our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
julleri

Vitamin B12 deficiency and withdrawal (nerve pain)

I don't know why my vitamin B12 levels were low at the recent doctor visit. I went back the next day to get the B12 shot, after the advice of you all here, especially Scotty (thank you). The day after the shot I felt a lot of nervous energy. It got so high that I did have a panic attack. However, I am now very concerned about this vitamin B12 matter. I was reading the symptoms for B12 deficiency, and it seems I have a lot of them. I don't know where this came from, though. I have never had a problem with my nervous system in the past.

Which makes me wonder - is this B12 deficiency, or is this from withdrawal, or both?

Also, I want to try taking B12 supplements until my next shot, which is in four weeks, but I am scared about how much and which kind to take. The shot was strong. I don't know how much was in the shot. Furthermore, I don't know how low my B12 level was. I will be sure to ask next time.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe the sublingual B12s as maybe I'm having a hard time absorbing the B12 from food. I read that the sublingual B12s are absorbed by blood vessels in the mouth. I don't know what level, though. 500 mcg? 1000 or 2000? I really don't know. I read that B12 is not toxic and that any extra gets both stored in the liver for later use and excreted by urine.

I am not sure if I have pernicious anemia per se. I read it's an autoimmune disorder that attacks the cells in the stomach from producing intrinsic factor, which makes your body absorb B12.

I just really need my nervous system to calm down. I don't know if it's this deficiency. I don't know if it's withdrawal. I really don't. But it's got be very scared. Any ideas on what I should do?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency and withdrawal (nerve pain)

You get the low B12 treated. That has nothing to do with withdrawal. It's a completely different cause. This should make you feel better..you may have found the cause of a lot of the problems that you are dealing with. You've been looking for the answer, and you may have just found it!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

First thing you need to do is take a breath. You have a B12 deficiency, you get it treated. One thing at a time here. You've been looking for a cause for what you're feeling, you finally may have found one. Talk to your doctor about what may be the best course of treatment from here on out.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
julleri

Lauries,

Thank you for the comments.

Just to follow up, I went ahead and got some sublingual B12 tablets today. I didn't know what amount to get, as the doctor didn't really specify. He just said to try one of them out there, they range from about 500 mgc to several thousand. I took one today, and I really felt it several hours after I took it. I had all this energy, I felt as if something "missing" from me was put back. However, I'm worried about the level and that it might be a little too stimulating for me, especially given that I'm going on four weeks without Prozac (the withdrawal is hard but I'm sure nothing like some on here have experienced). I guess if I find it too stimulating over the next few days I could stop and try 500. All I know is I need to do this (take b12), as for some reason, when the initial bolt of energy subsides, I feel a bit better.

Also, I have been reading about b12 supplementation. It's pretty interesting. First of all, if you cannot absorb b12 (and I'm not sure what my problem here is with this - I really need to ask the doc again next time I see him, he said he could run more tests to see exactly why this vitamin was low and for other reasons of malabsorption possibilities, pernicious anemia type things, etc), you are still able to get just enough if you take a dose that's very high, say 3,000 or 5,000 mcg, because your body will by chance scrape just enough mcg of the vitamin from this mega dose to satisfy your needs, typically. That's very interesting. It also comforts me to know that you can't really have "too much" vitamin b12 like you can with certain other vitamins.

I was also low in D3, so I got 1000 IU of D3 today, too. I don't really know why I'm low in D3, as I live in Arizona and get lots of sun. Although, when I took the test, I hadn't been getting very much sun at all. And I know a lot of people are low in D anyway.

It is just so hard, Lauries (and everyone else), during this very scary time. I mean, every little thing I become afraid to ingest. Some foods, a vitamin (for goodness sakes). And this is where the therapist is working with me. She asked how much fish oil I was taking and I told her only one of the tablets, and she kept saying "no, take the three a day, it isn't going to make you sick, I know you're scared, but you need to get more of the omega three in you, etc etc." How do you deal with the fear of ingesting things? Was it this hard when you were tapering, LC? I read that you got pretty sick towards and had a hard time with eating foods, too. That is my hardest thing now. Hopefully it will get better and better over time.

