the other side a very different person. You have so much to deal with in regards to your health and that of your son that you probably cannot see it now. You will grow from this experience and will be/already are such a great support to others who have had such a damn crappy time of it.

Please keep going and remember to take time out for you. That is something I did not do for 15 years and now that I am it is helping no end. My kids are worse off with a Mum that connot function. Taking time out for me only twice a week calms me and puts me back in a place that I am more settled. My me time is simple things like being left alone to read a book or have a bath in my epsom salts. Simple things that just give me time out to be me.

Take care and never ever give up. I always said that if I had to reinstate Paxil I had not failed I just had to try again.

I too am waiting to taper off the Prozac for a while. Maybe we could be taper buddies.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Junior

Thanks Nadene. I hope things continue to go smoothly for you. And yes, maybe we can be taper buddies sometime in the future. Who knows? lol

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg

Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #25
Nadene

Another few days down and still going really well. Most of the heady feelings of pressure, eye sentitivity and fogginess has gone.

No anxiety at all. Tummy feeling fine. Memory seems fine and I have no lethargy. Sleeping is still good. I seem to be much clearer in my thinking.

I actually think I am begining to actually feel emotions. I have had a few tummy flutter thingd happen when I watched my son play Football, I think I was nervious for him. It was not debilitating or even ncomfortable it was just something I noticed. I have also had a couple of really good laughs where I had tears and really felt the happiness/fun of what was happening. I really do not think I have had these for sometime.

I can say at this point in time I feel better that I have in probably the last 3 to 4 years. In hindsight I was definately ging through poop out and my GP did try to tell me this 3 years ago. I was too busy to listen and try to see what would happen if I stopped the A/D's I was so in a routine and I thought they had helped me so why come of them.

I cannot wait now to start my journey of stopping the fluoxetine but I know I have to wait a few months to let my CNS recover and stabilise.

I can only hope that this continues and that I stay like I am or even improve even more. I do not know how that is possible but I also have not felt this good for so long that I think anything is possible.