our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Lindelea

from Paxil to Conexine

Hi everybody, I hope you are all ok...

As you know I tried to get back to paxil 5 days ago, but Paxil made me feel like crap, I couldn't reinstate, I haven't sleep for 2 days, I've been throwing up and crying all day long, I felt my chest was in flames along with my legs and arms, it was hell.

I called my psychiatrist today, and told her about it, she told me I had to take paxil in the morning cause paxil won't let ppl sleep (I guess in the beginning), and I was taking it at 6pm.. so :S

She told me I had to continue paxil along with another medication which was going to relief the symptoms but I said no, I'm scared of paxil now.. I think I've read so many bad things about it on the internet that I've lost all my faith on it, even if it helped me in the past. I was scared of it since I started taking it 5 days ago, so I guess.. paxil along with my fear caused me this.

So she asked me: "don't u trust paxil anymore?" and I said "I don't" so she told me to take another medication: it's Conexine, I haven't heard about it, but I know it's a SSRI, is it like Paxil? I would like to know if any of u have tried it.

Thank you all.

P.S: I'll try to be med free again for a while before trying conexine.

medication sucks
April 2011 - April 2012 / Paxil Free
April 2012 - Today / 20mg Paxil

This is an unknown awareness

(I've also tried Lamictal and Trileptal)
Lindelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Re: from Paxil to Conexine

We don't have Conexine in the States. The closest drug is Zoloft (sertraline). It won't do anything to relieve Paxil w/d.

Is your pdoc telling you to take both drugs at once?

Face. Accept. Float. Let Time Pass. — Dr. Claire Weekes

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Meta

Conexine is sertraline hydrochloride, which is of course Zoloft (also known as Lustral). Using other drugs to fix the problem caused by drugs in the first place doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Zoloft and Paxil are both SSRIs, but each SSRI affects the brain in a slightly different way, so they aren't really interchangeable (which is why they all have slightly different side effects and withdrawal effects). Withdrawal from Zoloft is supposed to be less excruciating than Paxil withdrawal, but your brain chemistry is highly disturbed at this point. I think it would only prolong the suffering.

Your brain is (temporarily) messed up from Paxil. The only thing which will fix it is time for your brain chemistry to readjust. Adding a new SSRI will just confuse your poor brain further.

I would recommend not taking Conexine.
Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Backtopaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindelea View Post
Hi everybody, I hope you are all ok...

As you know I tried to get back to paxil 5 days ago, but Paxil made me feel like crap, I couldn't reinstate, I haven't sleep for 2 days, I've been throwing up and crying all day long, I felt my chest was in flames along with my legs and arms, it was hell.

I called my psychiatrist today, and told her about it, she told me I had to take paxil in the morning cause paxil won't let ppl sleep (I guess in the beginning), and I was taking it at 6pm.. so :S

She told me I had to continue paxil along with another medication which was going to relief the symptoms but I said no, I'm scared of paxil now.. I think I've read so many bad things about it on the internet that I've lost all my faith on it, even if it helped me in the past. I was scared of it since I started taking it 5 days ago, so I guess.. paxil along with my fear caused me this.

So she asked me: "don't u trust paxil anymore?" and I said "I don't" so she told me to take another medication: it's Conexine, I haven't heard about it, but I know it's a SSRI, is it like Paxil? I would like to know if any of u have tried it.

Thank you all.

P.S: I'll try to be med free again for a while before trying conexine.

medication sucks
hi

There are a lot of opinions here, but some must be taken with a grain of salt.
Just be aware of this.

I reinstated but was close to the 4th week off. I went to Zoloft and let me tell you why I did not like it.

1) Diarreah
2) Could not sleep at night. had to take medication
3) very jittery
4) Anxiety creeped during the day. I hear that is an initial side effect that goes away as the medication starts to take effect. A short term benzo can assist.

Now this does not happen to everybody. And Zoloft is the # 1 AD prescribed in the US. So it must be OK for lots of people.

I saw great mood improvement by week 3 on Zoloft but could not deal with side effects. So doctor sent me back to what my body responded well: Paxil.

I have a question: You were off Paxil for a long time ( 11 months). Why do you want to go back to Paxil ?

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtopaxil View Post
There are a lot of opinions here, but some must be taken with a grain of salt.
Just be aware of this.
There are a lot of opinions here, every one of them based on the experience of that member. None is any more legitimate than the next. What works for one person may not work for another. This means that everybody who asks for help has to weigh his or her options and make the best choice possible based on the information s/he's been given. That's not quite the same thing as "taking with a grain of salt," but simply understanding that each member's experience is unique and that our advice (including opinions) is based on that.

