our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Paigems

Finally quitting SSRIs after taking them since I was 6 yrs old. Left with PSSD.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

When I was a kid I had OCD (which is gone now, but has since turned into general anxiety). Unfortunately, I was put on SSRIs when I was only 6 years old. I was young, so my memory about the different SSRIs I tried is not that good. I do remember trying Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, and Luvox though. Luvox was the only one that ever really worked for my OCD, and I stayed on it from ages 11 to 17. At age 17 I got off of luvox and tried klonopin until I was 18. After a year on klonopin I got of it and tried to go without SSRIs or benzos. I did this fine for about a year until I stupidly decided to try celexa. I took celexa up until 3 months ago when I decided I want to stop putting this garbage into my system and try to handle my anxiety in other ways.

So here's a summary of my medication use from age 6 to 20:

6-11: Tried many SSRIs until Luvox
11-17: Luvox
17-18: Klonopin
19: No Medication
20: Celexa up until 3 months ago

When I type out the whole time line it makes me pretty upset. I really wish that I had never been put on SSRIs in the first place, and had used therapy to fight the OCD. I was only 6 years old when this started though, so I didn't really have much say. Unfortunately, I have been left with some pretty severe symptoms from my SSRI use. I have digestive problems and severe post ssri sexual dysfuction. The PSSD is what bothers the most though. I have genital anesthesia, difficulty getting aroused, and an inability to orgasm. The only time I ever saw any improvement in my pssd was when I took the klonopin. From the research I've done I think it's because benzos lower serotonin levels, though I'm not completely sure. I'm really nervous that the pssd is permanent since I have been on the SSRIs since such a young age and through puperty. I spoke to my doctor about this and she gave me a script for buspirone which does help a little, but not much. My doctor knows barely anything about pssd so I feel really alone and helpless. I am concerned this won't go away unless I do something, but I'm not sure what. I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks,

Paigems
Paigems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Backtopaxil

Re: Finally quitting SSRIs after taking them since I was 6 yrs old. Left with PSSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigems View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

When I was a kid I had OCD (which is gone now, but has since turned into general anxiety). Unfortunately, I was put on SSRIs when I was only 6 years old. I was young, so my memory about the different SSRIs I tried is not that good. I do remember trying Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, and Luvox though. Luvox was the only one that ever really worked for my OCD, and I stayed on it from ages 11 to 17. At age 17 I got off of luvox and tried klonopin until I was 18. After a year on klonopin I got of it and tried to go without SSRIs or benzos. I did this fine for about a year until I stupidly decided to try celexa. I took celexa up until 3 months ago when I decided I want to stop putting this garbage into my system and try to handle my anxiety in other ways.

So here's a summary of my medication use from age 6 to 20:

6-11: Tried many SSRIs until Luvox
11-17: Luvox
17-18: Klonopin
19: No Medication
20: Celexa up until 3 months ago

When I type out the whole time line it makes me pretty upset. I really wish that I had never been put on SSRIs in the first place, and had used therapy to fight the OCD. I was only 6 years old when this started though, so I didn't really have much say. Unfortunately, I have been left with some pretty severe symptoms from my SSRI use. I have digestive problems and severe post ssri sexual dysfuction. The PSSD is what bothers the most though. I have genital anesthesia, difficulty getting aroused, and an inability to orgasm. The only time I ever saw any improvement in my pssd was when I took the klonopin. From the research I've done I think it's because benzos lower serotonin levels, though I'm not completely sure. I'm really nervous that the pssd is permanent since I have been on the SSRIs since such a young age and through puperty. I spoke to my doctor about this and she gave me a script for buspirone which does help a little, but not much. My doctor knows barely anything about pssd so I feel really alone and helpless. I am concerned this won't go away unless I do something, but I'm not sure what. I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks,

Paigems
Question: Are you man or woman?

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Paigems

Re: Finally quitting SSRIs after taking them since I was 6 yrs old. Left with PSSD.

