our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
stardust79

day 16 of complete withdrawal...Adrenaline surges. Help!

Ok so This has been a 9 week journey for me and 12 years on paxil. I finally decided after christmas that for the 3rd time I was going to get off paxil for good because it had turned me into a monster, given me M.E and a whole range of health problems and I cut myself off from the world.

so went for the prozac method because slow liquid weaning sent me over the edge back in 2002 so thought I would try the long half life approach. drop from 40mg of paxil to 20mg and add 20mg of prozac. This was fine, I felt fine physically, no change mentally or emotionally. Week 4 drop down to 10mg of paxil and upto 40mg of prozac. Within an hour I felt so ill! Stuck with it for 2 weeks and gradually I started to not be able to eat through nausea and 2 weeks in had a weird fear of the airplanes flying over my house and thought world war 3 was starting so couldn't go to sleep.

Went to the doctor that afternoon, she suggested I maybe stay where I am on the 40mg of prozac and 10mg of paxil. Well that night all hell broke loose. woke up after 2 hours sleep in the middle of the night shaking, adrenaline surge, I could feel the heat burning up in my adrenal glands and I just felt terrified. Of what? I can't say. Imagine someone was holding a gun to your head, it felt like that. Not my normal panic attack which was why I was put on paxil in the first place. I used to have panics in public places which were based around my fear of vomiting.

Anyway. After 18 hours of this I decided to take 20mg of valium to calm myself down and along with 2 zopiclone and could still not sleep and I wanted to die. I ended up calling an ambulance because I had took too many valium and because I just wanted someone to help me. The on call Psychiatrist reccomended I stop the paxil completely because I was going through severe withdrawal anyway and stick with the 40mg of prozac. After 2 days of severe hell continuing and my mother also noticing I got worse after taking my 40mg of prozac I returned to the hospital. They told me to drop down to 20mg of prozac and see how I felt. Still felt like hell, I actually felt like I was going insane, the rushes of constant adrenaline was sending me over the edge and I actually had an extreme urge to throw myself in front of a train or jump out the top window and just kill myself.

The local mental health team finally took me on and put me on 15mg of mirtazapine and kept me on 20mg of prozac. Now on day 16 of complete withdrawal off paxil and although I am getting better if I am truly honest with myself I am still nowhere near ok. I have a few good days then have these surges of adrenaline which actually I feel there is something seriously wrong with my adrenal glands now because of 12 years of paxil I feel it has done something to me coming off it. The doctors say this is me being anxious and it is not withdrawal anymore....I beg to differ having only ever had these feelings when attempting to withdraw from paxil and never ever before I went on paxil was I ever suicidal, irrational or have these feelings of adrenaline surges which is the main symptom I cannot cope with because it terrifies me and I want to die everytime I get it.

I just wonder if anyone has had this, does it go away after a while and is there a way to cope with it because this is killing me and I will NOT go back on paxil again to get rid of these feelings.

Current and past meds:
1996-1997 prozac 20mg
1997-2000 venlafaxine
2000-2002 paxil 20mg
2002 failed withdrawal up to 30mg of paxil
2002-present zopiclone 7.5mg for insomnia due to anxiety withdrawing
2007 increased to 40mg paxil (much to my dismay)
feb 2011 failed paxil withdrawal
Feb 2012 20mg of prozac and 20mg paxil
late feb 2012 40mg prozac and 10mg paxil
march 4th 2012 20mg prozac
march 10th 2012 20mg prozac and 15mg of mirtazapine, diazepam 2mg, promethazine 25mg for sleep, beta blockers for adrenaline rushes
late feb 2012 40mg prozac
1997-2000 venlafaxine
2000-2002 paxil 20mg
march 10th 2012 20mg prozac and 15mg of mirtazapine,
stardust79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Xpaxilslave

Re: day 16 of complete withdrawal...Adrenaline surges. Help!

