our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
rrr

how long does paxil take to start working?

i was wondring how long it takes paxil to start working or make you feel normal again?i was told it could take a month to 6 weeks is this true?how long did it take before you felt normal again?also i was wondering how many years how can take paxil for before you body gets use to it?or does this never happen?thanks and info will help.

Last edited by rrr : 12-12-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
safarigal

Paxil can take 4 to 6 weeks to take effect, but you will never feel "normal" even on Paxil.

Why were you prescribed Paxil? Were you prescribed Paxil by a psychiatrist or regular doctor?

For most of us here, Paxil created more problems than it helped.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
rrr

by a psychiatrist i have derepession and anxiety.why will i never feel normal again?is everyone on this board against paxil or what?ugh
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
safarigal

RRR

Many of us on this board were prescribed Paxil for situational depression and anxiety. But we were never told of the side effects of Paxil nor the withdrawal problems associated with Paxil. So yeah, the overwhelming majority of people on this board are against Paxil. Read many of the posts and you'll know why.

There are many better ways to deal with depression and anxiety including: diet, nutrition, exercise, supplements and therapy.

Paxil free since Nov 2002!

Forum Rules

Withdrawal FAQ
safarigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
Ariella

Hi RRR! Many people have taken Paxil with the hope that it would make them 'normal' or stop the depression/anxiety permanently. Unfortunately, Paxil is a symptom reliever akin to aspirin. It may reduce your ability to feel your problem, but it doesn't make it go away, and therefore if you are equating normalcy with not feeling anxious or depressed, you're headed for a big load of disappointment.

It can make you feel good for a while, sure. And if you're working on reading a heap of books, getting counselling, introspecting, challenging your illusionary fearful and/or depressed ideas, surrounding yourself with daily support from others, then it can be a tool to give comfort for a while. However, that short term comfort often comes with a long term impact of neglected health as there is a potential for a serious withdrawal experience. Some people have gone 4 years without Paxil after having had it for a while, and have still not felt the side-effects of taking Paxil or withdraw from it, leave completely.

Medicine ignores the negative impact under the childish belief that life means to not be dead. You can breathe and not be dead will depressed, anxious and in a heavy withdrawal caused by Paxil, but are you living? Heck no. On the flip side, people who are depressed and anxious don't have much of a life either if they are stuck in its cycles. However, creating a living is easier without Paxil. Here's why.

When you feel anxious or depressed, does that not motivate you to want to make it stop? Have you not avoided putting your hand on a boiling kettling to prevent discomfort? Imagine how messed up that defense system would get if you removed your ability to feel discomfort? Do you imagine you would be trying as hard to make depression/anxiety stop if you took away your anxious and depressed feelings? Of course not. Out of sight, out of mind. Skinny people don't obsess over losing 200 lbs when they weight 160lbs (unless they hate themselves). Now, if Paxil just suppresses the symptoms, but doesn't cure anything, what is Paxil doing differently then just drinking alcohol to 'numb' yourself from feeling difficult things? How is it different than snorting cocaine to numb yourself from the hate you have for yourself (not that you do, but if you did)? I'm not suggesting you do any of those things of course.

Cocaine is an SSRI , just like Paxil interestingly enough. Keep that in mind.

When you say 'normal', I know you mean 'well'. Paxil can make you feel well, and may do that within a month or so, but your judgment of what "well" means to you, will be constantly challenged as you lose control of the ability to motivated to decide what well means, because avoidinng anxiety and depression, is currently part of what you deem is being well. By taking Paxil, you're taking away your context, and you risk beliving that a life full of medication and side effects, is what being 'well' is, and you may forget what it's like to be well without all 3 (Paxil, depression and anxiety).

Some people have become desensitized to Paxil, and I can't say from experience and anecdotal research when that can occur. For some it's been months, while others it's been years. It just seems to suddently occur. There's some research saying that anything over 20mg doesn't offer any therapeutic advantage. It's like saying if it takes 3lbs of pressure to move a light switch, putting 6lbs of pressure doesn't do anything more than that 3lbs did, since the switch is moved either way. At least with 3lbs, you have less risk of breaking the switch.
10mg September 2000 / 5mg October 2000 / FREE November 2000
Intense Withdrawal symptoms well into 2001
Withdrawal symptoms freedom by 2002
Ariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:37 AM   #6
sarah
"Texts gerbils!"

I felt "normal" again, then lost 4 years of mine, and more importantly, my childrens' lives. Yes, I am anti paxhell. It is nothing more than a band aid. It won't cure you rrr. Only you can do that.
Sarah x
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
McKenzie

How long does it take?

When I first started taking Paxil it started working the same day. In fact I slept through the whole day and continued to feel sleepy for weeks after my first dose. I don't take it, or any SSRI now and no matter how depressed I might get I will never, ever take any of those drugs again.

McKenzie
Old 12-15-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
hope

Depression

The paxil lifted my mood fairly quickly, but I slept for two solid weeks. After two weeks the sedatative effects lifted but I stayed tired for the pretty much the whole time unless I had a heft dose of caffeine in the morning. I know the depression lifted but I had some other strange stuff happen, like the sexual side-effects. However, I was thinking I was only going to be on it for a couple of months for the post-partum depression to lift so I put up with them. That couple of months turned into 7 years thanks to the nice little thing they call "discontinuation syndrome".

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
Paxilover

Re: how long does paxil take to start working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr
i was wondring how long it takes paxil to start working or make you feel normal again?i was told it could take a month to 6 weeks is this true?how long did it take before you felt normal again?also i was wondering how many years how can take paxil for before you body gets use to it?or does this never happen?thanks and info will help.
RRR I felt the difference within a few days. Now I know the doctor told me 2 weeks, but I felt it right way. It was like that for a few of my family and friends that took it and take it as well. But medically they say 2- 4 weeks.
My advise to you is to read what you can on the med and then decide for yourself if you think it will help you or make more of a problem. It is your life and up to you to make that decision. What makes you comfortable.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
tcl18

In mY case it took about 10-15 days (on off experince over time). I feel tht pxail is a good "band aid" to get you stabe so tht you can deal with real long term solutions, like therapy, behaviour modification, etc. Unless you are comfortable taking apill everyday for the rest of your life, a pill that the manuafacturers admit to not knowing the effects of long term use, please explre other treatment options once your stable enough to go there.
tcl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #11
catherineh

It took me a few weeks to feel any difference, and maybe 2 months to feel normal. I felt the seditive effect right away, but after maybe 6 mos I didnt feel groggy all the time. For me, paxil was a lifesaver at the time, but I too wasn't told anything about the trouble of withdrawl, and I wish everyday I could go back and take any other drug. I have used and dropped buspar (busparone) several times over the years for anxiety, and would reccomend that to anyone. For me the paxil took years for any side effects like weight gain and sexual disfunction to occur. I was dizzy and had a bit of a dry mouth at first, but I find those manageable.
catherineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
RR

Why anyone would dare try Paxil after visting this board -- and reading just a few of the withdrawal horror stories -- is hard to fathom. Its like walking through a burn ward and asking any of the people there if they think playing with gasoline and matches is a good idea.

Taking Paxil is the drug equivalent of playing with matches and gasoline. "Don't do it."
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
Pat Shields
Ms. Pee Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr
i was wondring how long it takes paxil to start working or make you feel normal again?
It took about 3-4 weeks for me. But in the meantime, I experienced one or two hallucinations and this incredible, paralyzing sedation to the point of once not being able to get out of bed and feed myself. It all evened out eventually, but it was like trying to break through a body condom to get over the fatigue and drowsiness enough to function.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine
Pat Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:12 AM   #14
pk_AlittleChokedUp

Hey everyone!, my name is Paul and I am a new member here. I first started getting panic attacks about 7 months ago and I've been on Paxil ever since. All I can say in regards to your post, "triple r", is that you have to be patient. I know a lot of people are anti-paxil, but I have to say, it's been working for me. And yes, I have gained 50 lbs, but I've always wanted to gain weight so I am happy with that.

I need to get something off my chest, and I hope you don't mind. Once I started to feel "normal" again, I started using pot and ecstasy again. I know, its freakin terrible, but I went through the phase of "why me?".. you know? I had forgotten that I needed to figure out a way to manage my mind and my body, so that when I got off Paxil, I could live a life without panic attacks. So now Im exercising and eating right again.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and that Im glad that Im not alone. -paul

also.. thanks ADMIN for this site, ... im glad i found it.

Last edited by pk_AlittleChokedUp : 01-27-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #15
miffy

Hello all,

I visited this board about 2 months ago as I was having a really hard time adjusting to paxil/seroxat...I went from 10 to 20, then 30mls.
i fely a 'lifting' effect from paxil straight away, but also had all the normal side effects while adjusting to it..
It was described by a gp for stuational depression/anxiety
I'e been on my dose of 30mls for over a month.
Over christmas I ran out of seroxat and after hearing horror stories on this board, i was expecting horrible 'discontinuation' effects..
To my suprise I felt nothing. No withdrawl symptons at all, which suprised me seeing the hard time I had when i first took it..
However, my depression/anxiety did return.
I was able to go straight back on to 30mls without any problem.
The side effects I have are sleepiness...I find forcing myself to do things helps a lot, a trip to the shops or doing some work helps to reduce it for me.
There are also some sexual side effects, which aren't too bad and I consider a fair trade off for the positive effects of the drug.
I have an insatiable apetite for food and did begin to gain weight, but have replaced my cravings for sweets with fruit.
My situation is improving and after discussions with my gp it was decided i should stay on the medication untill around september, then i will taper off very slowly.
The experiences of most people on this board sound horrific and i an not trying to deny them.
However, im just trying to give a more balanced view.
im glad this medication was available to me and im happy to continue taking it.

edit...re the post above this...i also started taking e again after feeling better....i havent really got anything to say about it, but intersting somebody found the same thing...i drink the same as i did before as well and find i dont really suffer hangovers..

Last edited by miffy : 01-27-2005 at 05:10 AM.
miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #16
Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy
However, im just trying to give a more balanced view.
im glad this medication was available to me and im happy to continue taking it.

edit...re the post above this...i also started taking e again after feeling better....i havent really got anything to say about it, but intersting somebody found the same thing...i drink the same as i did before as well and find i dont really suffer hangovers..
Hello Miffy I am one of the few people here who is in a love-hate relationship with Paxil. I love it because it works, and I hate it becuase it is so very very hard to get off of....for me. I'm currently on 37.5mg, after trying to get off of it. When I tried to get off of it, I was unsuccsessful and ended up in the psych ward in a hospital. I felt as if I had lost a war. But on the positive side, it has helped my depression and my OCD. In the beginning, Paxil has worked wonders for me. Now, it's continuing to do that, but I'm more afraid of the long term affects it has, and that we don't know about. I've been on it for 7 years now.

As far as drinking on Paxil....I drank anywhere from 2-9 times a month for the whole year of 2004, and only had 2 hangovers. Now, I'm trying to stop drinking on it. I'm just afraid of the long term affects of drinking on Paxil.

Good Luck to you

I have been taking Anafranil since 2005.

Alcohol free since 1/1/08.......Last drink was 12/31/07
Bern is offline   Reply With Quote