our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Journals
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Journals Track your own progress

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Goosey

Rebuilding My Life

I intend on being an all-new me by June 2015, the month of my 59th birthday. I intend on making my body the cleanest, healthiest, strongest, and leanest its every been, even as a child. All the things I'm doing to make that happen go hand-in-hand. The thing that is going to be the most difficult and the trickiest is withdrawal from Paxil and Lamictal. But I am determined. I made this YouTube video to remind myself why Paxil can't be a part of my life anymore:

http://youtu.be/Z1rTWaUfjMw

I can't believe this hellish addiction started with an innocent response to my gynecologist's question if I had any concerns. I said "I think my PMS is becoming worse." BAM! I became a lamb to the slaughter by the worse drug lords in the history of mankind. This is no exaggeration. I had no idea I was being given a monster drug that I would not be able to stop taking, a drug that I've been on for 16 years (since 1996). I thought the gyn would give me some kind of sedatative drug that I would only take at the time of need.

I did not have depression. I did not have anxiety. I didn't have anything except discomfort for one or two days, once a month. Which, by the way, I don't have anymore as I've gone through menopause. But I'm still on Paxil!

The rest of my Paxil story is similar to everyone else's - tried to quit cold turkey and thought I was going to die. Tried to wean myself off but didn't do it slow enough. I've had uncontrollable crying, zaps, nausea, severe headaches, hopelessness, suicidal thoughts and rages - I even had a rage in public and was cited for disturbing the peace. All while I'm trying to get off Paxil.

TO BE CONTINUED
Goosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
aberdeen

Re: Rebuilding My Life

So happy for you! This is great. You can do it....I'm there with you, so are all of us here.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 poop-out. 3 month taper, tried 3 different ADs. Horrible time. It took 7 months for any stability.
Paxil taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
April 29/14-3.2mg
June 2/14-2.9mg
July 4/14-2.6mg
Aug 9/14-2.3mg
Sept 13/14-2.1mg
aberdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
So happy for you! This is great. You can do it....I'm there with you, so are all of us here.
Thank you! It means a lot!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
chantingjo

Hi Goosey
Can't believe you have been on this drug all that time for pmt and no one questioned it! My experience with doctors is that they just see i've been on it a while and assume that means i must need to be on it!
most doctors don't have the time to investigate further than that to be honest. i gave up listening to doctors on this kind of thing a while ago because i know me much better and there is so much information online such as this site

anyway i'm sure you can do it with the help of this site there are some great tools here
21st Sept - 14mg
30th Oct 13mg
5th Dec - 12mg
1st Feb 12 - 11mg
2nd Mar 10 mg
28th April - 9 mg
27th May - 8
29th July - 7.2
16th Oct 7
23rd Oct - 6.8
15th Nov - 6.6
24th Dec - 6.4
10th Feb - 6
9th June - 5.8
25th oct - 5.6
25th nov - 5.4
27 dec - 5.2
22 jan 5
3 apr 4.8
24 may 4.6
22 jun 4.4
06 Jul 4
03 jul 3.6
22 sep 3.4
"be the master of your mind rather than let your mind master you"
chantingjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
lotusflower

Hi Goosey,

Welcome to PP! You are in the right place. Like you, I tried to taper (re: dr. instructions) way too fast multiple times and the suffering was unmanageable.
You can do this if you keep in nice and slowwwwwww.....also there is a lot of support here, more than I ever got outside cyber world.
best, joanne

11/25/10 50 mg. zoloft 12/30 45
1/19/11 40.5 2/6 36.5 3/7 32.8
3/29 29.5 4/20 25 5/28 22.5
6/16 20.2 7/7 18.2 7/28 16.4
8/18 14.7 9/8 13.0 9/23 12.5
10/10 11.2 11/6 10.6 11/9 11.2
12/7 10.5 1/1/12 10 2/1 9.5
3/1 9 3/23 8.5 4/30 8
5/29 7.5 6/26 7 7/31 6.5
8/22 6 9/15 5.5 10/20 5
12/17 4.8 (made my own liquid)
12/26 4.5 1/28 4.1 2/4 4.0
February 9, 2013 last sliver zoloft 4.0mg.
February 10, 2013- 0 mg. zoloft
lotusflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
NoRx4me

Hi Goosey,

Love your videos (just watched a couple)!