I know you are not going to like this but I really think the only thing that is going to help this is going back on the paxil. My doctor tried to switch me as well but I felt the same way as you. I could not take it anymore and reinstated at half my original dose and it slowly went away. I think you tapered too quickly and it seems from all the postings here about the switching to prozac rarely works. Unfortunately there is no quick way to get off theses drugs. If you do reinstate but still want to taper off wait until you are stable and then reduce no more than 10% of your dose every 3-6 weeks.
I really hope you feel better soon. Believe me I do know how you feel.
Xpaxilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
scotty
Administrator

This is pretty common(I know this isn't what you want to hear) with a prozac switch. Some history of Prozac may help put it in perspective. The clinical trials for Prozac hid the information that the "participants" were given benzos to combat the side effects(increased anxiety the main one) with taking prozac.

You've been all over the place with your dosing and the multiple drugs. I, personally, never recommend switching, even for the belief that a longer half life makes it easier..it doesn't.

At this point getting stable is going to be key, and then weaning one drug at a time VERY slowly. Valium and ambien aren't helping the situation due to their known rebound anxiety problems.

16 years of psychiatric drug use isn't going to turn around overnight. This has to be a long term commitment to slow weaning. Don't add anything, don't switch to anything...just stay the course and get stable...unless you consider going back to just paxil.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Two questions:

1. What does "put you over the edge" mean with regard to your attempted wean in 2002?

2. Exactly what do those "adrenaline surges" feel like? Be specific and try not to use the phrase "it feels like".

I can't imagine how the doctors can completely discount the role of the meds in what you're experiencing, but odds are its not all the meds either. My first guess is that the meds are causing problems and you're fueling the fire to some degree in how you're reacting. Very common for many many people so take heart in that fact.

This is all doable. Not always a smooth road but you can get to where you want to be with a good plan and the right attitude.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
stardust79

Going to hell and back for nearly 3 weeks I most certainly not go back on paxil. I have actually found out my adrenal glands are exausted from such a long use of ssri's and have been bed bound pretty much for 2 years because of what 40mg of paxil had done to me physically.

I am trying to stabalize at the moment on the meds I am on. I know the diazepam is not a good idea long term but for now I need it to calm me down.

The adrenaline surges @rangerNY feel like a burning under my chest, a complete feeling of terror for no reason at all, heart beat goes up to 118 beats per minute, my stomach flips and I feel like I need to go to the toilet and I want to scream, be near someone because I feel like I am going insane and and get incredibly terrified. I am on beta blockers for this which does reduce it a little but doesn't stop it. It truly is terrifying. At the moment I have to have someone in the house with me at all times or I start to get very distressed and frightened. Considering for the last 2 years I have cut myself off from everyone and sat in a different room to everyone else all day to be in peace and quiet this is weird for me.

As in over the edge, the same thing happened to me to what is happening to me now, however that was only for 2 weeks because they put me straight back on paxil.

I know I did it too fast, but slow weaning had the same effect. I reduced at 2mg per month and after I dropped 10 mg the same thing happened. So if slow weaning didn't work then I may aswell stay off the paxil now, because whether I did it slow or too fast the severity of withdrawal was still the same.

I am not as bad as I was 2 weeks ago, I am still getting bad days, and real panic and adrenaline surges, but at least it's not lasting for days at a time now. I will not go back on paxil because this last 9 weeks in total would of been for nothing, plus physically apart from minor zaps and a little dizziness I feel better than I have in 10 years. It's emotionally that I am not ok

Oops edit to my signiture I am currently on 20mg of prozac and for 12 days 15mg of mirtazapine which is a trycyclic not an ssri. I find this is helping stabalize me a little
1997-2000 venlafaxine
2000-2002 paxil 20mg

Last edited by stardust79 : 03-21-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust79 View Post
The adrenaline surges @rangerNY feel like a burning under my chest, a complete feeling of terror for no reason at all, heart beat goes up to 118 beats per minute, my stomach flips and I feel like I need to go to the toilet and I want to scream, be near someone because I feel like I am going insane and and get incredibly terrified.
You are describing a panic attack in textbook terms. I suspect that what you thought was panic - that led you to Paxil in the first place - was high anxiety but not actually panic. If it was you'd recognize it now.

Don't take this as a put down, but you're doing everything wrong with regard to dealing with how you feel. You've already progressed to thinking that you need someone in the house with you to keep you safe (you don't) and you're using a benzo (that you know is a bad idea) to escape the sensations. This is a slippery slope.