OK I wrote a lot (again, as always. ). Time to relax.

Jason
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
rose32

Julleri,

If you feel better and you think it is too much. You might want to taake half in the am and the other half at noon. Sometimes just spacing your vitamins helps.

Just a thought. Since you have the low b12 taking it would be a good idea to take it.
Rose
2008-2012-provigil 200MGS
????-2012-lortab 10MGS
PAXIL TAPER
2000-2012-paxil 40MGS 30-20,started taper 10/2010
10/2011-15--11/5/11-14--11/27/11-13
12/26/11-11.7--1/15/12-9.5--2/13/12-8.6
3/11/12-7.7mg--4/4/12-6.93--5-7/12--6.2mg--
6/9/12--5.6mg--7-12-12--5.1mg--8-19-12--4.5mg
10/1/12--4.1mg--11/4/12--3.6mg--12-4-12--3.25--
12/31/12-2.9--2/10/13-2.6 3/?/ 1.3-4/15 -0-
rose32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose32 View Post
Julleri,

If you feel better and you think it is too much. You might want to taake half in the am and the other half at noon. Sometimes just spacing your vitamins helps.

Just a thought. Since you have the low b12 taking it would be a good idea to take it.
Rose
I know. Now I'm scared that I bought too much. I think I should have just started at 500 mcg sublinguals. Damn it! I looked at the tabs and they're kinda small to cut.

I don't want to take 3000 mcg/day anymore, lol. It just seems too high.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
julleri

OK yeah I took too much. I'm lying in bed now wigging out and full of tons of nervous energy. Holy crap!

I took a 3000 mcg tablet. Why did I take so damn much?!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julleri View Post
OK yeah I took too much. I'm lying in bed now wigging out and full of tons of nervous energy. Holy crap!

I took a 3000 mcg tablet. Why did I take so damn much?!
You don't know that you took to much.If one is very low in b12, that would be a normal dose to take. Call your doctor and ask how much you should be taking. B12 isn't like the other b vitamins. It's not stimulating and doesn't create what you are describing.

Julleri, this isn't about what your swallowing causing the problem. This is about your fear of what your swallowing causing the problems.

MLK
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
You don't know that you took to much.If one is very low in b12, that would be a normal dose to take. Call your doctor and ask how much you should be taking. B12 isn't like the other b vitamins. It's not stimulating and doesn't create what you are describing.

Julleri, this isn't about what your swallowing causing the problem. This is about your fear of what your swallowing causing the problems.
Hi Laurie,

I called my doctor and they called me back (thank God, I didn't think they would).

The shot they gave me last week Friday was 1000 (probably mcg? Seems that's how B12 is measured). They said that my level was low, it was 204, and a normal range is 243-894. They said that I don't need to take a daily and that a couple of monthly injections is enough. Is this true? They said they give a few monthly injections, then retest for general blood levels.

It's so hard to trust doctors now, going through all these things. I am thinking the amount I took was high, because I felt OK after the shot (some nervous system reactions) but that pill drove me mad in my bed last night. I felt WAY too stimulated in my nervous system. I know it doesn't make logical sense, what I'm saying. But I did feel it. I don't think it was my fear alone.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan for the doc. B12 isn't a nervous system stimulator...as I've said before, you get yourself all worked up when you need to take something new, and then you try to blame those feeling on the pill..that just isn't fact. Heck, if one gets anxious about taking an aspirin..takes it and then is anxious, you can't blame the aspirin.

Do what the doctor tells you and breath...just breath.

MLK
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
julleri

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan for the doc. B12 isn't a nervous system stimulator...as I've said before, you get yourself all worked up when you need to take something new, and then you try to blame those feeling on the pill..that just isn't fact. Heck, if one gets anxious about taking an aspirin..takes it and then is anxious, you can't blame the aspirin.

Do what the doctor tells you and breath...just breath.
Laurie,

How do people get through this? Today I feel pretty weird. It's a bad day. How do people get through this withdrawal? I feel so "unreal." I can't explain it.

I feel like I'm going crazy.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Backtopaxil

Why are you taking B12s after your doctor gave you a shot?