I just wanted to say, the "3 weeks" until you feel Lamictal withdrawal isn't the case for everyone. When I was on Lamictal and ran out for a few days, I felt dizzy/woozy and headaches come on after a few days. Other symptoms appeared later.

You may want to consider doing one drug at a time. However, I did notice that you changed things up as symptoms changed and thats the best thing you can do; listen to your own body. But if you reduce Paxil from 30 to 26.5 AND Lamictal 100 to 75, it may be either one or both causing symptoms.

Also, if you double your vitamin intake (pills, I'm guessing), that's more pills that your liver has to process and may have a negative effect. It may make it harder for your body to process the Paxil and Lamictal. I'm really guessing with that though (from what I vaguely remember reading somewhere). I'm no expert. I think the juicing and veggies are a great idea! I couldn't even think about diet changes, I was so confused when I was withdrawaling (and quit some cold turkey). I still haven't done such a great job at improving my diet.

Best of luck to you. Keep posting.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Welcome, Goosey! As another who was put on Paxil for off label use, I totally know where you're coming from. I echo NRX's suggestion about tapering one drug at at time We'll be here for you every step of the way!

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Thank you so much, Aberdeen, I've enjoyed reading your kind and supportive posts elsewhere.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Welcome, Goosey! As another who was put on Paxil for off label use, I totally know where you're coming from. I echo NRX's suggestion about tapering one drug at at time We'll be here for you every step of the way!
Thank you, LC!! In just one day's reading I've so much useful info. You have no idea (I take that back, you probably very much do) how comforting it is to know you guys are here.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRx4me View Post
Hi Goosey,

Love your videos (just watched a couple)!

I just wanted to say, the "3 weeks" until you feel Lamictal withdrawal isn't the case for everyone. When I was on Lamictal and ran out for a few days, I felt dizzy/woozy and headaches come on after a few days. Other symptoms appeared later.

You may want to consider doing one drug at a time. However, I did notice that you changed things up as symptoms changed and thats the best thing you can do; listen to your own body. But if you reduce Paxil from 30 to 26.5 AND Lamictal 100 to 75, it may be either one or both causing symptoms.

Also, if you double your vitamin intake (pills, I'm guessing), that's more pills that your liver has to process and may have a negative effect. It may make it harder for your body to process the Paxil and Lamictal. I'm really guessing with that though (from what I vaguely remember reading somewhere). I'm no expert. I think the juicing and veggies are a great idea! I couldn't even think about diet changes, I was so confused when I was withdrawaling (and quit some cold turkey). I still haven't done such a great job at improving my diet.

Best of luck to you. Keep posting.

Thank you, NoRX, for the great feedback. I am just becoming aware of liver function issues from reading the forum so I will have to do some research regarding vitamin interaction with SSRIs and liver impact. I am doing an entry in this journal about my Lamictal withdrawal update. I look forward to your comments.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflower View Post
Hi Goosey,

Welcome to PP! You are in the right place. Like you, I tried to taper (re: dr. instructions) way too fast multiple times and the suffering was unmanageable.
You can do this if you keep in nice and slowwwwwww.....also there is a lot of support here, more than I ever got outside cyber world.
best, joanne
Thank you, Joanne. Oh yes, I plan to go so slow it won't even look like I'm moving. Having gone CT and withdrawing too rapidly, I am scared to death of the withdrawal effects and am determined to treat my body and psyche as gently as humanly possible.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Goosey

Rebuilding My Life - May 6, 2012 - Day 17

This forum is great. It has provided what I've been looking for on the net - people who have gone or are going through SSRI withdrawal and are sharing their experiences. The really great thing for me is that it validates my extremely slow tapering theory, which is now not a theory as the folks here have said that is exactly what works.