Panic will not harm or kill you and you are not going to go insane. That is fact. The jumble of meds is likely the primary trigger, but reacting in terror is making it worse. The fear is absolutely real but the danger is not. Job one is to start understanding and accepting this or you'll be stuck trying to flee from your symptoms and that will keep you on the medication train which I think is what you're trying to avoid.

When there are "chemical" forces at play you may not be able to stop the anxiety, but learning not to fear it is a must if you're going to get where you want to be. Do yourself a favor and go get anything by Dr Claire Weekes. Her books are on Amazon and they're cheap (Hope And Help For Your Nerves is the place to start) and I think you can download the Pass Through Panic audiobook from Amazon or iTunes immediately. She does a great job of taking you through the process. Invaluable while you're working out the meds and withdrawal stuff.

It stinks, but the odds are high that you will have to learn how to accept and deal with anxiety if you want to be med free. Difficult and very uncomfortable, but not forever, and like I said before all doable. Millions have come before you and lived to tell the tale. You will too.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
SGramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
This is pretty common(I know this isn't what you want to hear) with a prozac switch. Some history of Prozac may help put it in perspective. The clinical trials for Prozac hid the information that the "participants" were given benzos to combat the side effects(increased anxiety the main one) with taking prozac.

You've been all over the place with your dosing and the multiple drugs. I, personally, never recommend switching, even for the belief that a longer half life makes it easier..it doesn't.

At this point getting stable is going to be key, and then weaning one drug at a time VERY slowly. Valium and ambien aren't helping the situation due to their known rebound anxiety problems.

16 years of psychiatric drug use isn't going to turn around overnight. This has to be a long term commitment to slow weaning. Don't add anything, don't switch to anything...just stay the course and get stable...unless you consider going back to just paxil.
I can vouch for that. I was already on one though. If you need to add one, that is not a good thing. Last thing any body needs i our position is another drug.

I did a quick change to Prozac from Paxil after it pooped out, and it did not do much for me.
2mg Colozapam
Seroqel 50mg Jan- mid Feb, and 100mg since then.
SGramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
stardust79

Thanks everyone for your replies. This site is so much better than another one I was using which was just full of putting fear into you and negativity.

See my panics before I went on SSRI's were never like the ones I am suffering now. I had a fear of vomiting and avoided going out because of it. My panics would involve sweating, shaking and extreme nausea. What I am experiencing now is 100 times worse. I did actually get over my fear of vomiting 2 years ago, paxil never helped it, in fact it made it worse. I got over that phobia with the help of holistic therapy and counselling.

Paxil really was the beginning of the end for me. As I say it never helped my phobia, it actually sent me into a spiral of depression which was never there before the drugs. I have ended up with a painkiller addiction, a sedative addiction (this is over the last 10 years not since withdrawal) I was diagnosed with M.E because I had no refreshing sleep, severe fatigue, migraines, ticks and tremors, dizziness, GI problems, fibromyalgia, weakness, low immune system....ect.....

Since I have stopped the paxil 50% of my symptoms have dissapeared. I am still not a well woman but I am no longer falling down with exaustion. My body was tested using a new technique called CKT therapy and the main problem was adrenal exaustion. I googled it and the first reason that came up was SSRI use over a long period can cause this.

I knew for a long time paxil was making me very sick but because of the failed withdrawal attempts I accepted I had to stay on it.

However over the last 2 years, the past year being the worst I turned into a shell of my former self. I never got out of bed, got dressed once a week, had a shower 3 times a week, chain smoked 40 cigarettes a day, ate too much chocolate, became very angry, verbally aggresive to those close to me, left the house maybe once a week. Everything made me angry and I had a lack of motivation to do anything whatsoever. I knew it was paxil and I had to get off it.

So these past weeks have been hell. Using prozac, I now know was a bad idea. It is like speed, a stimulant. The only benefit I got from it was not suffering from so many physical withdrawal which is something I really was prone to. Just being a few hours late taking my daily dose of paxil would make me so physically ill. Prozac stopped this. But this is all it stopped.

