our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
dek1064

Paxil Withdrawal Help

I am suffering from Paxil Withdrawal and I am trying to cope with the side effects, but it is so hard. I am 47 and a Registered Nurse and this is kicking my butt. I was taking 20 mg daily for 3 years, for mild anxiety. I lost my job 10 months ago and have been without insurance. To make matters more complicated, I moved from Ohio to Florida 3 months ago and not only will my physician in Ohio not give me another refill, but the quack I went to here, in Florida won't either, unless I pay him another $175, which I don't have. I had to quit cold turkey. It's been a little over 2 weeks now and my symptoms seem to be getting worse.

Numbness in my lips, face, feet and finger tips
Nausea
Vomiting (2-3 x's a day)
Uncontrollable itching (scratching myself to the point of bleeding)
"Brain Fog"
Slow and slurred speech
Forgetting my words
Memory Loss
Extreme Fatigue and Lethargy multiple times per day
dizziness (can't walk without feeling unsteady)

How long does this last? What can I take or do to alleviate some of these symptoms?

Thank you for your help.
dek1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
TryingtoGetWell

Re: Paxil Withdrawal Help

Welcome, dek,

I'm trying to figure out what you can do to get more of the med to reinstate, stabilize, and when stabilized do a very slow taper to get off the med in a tolerable way. I expect others here are also trying to find out what your options are. Did your doctors explain why they won't give you a refill? Even the drug manufacturers acknowledge that one needs to taper off this med.

There is nothing really you can take to make withdrawal go away, except a few little things - strong peppermint tea (brew at least five minutes, using reasonably fresh tea leaves) for nausea, ointments for the skin itching, etc.

But you need to get back on the med. Have you tried calling community health clinics or free clinics in your area and explaining your situation and see if they can take you soon? Or try calling your local hospital/E.R. and ask if you qualify for financial assistance due to being unemployed and without resources?

I hope others come up with better suggestions soon, but try whatever you can. If you've already paid your new doctor for an initial visit, I don't understand why the cost for a short established patient office visit would be so high.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
TryingtoGetWell

Rushing to dash out somewhere, but a few more thoughts.

Don't let an ER or anything increase your previous dose or try to switch you to something else to address the withdrawal symptoms you're experiencing. (We see this fairly often - best to go back on the same med you were on, and taking a higher dose won't make you feel better any faster, more likely to make you feel worse.

And did you by any chance get a prescription for the med filled in your new town? If so, ask the pharmacist if they can advance you a few pills on your next refill "until you can see the doctor." Don't know if they can, but worth a try.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek1064 View Post

How long does this last? What can I take or do to alleviate some of these symptoms?
The "how long" is the most asked question. No one can truly answer that since everyone is different. One thing that we do know is that cold turkey can make withdrawal much harder and last much longer than if one did a slow wean.

The only thing that alleviates the symptoms are taking the drug that created the problem. Is there a clinic or "doc in a box" down there that you could go to to get a refill? You can get paxil for $4.00 for a 30 day supply at any Walmart or Target.

I wouldn't recommend staying in the cold turkey situation..it's just not worth the risks that go along with it. I'm an RN also.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
trixiemom

I am so sorry for what you're experiencing. I dropped my dose 5 mg. and felt everything you are dealing with... so I FULLY understand, and can't even imagine going cold turkey.

I agree with everyone here... you can get paxil really cheap... see if you can find a free clinic where they can give you an rx. ASAP.
trixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
dek1064

I called the SW Florida Health Dept. and they said they only see patients for STD's, and Mother's and their Children (WIC). I called the Women's Health Clinic and they will see me for the standard $160 office visit. The doctor, who I went to, when I moved here, only wrote me a 1 month script and did not tell me that he would only refill it if I came back to see him. He bills insurance $175 per visit, and had not sympathy for me having no insurance.
I have been working in the service industry while waiting for my nursing license to transfer to Florida from Ohio. I haven't missed any time, until yesterday, but my boss, who also happens to be an RN, has no sympathy or empathy for what I am going through. I had to call off this morning, again, and I am fairly certain I will not have a job come Monday.
I can't go back on it....I am stuck trying to get through it....just knowing I am not alone is very comforting. My family doesn't understand, and my fiance just feels helpless.
The worst is the "brain fog" and numbness. I have such a hard time speaking or even typing. I can't find my words, and when I do, they are slow and deliberate. I will continue fighting through this because I have children and a grandchild that all need me to get better : )

Dawn from Florida
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
dek1064

As a side note....I started taking 5 HTP 4 days ago. Not sure it is helping but it has caused me to have horrible abdominal cramping, even when taken with food. Has anyone else tried 5- HTP or St John's Wort? I think I may have to stop taking the 5-HTP....I am doubled over multiple times throughout the day. How about other herbs or natural remedies? Thanks for your advice....I appreciate it : )

Dawn from Florida
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
babs
"dare to suck big!"

5-HTP and St. John's Wort aren't going to make this go away. Your body needs more Paxil. I would beg, borrow or steal to get the $160 to get a prescription and then you can fill it for $4.00 at Target or Wal-Mart. You really need to reinstate and then taper very slowly; cold turkey makes withdrawal so much worse.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Xpaxilslave

I totally agree with Babs. This is going to take alot longer to get better with cold turkey. I really do not think you are going to be better in a few weeks or even a few months if that is what you are thinking. Please listen to the advice you are getting.
Xpaxilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
trixiemom

Look for a free clinic, please. There has to be one. A true free clinic will see you even if you cannot barter with them!!!! Google it, ask for referrals, anything. There has to be some way.

I also agree that I would do whatever you have to and pay $160 to see the dr. if all else fails.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
audrealjade

Yes, and I would stop taking the 5HTP and St. John's Wort because that may cause you more issues! Prayers your way!
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
trixiemom

The stomach pains could be withdrawal too.... serotonin has a lot to do with the gut. I'm praying you find help somehow, some way.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
TryingtoGetWell

If there are no non-profit free clinics in your area that can help you with this, try googling the name of your city along with "urgent care" and/or "walk in clinic" and then call them and see if they handle what you need. Explain you recently moved from another state.

If they do, beg, borrow or steal the money for the visit as previously suggested - quick check indicates it should run around $50 in your state for a routine O.V. And then call Ralph's or other places that have the $4/month generics.

If you still have the empty pill bottles or receipts for your paxil, maybe bring those in to help establish that your symptoms are from the abrupt discontinuing from running out of medication you've been taking regularly.

Try to get a 90-day Rx if possible, but even a 30-day supply will tide you over til you can find a better doctor for your ongoing medical care, who won't gouge you for routine refills like the one you last saw.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #14
dek1064

Thanks for the advice.....I may just have to do that. I hate the thought of going back on....anything that causes this much havoc on your system when you stop it is something I wish I didn't have to go on. The original reason I started taking it was anxiety. Since moving to Florida and getting away from the people and situations that produced the anxiety, I am confident I dont need it anymore. I just wish I could sweat it out....the thought of going through this again is terrifying to me.
Today is the first day I feel human....I am nearly symptom free....is this a good sign or just a false sense of security and the calm before the next storm?
Thanks for your help : )

Dawn from Florida