First, today's effects: A very, very, very slight swimming of the head and that's all!!! I purposely turn my head quickly to see if I'm going to get dizzy and nothing major. And the itching has stopped!! Hallelujah!

No emotional upheavals, although I did have a test of sorts. My boyfriend, CAH, came over today to take me grocery shopping. He thinks he has a stellar sense of humor and can make anyone laugh. Well, he said something unkind to me about my looks that was suppose to be funny. My feelings were hurt but I didn't react bat-**** crazy. I didn't cry, I didn't try to insult him back and I didn't get moody. I was calm without a struggle to be so. I spoke to him like a patient kindergarten teacher speaks to a young child who doesn't know any better and I did it in a nice way! Anyhoo - emotions appear to be in check and that's a good thing.

I really think my consuming such huge quantities of veggies and fruit is key to the lack of a severe reaction to my 12.5% reduction in Paxil (that is after the first week).

Lamictal Effects: Got a lot of good references from the folks here and found out that Lamictal has a lot shorter shelf life than I had come to believe. I cut my dosage from 100 mg to 75 mg on May 1, five days ago, and I haven't felt any other effects than a slight swimming of the head. Perhaps my original estimation of three weeks is something I figured out just for me based on various factors I can't remember. I am still going to brace myself for MAY 22 for a new wave of withdrawal effects stemming from the Lamictal.

If I get lucky and have no significant reaction from the 25% reduction of Lamictal then I will know that I can reduce it faster than Paxil. I am in no hurry to wean off of either drug - I have the rest of my life, if need be. My goal is to get these dangerous drugs out of my system as comfortably as possible.

MY 95% RAW FOOD DIET AND GREEN JUICING:
I have been VERY consistent in juicing and eating vegetables. I doubled-up on my commitment to CONSISTENTLY eat raw and to eat as many super foods as possible. I have been trying to remember what first turned me on so strongly to this diet but after watching a bunch of powerful documentaries on food, the food industry and the "outbreak" of obesity I am so determined to eat the most healthful way I can afford.

My new favorite veggie is the beet! It's a superfood and has profound effect on the brain. Unlike pharmaceuticals, scientific research has proven that drinking beet juice can do wonders for the body and brain.

"There have been several very high-profile studies showing that drinking beet juice can lower blood pressure, but we wanted to show that drinking beet juice also increases perfusion, or blood flow, to the brain," Daniel Kim-Shapiro, director of the Translational Science Center, said in a press statement. "There are areas in the brain that become poorly perfused as you age, and that's believed to be associated with dementia and poor cognition."
Source: Natural News
I bought $11 worth of beets today:

I intend to juice two to three beets every day, along with my green juices.

I got a foot-long all veggie sandwich at the Subway today. I had them cut it into fourths and wrap each fourth separately, that makes it easier for me to eat it slowly.

VEGGIES AND FRUIT I JUICED (or ate) TODAY:
spinach
beet leaves
lettuce
mint
pineapple
pear
cucumber
celery
ginger
carrot
beet

I am soaking some beans, another superfood, to cook tomorrow. I plan on adding onions, garlic, bay leaves and good old salt and pepper. I bought some tortillas to make bean tacos.

That's all for now.....
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
iwantpeace

Hi Goosey,

I just wanted to say I watched all your videos and loved them. I also love your food suggestions, please keep them coming if you can. I will try and follow them as well.

How do you make a 'green juice'? Also, is it easy on the stomach? I have IBS so am sometimes scared to try new things, but it looks like you really have it together and i'd kindof like to try and follow your diet as best I can.

xoxo

L
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Bilo76

I will follow this journal. You seem like an interesting person with an interesting opinion.
I wish you the best of luck with getting of paxil.