Sadly for now I am stuck on 20mg of prozac FOR NOW. I need to level out. I feel the mirtazapine is slightly helping. To be fair to the doctors when I took myself to hospital and was presenting with suicidal behaviour, mania and extreme distress they put me on it to help me.

I am not OK as such, I am having some good days followed by some very bad days as far as deep depression goes and full on anxiety. I am trying to keep busy, trying to get out the house on and off, making easy lists of things I want to do at the moment that are doable. Taking each day as it comes.

This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I have never been suicidal, had mania, physcosis or depression in my life until the day I was prescribed paxil and it just got worse the higher they went with the dose. I told them it wasn't working, I told them it was making my health bad. They said I was depressed, I needed a higher dose. No I did not!

As far as my benzo and hypnotic use goes, I have been on them for 10 years, benzos on and off for 2 years so I cannot just stop them right now.

To end on a positive note. For the first time in 10 years, I am awake during the day now (for 2 years I have been sleeping from 6am to 6pm and never seeing daylight), I have been out of the house more in the past 3 weeks than I would in a regular month. I am no longer full of rage, I am no longer hiding away from the world and I feel better physically than I have in many years.
1997-2000 venlafaxine
2000-2002 paxil 20mg
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Massive

I was put on Citalopram after a horrific reaction between paxil and St John's wort. I was switched straight over and the anxiety was horrific from the citalopram. Didn't sleep, 24/7 adrenalin, feeling of dread/terror/suicidal thoughts, walking about with knives in the flat, causing myself harm, wanting to throw myself under buses, walking around the city all night etc. Back to the Docs and I was increased to 40mg and given benzo's which I took for a couple of days. I was trying zopiclone every night as well.

Eventually I was sent back to my mums and she pushed me to see someone who said enough was enough and reduced the citalopram over 2 weeks to 0. So I was on nothing but the anxiety etc went with every drop until nothing yay! I was then put back on Paxil after a few weeks break.

All I'm saying is this sounds very familiar to me what you're going through.

My advice would be to get back on the Paxil and taper super slow all the way to 0 with no switching. After all the reading I done and coming to this forum it seems it the only way for the lucky ones who can't get off this medication.

November 2009 - Stopped st johns wort, started Paxil same day. Complete meltdown, no sleep for 2 weeks, extreme muscle pain, akathesia/anxiety 24/7. Lost everything, back on paxil and in work 3 months later.

Mar 11 - 20
Aug 11 - 12.5
Dec 11 - 10
Mar 12 - 7.5
June 12 - 5
Sept 12 - 2.5
Oct 12 - 1.85
Oct/Nov 12 - 1.25 major crash
Dec - updose 2.5 akathesia gone, extreme anxiety still.
Massive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
stardust79

It's the terror and fear feelings that I can't deal with, this is what leads to the suicidal thoughts because I am not in a rational state. This is getting less and less nearly 3 weeks completely off paxil. I went 4 days without the fear and andrenaline feeling, then 2 days ago it returned and I went into a deep depression again. It was short lived but "that" feeling unsettles me and I start in a spiral of feeding my own anxiety.

To be honest alot of what I have read on the internet has fuelled some of my anxiety. There is one site where someone said they are still going through withdrawal years on. That terrified me.

I am off paxil now, have been for almost 3 weeks. Am on 20mg of prozac and 15mg of mirtazapine and on this I shall stay until I level out. I am not adding and taking away meds now, I have had too much of this over the last 9 weeks, I have had 20mg of paxil taken away, 40mg of prozac added, a further 10mg of paxil gone, down to 20mg of prozac, back up to 40mg which was just making me worse. My brain and body needs to adjust now. I am not messing with my meds anymore at this point.

Slow weaning did not work for me, not saying it doesn't work, just for me personally I still went through the same thing with slow weaning the liquid way. So to go back on paxil after being off it 3 weeks just to slow wean is pointless for me. I am off it, I shall stay off it and try to level out.

I need to start accepting that what I am feeling is withdrawal and just anxiety, practice deep breathing, try to keep myself busy and take every day as it comes.
1997-2000 venlafaxine
2000-2002 paxil 20mg