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. — Carlos Castañeda
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Backtopaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
There are a lot of opinions here, every one of them based on the experience of that member. None is any more legitimate than the next. What works for one person may not work for another. This means that everybody who asks for help has to weigh his or her options and make the best choice possible based on the information s/he's been given. That's not quite the same thing as "taking with a grain of salt," but simply understanding that each member's experience is unique and that our advice (including opinions) is based on that.
hi

I should have clarified that it included my own opinion of what I was about to say in my reply. My experience with Zoloft was how can I say, weird. So it should not be taken or as a guideline.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Lindelea

my psychiatrist didn't tell me to take paxil and conexine at the same time, she told me to stop paxil and start conexine, but I think I won't.

I decided to take paxil cause I'm moving to another country in 2 months and the anxiety is killing me, that's y ... not the anxiety one feels when a change like this comes into one's life, that's completely normal!, I'm talking about my anxiety disorder and my panic attacks.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Backtopaxil

Quote:
my psychiatrist didn't tell me to take paxil and conexine at the same time, she told me to stop paxil and start conexine, but I think I won't.

I decided to take paxil cause I'm moving to another country in 2 months and the anxiety is killing me, that's y ... not the anxiety one feels when a change like this comes into one's life, that's completely normal!, I'm talking about my anxiety disorder and my panic attacks.

Well any move will make anybody anxious. Are you moving with your family? They can give you moral support I guess as they may be experiencing anxiety, even if it is much more manageable than yours.

I get anxious before I travel, and want to cancel. But then I get on the plane and it is all fine. In the beginning I used to get frustrated by this, but now I know the whole play and I play along.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Wld

Lindelea, my doctor told me the exact same thing--just stop taking the Celexa and start the Zoloft. MY EXPERIENCE, it was disastrous. I'd strongly advise against doing this. Hope you feel better soon--I'm in the same boat, reinstatement NOT GOING WELL
Reinstated Celexa 10 mg. 12/14/11
Up to 20mg. 12/21/11 sick, horrible time
Down to 10mg. 2/7/12 giving up reinstating
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Wld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Lindelea

@Backtopaxil, I'm moving alone and it's not normal anxiety, it's my disorder which has always been there...

@Wld u just tried Zoloft for 1 day? I don't know if I'll try it, I think I won't. I'm sad things have not going well for u, y don't u quit Celexa? and try to be med free?? How have u felt on celexa?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Junior

Lindelea, rather than taking meds for your anxiety disorder, have you tried therapy?

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2009 23 Sept - 40mg; 12 Dec -30mg;
2010 Up and down - 25mg-30mg; 17 Dec-26mg
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

We are often capable of much more than we think we are
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Lindelea

I'm on therapy and it's been working but it's a long road, I just wanted to buy time since I only have only 2 months before I go, but apparently that doesn't work, I'll try to deal with this without meds anyways, paxil really made me feel like crap.

Btw, I see u r from Australia I'm moving there, to Brisbane

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Junior

*waves* Hiiiiiiiiii... I'm a long way south though.

You may be able to access therapy when you get here. I'm not sure how things work up there in QLD and where you stand financially but it's something to consider.

Also, have you read Claire Weekes book: "Hope and help for your nerves"? It is highly recommended http://www.claireweekes.com.au/products-books.html

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
texgirl
Regina Benzodictius

Quote:
it's not normal anxiety, it's my disorder which has always been there...
Doesn't matter; the techniques for dealing with it are the same. I think that if you work hard you can make a lot of headway in two months. Step one is allowing yourself permission to feel afraid; this is a big move and anybody would be nervous. But it's exciting, too! Remember that your body experiences the sensations of fear and excitement as essentially the same. (If you don't believe me, think about how much sexual responses mimic a panic attack!) So it's really all about how you spin it in your head.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Lindelea, rather than taking meds for your anxiety disorder, have you tried therapy?
I second this. Panic disorder is one of the most effectively treated issues without meds. Cognitive behavior and exposure therapy is highly effective, has no side effects, and is longer lasting than anything you can swallow. Its shown time and time again. My official diagnosis is panic disorder and my last dose of anything was over 6 years ago now. If I can do it (as have quite a few others here), so can you!

Stop thinking of your panic as something special that you have to treat in some special way. You're painting yourself into a corner that way.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
Backtopaxil

Quote:
I'm on therapy and it's been working but it's a long road, I just wanted to buy time since I only have only 2 months before I go, but apparently that doesn't work, I'll try to deal with this without meds anyways, paxil really made me feel like crap.

Btw, I see u r from Australia I'm moving there, to Brisbane
That is a big move, specially if you are going to be alone.

Honestly, I would consult with both your therapist and psychiatrist to get an honest evaluation to see if you are ready to make this move in two months.
Perhaps later in the year.

Big {{{{{hugs}}}}

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Lindelea

Thank you all.

