our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
dyeman

Paxil Side effects help.

I just started taking paxil for my first time today a 20mg Paroxetine Tablet, USP.
I was wondering how long side effects should last because after an hour of ingestion i feel Drowsy,Slugish,Dry Mouth, Slight Headache, and feel really spaced out can't focus on anything.
I was wondering how long these side effects should last, a day, a couple hours, or should i contact my doctor about these problems, because i have schoolwork that needs to be done and i can't even focus on it. Also i was wondering if i could take Aspirin to get ride of my headache or is there bad interactions with these two types of drugs.

p.S. also in the first hour i started getting small shakes/jitters, and it feels like i'm nausea all the time, or well there is like some feeling of something being stuck in my throat.
dyeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Paxil Side effects help.

I moved your thread so it didn't get missed. I'd advise you to read some posts on this site....you'll get an idea of what you may be getting into.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Lindelea

Why did you start taking paxil dyeman? .. and welcome to the forum!
April 2011 - April 2012 / Paxil Free
April 2012 - Today / 20mg Paxil

This is an unknown awareness

(I've also tried Lamictal and Trileptal)
Lindelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
dyeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindelea View Post
Why did you start taking paxil dyeman? .. and welcome to the forum!
i started taking paxil for my sever depression and anxiety. and thanks, also i've previously taken Efexor,Lexapro,Zoloft and none of them gave me any side effects let alone on the first dose day.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Lindelea

and why did u stop taking all those other medications? you should make a "signature" to know more about you.

I tried to reinstate paxil a few days ago and I had all those symptoms u describe above, along with insomnia, restless legs and a horrible burning pain in my chest, I couldn't handle it, so I stopped and I feel better now. Sometimes those symptoms go away and sometimes they don't, u should read other posts just like @scotty said, there is a lot of information in here about it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
dyeman

Quote:
and why did u stop taking all those other medications? you should make a "signature" to know more about you.

I tried to reinstate paxil a few days ago and I had all those symptoms u describe above, along with insomnia, restless legs and a horrible burning pain in my chest, I couldn't handle it, so I stopped and I feel better now. Sometimes those symptoms go away and sometimes they don't, u should read other posts just like @scotty said, there is a lot of information in here about it.
the reason i stopped taking most the meds. i was on is because they never helped 2-3 months down the line i still felt the same amount of depression but with the effects of being on anti-depressants i felt more spaced-out then normal so i just stopped taking them.

so these are normal side effects even from first day of dosage, thats odd.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
dyeman

@Lindelea
February 2nd 2012 - 06th 2012 10 mg Paxil
February 06th - now / Paxil free again

i have two questions about your signature 1) i thought paxil took 4 weeks to kick in, and 2) why were u only on it for 4 days?

you don't have to answer the second one if you don't want to i'm just curious
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
dyeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I moved your thread so it didn't get missed. I'd advise you to read some posts on this site....you'll get an idea of what you may be getting into.
I have read many other posts about paxil on other forums and on this one. I saw no side-effects for first time ever dossing with paxil. I was just curious because I have never seen this happen before.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Lindelea

Yes, paxil kicks in in about 4 weeks, or more or less... it depends on the person, we are all different.

I only took it for 5 days cause I couldn't cope with the side effects, I felt terrible, I couldn't sleep and I felt really really anxious.

Are you seeing a therapist?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Bird2173

I honestly didn't feel anything when first taking paxil. After 2-3 weeks I started feeling great. No stress.....this lasted about 10 months. I started taking it 4 years ago. 20 mg. I wish I had known what I am learning now.

I am wondering if you are withdrawing from the other meds if you just stopped taking them abruptly? I have done this as many on here and its hell.

I am new here - been lurking for sometime. I am looking forward to tapering from this drug.......
Bird2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
dyeman

Quote:
Yes, paxil kicks in in about 4 weeks, or more or less... it depends on the person, we are all different.

I only took it for 5 days cause I couldn't cope with the side effects, I felt terrible, I couldn't sleep and I felt really really anxious.

Are you seeing a therapist?
yes i am, so if the side-effects persist and i can't cope with it should i quit cold turkey. obviously if i do this i will defiantly contact my therapist.

Thankyou for the info. i hope my side-effects lessen or go away, because i really need this medication. I have been depressed for over 12 years with almost little to no treatment. And the stuff i did take never seemed to help, even if the side-effects are making me spaced out and not focus on school work i'd rather have that then be in this repetitive slump.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
dyeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird2173 View Post
I honestly didn't feel anything when first taking paxil. After 2-3 weeks I started feeling great. No stress.....this lasted about 10 months. I started taking it 4 years ago. 20 mg. I wish I had known what I am learning now.