I am a woman.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
I am concerned this won't go away unless I do something, but I'm not sure what.
Being off Celexa for only 3 months, I wouldn't expect any resolution of ssri created symptoms. There truly isn't anything to "do" to fix it. Time is the only thing that we've seen help. One other aspect to think about is how anxiety can play a big part in sexual function(not discounting the drugs influence). The fact that it got a bit better on klonopin would point to anxiety being at least controllable factor to start working on.

You're story makes me so sad...6 years old, jeez. I fear that you are not alone in this category and we will only see more and more affected in their young adulthood.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Backtopaxil

Quote:
I am a woman.

That is a big plus. I have no medical background, but at least you do not have erectile dysfunction which could point to some other issues.

I hope some good therapy and time will get you going. You are just starting life.

Scotty hit it in the nail.

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Paigems

Thanks for the reply.

The klonopin actually aggravated my anxiety which is why I decided to stop taking it. It just took so long to come off of it because the withdrawals were like hell (extreme depersonalization and derealization). My anxiety now is lower than it was then. I'm actually doing really good now. That leads me to believe it was not a lack of anxiety that made the pssd better and in fact something else.

I hope there are not too many others like me. I think it should be illegal to prescribe SSRIs at such a young age. At 6 years old you're really too young to make an informed decision about whether to take such a mind altering medication.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
scotty
Administrator

Quote:

At 6 years old you're really too young to make an informed decision about whether to take such a mind altering medication.
You are SO right!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I think it is absolutely criminal to put a child on a psych med, yet we are seeing it more and more. Scotty is right, only time can heal this but we have seen full recoveries from it and you are young and resilient. Stay away from psych meds and let your body heal.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
andy013

I only took 10mg of citalopram for 5 months, and 3 months after I stopped I still had absolutely no feeling down there. Things have improved a little recently and I'm at 7 months now. I definitely wouldn't expect any results in such a short time.
andy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Paigems

Thank you everyone for the replies! I hope you're all right and time will heal, I have a little trouble imagining that though. I would say it's especially difficult for me because I don't even know what sexually "normal" for me is so I can't track my progress.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Paigems

It's been 5 months since I stopped taking SSRIs, and I just wanted to give an update. Things have been going really well, much better than I anticipated. My genital anesthesia is slowly going away. Right now I actually have more feeling "down below" than I have had in my whole life which is fantastic. I also think I have been having what I would consider premature and weak orgasms, which is definitely major improvement coming from nothing at all. What I have been doing to help the healing process along is exercising a lot, eating a healthy diet, and taking ginkgo biloba. I hope my improvement gives some other people some hope because if I can take SSRIs for 14 years and heal, I think almost anyone can
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
aberdeen

Thanks for returning to tell us the news! I bet it makes someone happy to see this. It sounds like you'll be fine!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
VitoM1981

Paige, how long was your taper?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
slappyintheface
"doesn't use the big stamp"

Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know how you are doing. I am so glad that things are improving. Please be patient with yourself. The whole healing process can take some time.

Are you doing any sort of talk therapy or talking to loved ones about what is going on?

"Keep lighting candles, eventually nobody will be in the dark" me

"Time does not come in pill form" me

http://www.slappyintheface.com
slappyintheface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Bruno2006

its great to hear you are doing well. That makes me very happy and hopeful of my recovery.

I too had OCD issues and from my experience therapy, nutrition, and just growing up and learning how to deal with it is a much better approach than drugs, especially at a young age. I know antidepressants can be effective for some people in treating OCD, but starting someone on a drug that young is just crazy because of the fact that these drugs are not fully understood and who knows what type of problems these drugs can cause on a developing child. I am glad you are doing good.
2009: stopped effexor cold turkey because I could not afford it, switched to zoloft (100mg)
2010: Zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa (30mg)
October 2011: Tapered celexa in one week

"Pain in life is inevitable but suffering is not. Pain is what the world does to you, suffering is what you do to yourself. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."
Bruno2006 is offline   Reply With Quote