I get a shot every week but it is due to my other condition. If your doctor tells you every month, then follow his advice.

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
audrealjade

Quote:
Laurie,

How do people get through this? Today I feel pretty weird. It's a bad day. How do people get through this withdrawal? I feel so "unreal." I can't explain it.

Believe me I am right there with you about feeling unreal. Please know that you are not alone. I know what you mean when you say you feel like you are going crazy - but it is just a feeling only. You are still very much a sane person just your brain is in total chaos right now.
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtopaxil View Post
Why are you taking B12s after your doctor gave you a shot?

I get a shot every week but it is due to my other condition. If your doctor tells you every month, then follow his advice.
I don't really know. He said that I could take them, but didn't specify an amount. After calling to confirm today, the office staff said that if I'm getting a once-monthly shot of 1000, that I don't need to take any each day.

I am going to continue to take 1000 IU of vitamin D3 per his instructions. I really did feel stimulated by the B12. It gave me good energy at first, but last night I felt so terrible.

If I'm getting monthly shots and they say I don't need them daily, to give my nervous system time to heal I am not going to take them everyday then.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrealjade View Post
Believe me I am right there with you about feeling unreal. Please know that you are not alone. I know what you mean when you say you feel like you are going crazy - but it is just a feeling only. You are still very much a sane person just your brain is in total chaos right now.
It really is in total chaos. There is no better way to describe this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:

People do get through it and so will you. Right now, you're your own worst enemy. Only you can stop obsessing, no one can do that for you and no amount of advice or cheerleading will do it for you. If you can't do it on your own, find a good CBT therapist to help you.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
People do get through it and so will you. Right now, you're your own worst enemy. Only you can stop obsessing, no one can do that for you and no amount of advice or cheerleading will do it for you. If you can't do it on your own, find a good CBT therapist to help you.
Thanks Laurie,

It is so hard. I am actually with a great CBT therapist and see her every Friday. It is still very hard, though.

I really hope I can get through it. Please pray for me.

Jason
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Jmarie

Quote:
B12 isn't like the other b vitamins. It's not stimulating and doesn't create what you are describing.
Ok, I'm confused. I thought B12 WAS one of the stimulating B vitamins and that's why they put a lot of it in those 5 hour energy drinks (500mcg). I always thought that was the most stimulating so I would try to avoid it. So which of the B vitamins are stimulating and which aren't?
2010: 14mg-10.5mg
2011: 10.5-7.6mg
2012: 7.5-6.8mg
2013: 6.7-6.3mg
02/24/14: 6.2mg
04/24/14: 6.1mg
07/15/14: 6.0mg
09/15/14: 5.9mg

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessG View Post
Ok, I'm confused. I thought B12 WAS one of the stimulating B vitamins and that's why they put a lot of it in those 5 hour energy drinks (500mcg). I always thought that was the most stimulating so I would try to avoid it. So which of the B vitamins are stimulating and which aren't?
Nope, B6 can be stimulating for some, but not for all. B12 is actually known for improving mood and it's a critical component for red blood cell production.

MLK
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
Jmarie

Quote:
Nope, B6 can be stimulating for some, but not for all. B12 is actually known for improving mood and it's a critical component for red blood cell production.
Thanks! That's weird that B6 can be stimulating cause I thought that was the one that was known to have a calming effect and that's why they put it in some natural sleep supplements. I guess it can be calming for some and stimulating for some. Man, these B vitamins are confusing.
2010: 14mg-10.5mg
2011: 10.5-7.6mg
2012: 7.5-6.8mg
2013: 6.7-6.3mg
02/24/14: 6.2mg
04/24/14: 6.1mg
07/15/14: 6.0mg
09/15/14: 5.9mg

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessG View Post
Thanks! That's weird that B6 can be stimulating cause I thought that was the one that was known to have a calming effect and that's why they put it in some natural sleep supplements. I guess it can be calming for some and stimulating for some. Man, these B vitamins are confusing.
People react very differently to vitamins. I can't take any of them or I get spleen pain, go figure, LOL! Bottom line is that a good diet negates the need for vitamins, unless there's a physical problem with absorption.