I am wondering if you are withdrawing from the other meds if you just stopped taking them abruptly? I have done this as many on here and its hell.

I am new here - been lurking for sometime. I am looking forward to tapering from this drug.......
is this drug really that dangerous should i use a different SSRI. i want to know more about what i am getting myself into. Also the previous time i used a SSRI was about a year ago i did something really stupid which could of given me serotonin syndrome so i stopped taking the medication afterwards.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeman View Post
is this drug really that dangerous should i use a different SSRI. i want to know more about what i am getting myself into. Also the previous time i used a SSRI was about a year ago i did something really stupid which could of given me serotonin syndrome so i stopped taking the medication afterwards.
Paxil is one of the worst ssri's for side effects, FDA warnings and withdrawal...second only to effexor. If you've had no positive effects from everything that you've taken, it's time to look into some other treatment for your depression(which is most likely exacerbated by the on and off multiple drugs). Have you ever had any therapy?

You don't way how long you've been using the various drugs...tolerance may also be in play.

MLK
Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Bird2173

Quote:
I am still learning myself.....but I can give you an overview FOR ME

......had I known it was going to effect me so negatively/horribly I would have never started. I am tired constantly, have head spins when I get up fast, I sleep any chance I can, I leave the house for work and get the things I need to live. I have more money in my bank account than I have had in years because I haven't spent much in the last 4 years but I make more mistakes with my check book because my memory is shot. Oh and I am 50lbs heavier. At one point sex was almost the last thing I thought about and that was only when I made myself. I want off this drug so badly!! I know that the withdraws are going to be tough but that's what paxil does.....

Have you read the w/d threads?? Check them out

Also are you sure you are not in withdraw from the other SSRI's?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
dyeman

i used effexor,zoloft,lexapro for about 1-3 years in all. after that i was off for about 1-1.5 years and now im starting paxil day two tomorrow. I will keep posting about progression and side-effects, but like i said even when i was on these drugs they didn't seem to do anything but make me more spaced out.

p.s. also is it okay to take paxil at 8:30 am, then the next day at 6:30 a.m. two hours previous from last day dose, or could that cause overdose from the previous paxil still being in your system. Just was curious because the box said to take doses at the same time during the previous dose.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
i used effexor,zoloft,lexapro for about 1-3 years in all. after that i was off for about 1-1.5 years and now im starting paxil day two tomorrow. I will keep posting about progression and side-effects, but like i said even when i was on these drugs they didn't seem to do anything but make me more spaced out.
Not to be rude, but those on this board are well aware of the progression and side effects...they have lived it for years and are now going through the very long withdrawal process. Sorry..you're not going to get much encouragement here for the use of paxil.

MLK
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
dyeman

Quote:
I am still learning myself.....but I can give you an overview FOR ME

......had I known it was going to effect me so negatively/horribly I would have never started. I am tired constantly, have head spins when I get up fast, I sleep any chance I can, I leave the house for work and get the things I need to live. I have more money in my bank account than I have had in years because I haven't spent much in the last 4 years but I make more mistakes with my check book because my memory is shot. Oh and I am 50lbs heavier. At one point sex was almost the last thing I thought about and that was only when I made myself. I want off this drug so badly!! I know that the withdraws are going to be tough but that's what paxil does.....

Have you read the w/d threads?? Check them out

Also are you sure you are not in withdraw from the other SSRI's?
when i quit cold turkey off the other ssri's i never felt any side-effects
also my memory is already shot from the previous anti-depressents/anti-anxiety medication i was on thats why i can't give u a certain time of when i was on them, because when i was on them i forgot i was taking them, and ended up doing something so horrible to my body that i could of died or had serotonin syndrome. i heard about people gaining a crap ton of weight on this drug, and u just re-assured me this is true (even though on the effects of paxil it says loss of appetite)