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
nz1

Welcome Goosey,
im the same as you, given this poison for the most inappropriate of reasons.
developed pain in my hands and arm from keyboard overuse. I wasnt even told what i was given was an anti depressant. i didnt have depression....but boy oh boy do i have it now. And those around me label me as a person suffering from depression ...its so tragic..and so not true. What i am is a recovering drug addict who is suffering the most horrific of withdrawal symptoms.
I bet if a nationwide advertisement was placed in newspapers pointing people to this site there would be a national outcry....and a huge awakening amongst users who probably have no idea how to put the pieces together.
These drug companies have made Hitler look honest and kind.
Why,... well at least he was honest and signalled his intentions, to terminate peoples jobs, fleece them of their clothes and belongings and money,separate families, then kill them.
This is exactly what the drug companies are doing
....i find it no coincidence that i havent had a full time job for 12 years..basically since the day i started taking this crap. no energy for anything.
i must stop or ill just go on and on.....
why dont doctors spend 10 minutes and read this site.!
28 Sept10 drug free..psych & emot. torture
8 feb12 windows of nrmlty(16 mnths)
28 Sept12 stabilising (24 mnths) (what anightmare)
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
nz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantpeace View Post
Hi Goosey,

I just wanted to say I watched all your videos and loved them. I also love your food suggestions, please keep them coming if you can. I will try and follow them as well.

How do you make a 'green juice'? Also, is it easy on the stomach? I have IBS so am sometimes scared to try new things, but it looks like you really have it together and i'd kindof like to try and follow your diet as best I can.

xoxo

L
I would just love it if you would try with me! You've inspired me to do this post, here in my journal, on my green juice recipes.

Just like we are slowly tapering off our meds, we should slowly taper the change in our diet. That's what I'm doing and I will post about it in my journal.

xoxo
G
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Goosey

Rebuilding My Life - My Juice Recipes

I remember seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah's old show talking about "green juice." They had a juicer and he juiced and talked about the ingredients and what they did for the body and when he was finished he gave it to Oprah to taste. The veggies he used sounded horrible so I couldn't wait to hear what she was going to say. She said, "clean." She didn't sound like she hated it but she didn't sound excited by any means.

Then one day I was listening to some program on the radio and I heard a woman say that in Beverly Hills, the green juice is the new face lift. Huh?! It's a long story of my discovery of green juice and raw plant-based diet so I will say that the very first green juice I made, Dr. Oz's recipe, made me gag, really, it came back up in my throat and I gagged.

But I didn't give up and some wasted veggies and fruits later, I have the perfection combination for my taste buds. I love my green juice and veggie juice.

Goosey's Green Drink
spinach [or kale, greens, bok choy, lettuce, etc.] 4 cups
cucumber, peeled, 1
carrots, 2
celery, 2 stalks
fuji apple, 1
lemon, 1
pineapple, 1 1/2" sliced ring
parsley, 1/4 cup
cup mint, 1/4 cup
ginger, 1/2" piece

Light Green Drink
celery, 4 stalks
cucumber, 1
spinach, 6 to 7 leaves,
pear, 1
pineapple, 1 slice
ginger
mint

Carrot Juice
carrots, 4
apple (or pear).1
pineapple, 1 slice

TO BE CONTINUED
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Kay2020

I wanted to stop by and wish you luck. You can do this

Thanks for the tips on beets.

I love my green smoothies (my favorite is collard and kale), I make them every morning and my apple and carrot juice in the afternoon.

I also enjoy wheat grass juice and grow my own grass to juice.

Kay2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Goosey

Rebuilding My Life - May 8, 2012, Day 19

Not feeling well at all. I feel so draggy and empty and have had a headache all day long. The headache isn't bad enough to take something for them but just enough to make my day feel dreary. I've been in day all day, hugging my dog and trying to talk myself into applying for a job. Time is passing me by and I have nothing to show for all the work I've done in my life - oh well. I am on the verge of feeling sad. Along with that I feel weak, I could barely get enough energy together to juice my green drink and then I only did one. My appetite is almost nil but I did have a bean burrito from Del Taco and some sliced cucumbers and tomatoes from my fridge.

Since I started my taper on April 20, I decided to take my meds at exactly the same time every night. I use to take it anywhere between 8pm to 5am and I knew that would have to cease as my body is going to need all the regularity I can possibly give it. So tonight when my alarm went off on my cell phone I was busy being draggy and dreary and didn't hop to. I ended up taking my meds 45 minutes late and boy oh boy did I feel it! My head was swimming like crazy, to the point of holding on to the walls! That won't happen again.