I totally agree with u texgirl, about the sexual response being like a panic attack.. so true ;O

I'll try to look for therapy in aus. Junior and I'll also look up for Dr. Claire's book, thank you!

Wow, RangerNY, 6 year free! that's amazing! I hope to get there someday, I'm tired of living like this

@Backtopaxil :P huuuuggg, I already consulted with my therapist, he told me I was ready to make this move... so, I'll give it a try, or maybe I'll postpone it, I'm not sure yet, but I'll work hard on my anxiety from now on

Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Kay2020

I am glad you are not going to Zoloft! ? *hugs* I had my run in with that nasty drug and almost got divorced. My hope is that you can have your anxiety under control and not have to rely on any chemical.

Also it is very exciting to be moving to such a beautiful country! Congrats!

Kay2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Backtopaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2020 View Post
I am glad you are not going to Zoloft! ? *hugs* I had my run in with that nasty drug and almost got divorced. My hope is that you can have your anxiety under control and not have to rely on any chemical.

Also it is very exciting to be moving to such a beautiful country! Congrats!

My friends call it the "Angry Drug". Glad I missed on that one as well.

@Lindelea: Australia is beautiful. I spend a month down there and so much to see. People are very, very nice. So you get ready with your therapy and go girl.

( I think you are just nervous about the whole thing. Therapy should fix it.)

Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Wld

Quote:
@Wld u just tried Zoloft for 1 day? I don't know if I'll try it, I think I won't. I'm sad things have not going well for u, y don't u quit Celexa? and try to be med free?? How have u felt on celexa?
Hi Lindelea....no not a day, I tried it for a month. Looking back I think that might have been the worst piece of advice Ive ever been given (and took anyway). Switching from Celexa to Zoloft I think was the cornerstone to all the bad stuff that's happening to me now. I am going to be med free any day now. Good luck to you
Reinstated Celexa 10 mg. 12/14/11
Up to 20mg. 12/21/11 sick, horrible time
Down to 10mg. 2/7/12 giving up reinstating
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Wld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #21
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtopaxil View Post
My friends call it the "Angry Drug". Glad I missed on that one as well.

@Lindelea: Australia is beautiful. I spend a month down there and so much to see. People are very, very nice. So you get ready with your therapy and go girl.

( I think you are just nervous about the whole thing. Therapy should fix it.)
Where in this beautiful sunburnt country did you visit?

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Also, have you read Claire Weekes book: "Hope and help for your nerves"? It is highly recommended http://www.claireweekes.com.au/products-books.html
It is highly recommended by me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
Doesn't matter; the techniques for dealing with it are the same. I think that if you work hard you can make a lot of headway in two months. Step one is allowing yourself permission to feel afraid; this is a big move and anybody would be nervous. But it's exciting, too! Remember that your body experiences the sensations of fear and excitement as essentially the same. (If you don't believe me, think about how much sexual responses mimic a panic attack!) So it's really all about how you spin it in your head.
I second this advice, too!

Another trick that works for me is to mentally go into each part of the body and list out all the physical anxiety symptoms, and then tell myself they are just a bunch of uncomfortable physical sensations, not fear. When I'm thinking of the symptoms that way, it takes a lot of the fear away.

There are also some herbs that can be helpful for anxiety, such as valerian and passionflower. They have helped me enormously, but be cautious with herbs and supplements as individual responses vary.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg > Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg 4 Oct 3.7mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #23
Lindelea

Yes, I'll definitely buy that book, I hope there is a spanish version here in Venezuela.

and I love that second trick u said @songbird, to not to feed the "physical pain" with more "emotional pain", thinking that something bad is going to happen, I'm working with that technique

And regarding herbs, I started taking "bach flowers" (rescue remedy) to calm myself when I'm very anxious, I feel it has helped me, I'm tyring to have faith.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
And regarding herbs, I started taking "bach flowers" (rescue remedy) to calm myself when I'm very anxious, I feel it has helped me, I'm tyring to have faith.
I will suggest that using an herb to calm your anxiety is no different than using a benzo other than maybe the lack of adverse side effects. Even the name is bad - Rescue Remedy. Many therapists - and I believe that Claire Weekes would agree - would argue that using meds and herbs to "save" you from anxiety is an avoidance technique. There's nothing to be "rescued" from except the fear of how you feel.

I'm not saying there's never a reason to use the stuff, but something like Rescue Remedy should come after you've learned to calm yourself down. Going there first means you never learn what you need to learn to address your panic disorder. Next time, maybe tell yourself that you won't reach for the herbs until you've gotten the anxiety down by 50% yourself using other techniques. You don't have to shoot for zero anxiety. Just a 50% drop. You'll be surprised at what happens if you do that.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
Lindelea

that makes sense @rangerNY, totally agree :O thanks