I am just so tired of being depressed and not having help my dad says I have been depressed my whole life, which could be true i only remember it as far back as i can. But that is besides the fact of growing up in a ****ty environment with abusive alcoholic parents, the only reason I am still here today despite how much I hate this world and most the *******s in it is because i think of suicide as such a selfish act I could never go through with it so I just go day by day living moping around and usually getting my basic needs in.
I need help and i can't do it on my own the reason i started taking paxil was because my life was chaotic on top of being depressed for who knows how long, my brother gets back into heroine, and my dad tends not to give a ****. I ended up talking to my Councillor and he told me to call his crisis line for intake, i did and got a appointment at the MHMR where i was diagnosed with Sever Clinical Depression (give or take the clinical i forgot what the full name was for it) that is the sum of it even though it is the lesser of the evils. I just really need to get better i stay cooped up in my room all day playing video games to pass the time and to get little enjoyment out of them, since i find no enjoyment in anything else.
Well anyways that's a little background information about me,

P.S. is it against TOS to say what almost caused me to have seritonin syndrome, or the use of my brothers heroine could i somehow get into trouble for this
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
dyeman

Quote:
Not to be rude, but those on this board are well aware of the progression and side effects...they have lived it for years and are now going through the very long withdrawal process. Sorry..you're not going to get much encouragement here for the use of paxil.
well what if i had worse side-effects shouldn't i post them incase someone should advise me to stop the drug, if you don't think i should post my side effects then i won't i'm new to this board and was just curious, and somewhat scared.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
well what if i had worse side-effects shouldn't i post them incase someone should advise me to stop the drug, if you don't think i should post my side effects then i won't i'm new to this board and was just curious, and somewhat scared.
You need to realize that this site is for those who want to get off paxil, not those who want to take it. Everyone here will advise you to not take Paxil.

Your history isn't going to be solve with a pill. You've done this many times before and here you are in the same situation. Time to change the channel and get into therapy to have a lasting solution.

MLK
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
dyeman

Quote:
You need to realize that this site is for those who want to get off paxil, not those who want to take it. Everyone here will advise you to not take Paxil.

Your history isn't going to be solve with a pill. You've done this many times before and here you are in the same situation. Time to change the channel and get into therapy to have a lasting solution.
i didn't realize everyone on this board was trying to tapper of paxil/or against it, i would love therapy but i don't know if that would be enough.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
Bird2173

I would encourage anyone to come here that needs help working through their thoughts about what they are dealing with on or off paxil. People need to walk before they run, right?

It's true though come off the paxil while you can.....after a few months you might be surprised at the improvement in your life. Stay with a therapist also or find another that won't put you on the next SSRI....they are all bad IMO.

You have to try to now live your life....and not whats already happened. Your an adult and you can live your life differently then you were raised.

Just try to be off the AD's for a few months.....I am not convinced that the previous meds you took aren't also a symptom of your problems now.

Your life sounds pretty ****ty the last few years......try coming off and just see what might happen.

When was the last you were on another SSRI before paxil?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
dyeman

Quote:
I would encourage anyone to come here that needs help working through their thoughts about what they are dealing with on or off paxil. People need to walk before they run, right?

It's true though come off the paxil while you can.....after a few months you might be surprised at the improvement in your life. Stay with a therapist also or find another that won't put you on the next SSRI....they are all bad IMO.

You have to try to now live your life....and not whats already happened. Your an adult and you can live your life differently then you were raised.

Just try to be off the AD's for a few months.....I am not convinced that the previous meds you took aren't also a symptom of your problems now.

Your life sounds pretty ****ty the last few years......try coming off and just see what might happen.

When was the last you were on another SSRI before paxil?
about 1-2 years ago, the thing is when i try to function without AD's even though none have worked yet, I can't.
when i wasn't taking anti-depressants I never wanted to leave the house. I couldn't do day-to-day chores I couldn't Focus on school work, I had no energy. Had rarely any sleep. and felt like **** all the time. Better yet i couldn't function at all. I can't live life like this not being able to do anything and feeling sad all the time its not normal to be depressed for over 12 years. i've tried alot of stuff exercise, help mettings nothing helped thats why i started AD's again.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Bird2173

The side effects from one pill does not sound right from what I have read and experienced....I would contact your doctor and not taking anymore paxil. Also, know that if the others didn't work, paxil probably wont either.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
scotty
Administrator

If you've done the same things to help the situation since you were a child, then you've got to find another source of help. Drugs aren't going to work for a lifetime, so even if you do get some positive effect initially, you're still going to have to find another solution, since these drugs usually stop working after 10-15 years. You're to young to be entering the merry go round of drugs.

It's going to take work to find someone, and it's going to take work on your part to take those teachings to heart. But it won't backfire on you after 10 years.

MLK
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
dyeman

thanks for the info.