MLK
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
julleri

Quote:
People react very differently to vitamins. I can't take any of them or I get spleen pain, go figure, LOL! Bottom line is that a good diet negates the need for vitamins, unless there's a physical problem with absorption.
And this is where I'm confused, too. I really did feel a boost of energy from the B12. Even my doctor said that it would give me energy. It did, and it was too much for me to handle.

I'm really going to try waiting until the next shot before I take any B12. It was just too stimulating on my nervous system. I hope that I am able to absorb it. I don't know why mine was so low. Maybe my lack of appetite since I haven't been eating as much as I used to is causing it to appear I can't absorb it?

In any event, I'm not taking it again. It was way too hardcore on my system.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
obliviousjo

D3 is linked to fibro jason...it helps me alot..I take 2000 iu daily...kind of a high dose compared to others I guess...it helps my moods...In wirhdrawl tho, all the vitamin b's are a lil too stimulating for me....I only take them in the morning or I won't sleep...Hope you get all this vitamin stuff down to a tea I seen some anxiety apps on my cell the other day and thought of you...have you ever checked any of them out? Just a thought
Lyrica 2007- 2010 ?
Cymbalta 60 mg. 2005-2011
75 mg.Effexor (Venlafaxine) march 2011
Remeron march 2011-jan 2012 ct off
Last Effexor ( venlafaxine) feb 10 2012 Had to CT after very short wean....Severely allergic to it
obliviousjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by obliviousjo View Post
D3 is linked to fibro jason...it helps me alot..I take 2000 iu daily...kind of a high dose compared to others I guess...it helps my moods...In wirhdrawl tho, all the vitamin b's are a lil too stimulating for me....I only take them in the morning or I won't sleep...Hope you get all this vitamin stuff down to a tea I seen some anxiety apps on my cell the other day and thought of you...have you ever checked any of them out? Just a thought
OK, at first I read this as D3 is LINKED to CAUSING fibro issues. LOL. I thought, "oh boy, another thing I have to take cuz it's low and that may cause issues in w/d, here we go." Then I got it right! Whew! I'm glad it's helping you.

I'm going to try sticking with 1000 IU D3 for now, as I have been getting a lot of sunlight. In fact, I probably won't even need supplementation if I keep getting as much sun as I do.

Yeah, that B12 vitamin was a little intense. I hope that I am able to naturally absorb B12 and that this was just some fluke thing that a few shots can treat. It's all I need is to add some new health issue to my mix.

Fibro pains are a bit down today. I don't know why that is. Cracking isn't that bad today, either, but MAN AM I HYPER tonight. And I DIDN'T have any B12. So, maybe the B didn't do as much to me as I thought it did?

I'm so sick of this. I'm so envious of everyone I see who just gets to "just live." They do whatever they want cuz they aren't paralyzed with the fear of "gee, how am I feeling this day or hour or MINUTE!"

And anyway, apps for anxiety? OMG no that's NOT what I need, is to have more portable ways to track my health anxiety. LOL I'm already on my iPhone all dang day long checking symptoms and freaking out about stuff. LOL as a matter of fact, while waiting for my therapist appointment last Friday, I pulled up PaxilProgress on my iPhone. She said I'm not to come here anymore, and here I was, in the office, on it! She said she knew I'd be back here anyway (btw, she has absolutely nothing against this site or anyone here, it's just a part of the therapy that I'm not to be worrying about my health anymore...)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
obliviousjo

Lol jas, no the apps are to help ppl with anxiety..Guess ppl play these hypno apps at night to fall asleep with, or listen to while in the middle of a panic attack..I loove the relax deeply app that I play when I can't sleep...
And about all the normal ppl...I get that thouhgt but trust me, half the ppl that we Think are normal, are indeed fighting their own demons and insecureities as well..they just aren't saying them out loud Your prefectlly normal, we all are, just going thru some crap at the moment
Lyrica 2007- 2010 ?
Cymbalta 60 mg. 2005-2011
75 mg.Effexor (Venlafaxine) march 2011
Remeron march 2011-jan 2012 ct off
Last Effexor ( venlafaxine) feb 10 2012 Had to CT after very short wean....Severely allergic to it
obliviousjo is offline   Reply With Quote