What I think is the biggest reason in change of mood is that I've stopped taking the MedCaps I got at the medical marijuana dispensary:

The funny thing about the med mj is that I thought the sativa strain is the one that would prevent the depression and get me out of bed and the indica strain would help me fall asleep when I wanted. It was just the opposite.

The sativa would make me so sleepy that i would have to stop everything and go right to bed and kept me asleep for a good 4 hours. The bad thing was that I would feel draggy when I awoke and I just hate that. I don't want to wake up tired. BUT then I would take an indica capsule and it would really lift my mood. No loneliness or depression or fixation on bad decisions.

I stopped taking them today because I realized that I started taking them in the second week of my taper, before I felt any emotional symptoms and didn't give it enough time to see if I could get through the symptoms alone.

I've been drinking my green juice as I'm typing this and I am feeling a bit better. I am going to slice an apple and eat it with peanut butter then go watch "Breaking Bad" on Netflix.

If I don't feel better in 5 days I am going to get more Medcaps.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
love18

Goosey,I am so sorry to hear this,but just hang in there, remember it's not you! it's the drug,your body is coming in homeostasis it will pass,just don't get discouraged, you are such inspiration to me being very positive, determined and open minded to what to expect.....I am praying for you !!! To overcome this wave ,just swim and breath ...and this shall pass too!!!
love18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by love18 View Post
Goosey,I am so sorry to hear this,but just hang in there, remember it's not you! it's the drug,your body is coming in homeostasis it will pass,just don't get discouraged, you are such inspiration to me being very positive, determined and open minded to what to expect.....I am praying for you !!! To overcome this wave ,just swim and breath ...and this shall pass too!!!
Thank you!! I appreciate your concern and encouraging words - they mean a lot!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Goosey

Rebuilding My Life - May 9, 2012, Day 20

Feel much better today! No head swimming, no sadness. Still have the intermittent pain in right rear head. Doesn't last long enough to take anything for it. HOWEVER, I have congestion and an earache in my right ear. It feels like it does when riding in a plane and only chewing gum can help break through the congestion.

Had a very disappointing situation today and felt on the verge of tears but it didn't happen!! I dread the uncontrollable crying. Especially since my mother has passed and I have no one who can soothe me like she could. (Eyes tearing up). I do have CAH and he knows everything - he's watched my videos and read my journal - and he's coming over tonight.

I'm going to 7-Eleven to get some coffee, I love their hazelnut and it's only a $1 when you bring your own mug , then CAH is going to take me to California Pizza Kitchen so I can get my favorite salad.

In two days it will have been three weeks on 26.25 mg.......WAIT A MINUTE....it's been nine days since I reduced Lamictal from 100 mg to 75mg and maybe, just maybe, this earache thingy is a w/d side effect. Hmmmm. Whatever it may be, I've decided to stay on these dosages until I feel absolutely OK. That might be a month or two!

Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
iwantpeace

You're doing great, goosey. And, I totally admire your courage and positive attitude!!!! xox

I am also going to try your green juice recipe this weekend
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2020 View Post
I wanted to stop by and wish you luck. You can do this

Thanks for the tips on beets.

I love my green smoothies (my favorite is collard and kale), I make them every morning and my apple and carrot juice in the afternoon.

I also enjoy wheat grass juice and grow my own grass to juice.
Thank your for the encouragement. Ah, wheat grass! That is some powerful medicine. As soon as I have the $$ I am going to start back drinking it regularly. Do you think your smoothies and wheat grass has helped alleviate some or all the w/d effects?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Goosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantpeace View Post
You're doing great, goosey. And, I totally admire your courage and positive attitude!!!! xox

I am also going to try your green juice recipe this weekend
Thank you! I hope you like the recipe. You can always adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. What kind of juicer do you have? I have the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer which is pretty much the cheapest one on the market. Let me know.