our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 12-18-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
cajungal

How much does Paxil cost? Does it really work?

I have been thinking about getting on Paxil for some time. But, would like some info. first. First of all, how much does Paxil cost? I only have a part-time job in retail and only clear about $500 a month and it will get worse after the holidays are over. No medical insuarance at all.

I am having problems with depression, bad mood swings, and severe anxiety. I cannot even drive anymore because my anxiety is so bad. Obsessed and scared to death about getting in a wreck. It is a wonder that I managed to keep my job for the last 4 and a half years.

The main thing I am worried about is the cost, bad side effects, weight gain, and withdrawal. Will it effect my birth control pills? And will I have to be on it for the rest of my life? What will happen when I try to get off? I hear that the withdrawal could be severe. And does it really work? I want as much info as I can. Because I don't know where else to turn.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
safarigal

You have to turn to yourself.

I also have panic about driving. I can bring on the panic and I can prevent it.

I went on Paxil 5 years ago because of bad driving anxiety. I gained 25 lbs, had no sex drive, felt like a zombie and still had driving anxiety. Paxil only prevented me from becoming a recluse. It didn't cure anything.

Paxil is expensive, the last time I had to pay for it, one pill was almost $2.00 US.

SSRIs are NOT the miracle drug the pharmaceutical companies claim them to be. Unless you are totally depressed, housebound and unable to function normally then it is my belief that you do not need an anti-depressant.

Try doing some honest work with yourself, learn about anxiety, learn to deal with the anxiety and you won't need Paxil.

Do I still get driving anxiety? YES Do I drive? YES

Advice? Avoid caffeine, eat a healthy diet, exercise, and take care of yourself!!!

Good Luck!!

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
PayPerView

SSRI's have a place and some people are helped tremendously from them.

While Paxil might work for you (it does great for some people), I think the risks are just not worth it. THis is based on personal experience.

I hope you can find a doctor educated in SSRI's who can help you make the right decision.

I would avoid SSRI's and try everything else FIRST...Take them as a last resort.

Good luck

Mark
PayPerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
Scott

thats a decision you have to make in the presence of your doctor.. i have personal hatred for paxil but it did do its job for the most part. You realize that once you get off.. weight gain is an almost given on this drug especially if youre prone to it anyway.. lack of sex drive.. not to mention addiction.
There are techniques that can cure you of your way of thinking.. thats honestly all that is making your experience hell, your way of thinking.. a drug can help reduce the obcessive thought process but it should be a last resort not a first resort.. if your fear is limited to driving i wouldnt suggest taking a drug... many doctors will disagree...
Bottom line, the drug can work but the negatives that arent advertised will work on you too. If medication is the only option i would suggest a different one other than paxil.. It has the shortest halflife of all the ssri drugs and thus has the worst withdrawal symptoms.. its half-life is only 21 hours where prozac is 4-6 days. heres some technical doctor stuff on choosing a drug here

My sister has driving phobia thanks to a minor car accident.. her therapist put her on zoloft but she didnt like the way it made her feel so now she just battles through it..
The more you tell yourself youre affraid of driving, the more your mind closes off to receiving info about it.. before long you begin to fear anything about driving.. the same way you now tie your shoes effortlessly without thinking is the same way your mind fears driving.. you developed neuropathways fearing it and now you fear it almost every time and cant figure out why youre so affraid.. I mean think about it, the person in the car next to you eating a hamburger while talking on the cellphone couldnt be more calm.. its irrational fear that is controlling you. Could an accident occur? of course, thats why we drive defensively. Unfortunately a lot of people fail to understand the hands go on the steering wheel, not the burger and phone. Next time you tie your shoes, attempt to describe the process as though youre teaching someone over the phone who has never done it.. this will show you how learned processes occur effortlessly once we have the pathways to act them out. This same learning process occured in your fear of driving.. now you dont think of the process, your mind takes the shortcut.

you- i have to tie my shoes. brain- tie shoes
you- theres another car. brain- its going to hit me

thats the process once you learn behaviors... it was much more detailed in the beginning.. think of how long a child takes to do that process.. it would be 10 lines long describing each step. Once learned, there is no need for that long process, you take the direct route.

do research before you take a drug.. not for the drug only, but for the problem.. you might learn just what you need.
http://www.anxieties.com/ has a good section on simple phobias

as for depression, thats hard to say as anytime we feel bad, thats the worst we have felt as we have nothing to compare it to, that doesnt mean its clinical depression.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
JulieG

I wish I had purchased E. Bournes Phobia and Anxiety Workbook before I had ever taken a single pill. I put the book away about a month ago and you know, sure enough not ONE single withdrawal symptom. It really made me look at all the things I was doing and why and where they may have originated. It made me uncomfortable at times but true self examination does that.
JulieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
hope

panic and medical explanation

I was not put on paxil for anxiety, but purely for depression. I never had panic attacks in my life. But getting off the paxil has induced severe anxiety and panic attacks so I know how debilitating they are. In my case, I have tried and tried to tell my doctors that I didn't have panic/anxiety before paxil. During my 6th year on Paxil I was getting symptoms of anxiety and I was wondering if the paxil was the culprit. It seems that now paxil is THE anxiety drug so few people in the medical community believes I never had this.

Yet going through this, I am amazed at how many people suffer with panic/anxiety. I never knew there were this many people. But I am wondering if there is a medical explanation for it? I've talked to parents who say their kids have panic attacks that send them to the ER and are on meds. One woman (my son's friend's mom) told me that hers were caused by an electrolyte imbalance, lack of potassium, and magnesium made them worse. My cousin started getting heart palpitations at age 30 and she said she figured out it had something to do with her digestion. Both got help through alternative medicine. My mom had severe anxiety when she quit smoking that lasted a year.

I'm just wondering how much of this is actually just all in people's heads like the doctors say. And I wonder if taking medication is just putting a band-aid on it.

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Jewel

I agree that taking a medication for anxiety only puts a bandaid on it. You cannot take a SSRI for a set amount of time then expect to come off of it and be cured. It may do the job while you are on it, but the problem will still be there when you come off, and possibly worse because of withdrawal. I wish I had never taken my first Paxil 11 years ago. I wish I had sought actual therapy and learned to deal with the anxiety and panic attacks. Now, 11 years later, I hope to get off the Paxil and start all over from sqare one. Sure wish I'd done it back then when I was younger and didn't have 2 little kids to take care of. Ah well, hindsights 20/20, huh?
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:24 AM   #8
Scott

can someone explain the hindsight 20/20 deal to me.. ive heard it a few times and cant figure out what it means.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #9
hope

20/20

I accidently hit the "new topic" button. Please see my reply under "20/20"

I've been doing a lot of wierd stuff lately.

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote