our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
rooster

Anxiety and acid reflux connection??

Hi guys,
Sometimes when I'm eating food (which is very rare these days!!) I can be feeling fine, enjoying my meal and then randomly straight after swallowing I feel like there's acid stuck in my throat. It burns like hell, and the more I swallow the more the lump comes back. It scares the crap out of me!

12 months ago I ended up at the ER and was there for 6 hours in a mess. I had to spit out my saliva because I couldn't swallow anything. The burning lump would just sit there. Then, just like that, the acid seemed to evaporate and dissapear.This has happened for years.

I take losec 20mg daily. I don't suffer from "normal" heartburn ie, indegestion etc, it just heads straight to my throat. It's terrible and makes me cautious everytime I eat!!

Does anyone here suffer from something similar or have any thoughts of it being anxiety related?? I had this way before starting and finishing paxil and I've always had anxiety probs.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
bdm777

Re: Anxiety and acid reflux connection??

I have never experienced it that bad. I have been off Rx meds for over 3 yrs, but occationally I will have this feeling like I cannot swallow while eating. I usually just sit back, try to relax and stop eating and it goes away. I think it is stress/anxiety related. But when I was on meds i had it a lot.
bdm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
silence4now

Losec is one of the drugs like Prilosec isn't it? Which means it inhibits the production of acid? Ever wonder why its not working? I recommend that you look into some alternatives. Have you ever been checked for a hiatal hernia? Ginger cured my acid reflux and hiatal hernia. Try drinking a cup of Yogi ginger tea after meals.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
hope

Anxiety can definitely cause acid reflux. You might want to keep track of what you're eating when this happens. Some acidophilus every day will help your GI tract health. Also, try to be in a calm state when you're eating. I mean not trying to stuff food down on the run, etc.

I had some hefty acid reflux when I was on this liquid raw vegan diet. I was also drinking apple cider vinegar. (Not a good idea - long story... )

Took an antibiotic and that burned the heck out of my GI tract and couldn't swallow for a couple of months. Also had that problem when I got off the Paxil, had a constant lump in my throat that wouldn't go away. The antibiotic burned my throat, the Paxil withdrawal caused severe anxiety and the lump in my throat. I also had the lump in my throat after I started the Paxil. I love spicy food (live in the southwest). And I had this hefty helping of salsa and chips yesterday and I was had a couple of episodes where the stuff seemed to creep up into my throat. It was brief and it didn't bother me. I know that some of those acid reflux pills can cause anxiety. You might want to look it up on their website. I took Prilosec and it made me anxious. Might want to check their website to see if that can be a side-effect. Sounds strange I know. But I know the prilosec definitely made me anxious and was very surprised to see it listed as an adverse reaction.

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
elisa

I was taking Nexium for 8 months. About a week ago, I started to drink Yogi Ginger Tea which was recommended by Silence. It is working!! Thank you Sulence. The taste is good too. Needless to say, Nexium is OUT of the picture now.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
rooster

Thanks for the replies.
Silence - yeah, I've been checked for a hiatus hernia, I also had an endoscopy as well and it didn't show anything. I didn't have the acid in my throat at the time though.

I do find that this happens a lot more when I'm anxious.

Hope - It doesn't seem to matter what I'm eating. It just happens out of the blue with no signs. Whe it does happen I start to panic because it's sooooo terrible!

bdm777 and Elisa - thanks for responding. I'll try and relax more and hopefully when my anxiety decreases, so too will this problem.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
silence4now

Glad its working elisa. I actually had to drink some day before yesterday. Was having terrible burning and discomfort in my chest. Drank the tea and BAM it was gone within a few hours. It either works or it's a tricky coincidence.

Rooster, consider that it could all be related to the Paxil withdrawal. I know a former Paxil user who said she had the same symptoms and was diagnosed with esophageal spasms. You wouldn't necessarily have acid escaping into your esophagus, it could just be the gas being produced from stomach contents. The ginger will help you digest your food and avoid gas from acid.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
appygirl

Acid Reflux....ha yea I can relate. Had it so bad that I was taking meds for it everyday. I would wake up in the middle of the night choking and then throwing up. Yea, it was bad.
appygirl is offline   Reply With Quote