our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
pumpkin

reacting to an antibotic cream

Hey,its been awhile since i was in here because i was doing just fine with my w/d symptoms,they are mild and i can go on with daily thing without thinking so much about it.But the other week ive got an antibiotic cream for my eksema on my hands and it was like turning time back to that days when the w/d was so hard that i was only trying to survive.How could a cream make my w/d come back and is it going to be like this forever?I am so sensitive that i cant belive it my self,in fact i am doing fine in my w/d so this really confuses me!Is there some one like me and can we later in life tolerate this things?
11 month out and had a little but managebal wave
12 month very mild symptoms
13 month back to hell with old symptoms and new
18 month started to feel better
24 month windows got longer
30 month(now)some mild symptoms and some with no improvments,still very sensitive to many things.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: reacting to an antibotic cream

An antibiotic cream isn't going to "start up "withdrawal.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
aberdeen

Maybe it's a coincidence? I don't know, never heard of this before. I use cortisone cream and antibiotic creams and haven't noticed a link with when my w/d acts up.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Maybe it's a coincidence?
Exactly. Topicals act locally, not systemically.

MLK
Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
pumpkin

i did react to that cream and i did fell like hell again,when you dont belive me i get more scared that i am the worst case of all,those pills gave me hell and when i am in that hell i know it is the same as when I took them the first time,i thought at least that i could get help and support from people here because no one else belives me.I dont see the point of makeing up things to wright here.Isnt there anyone who has reacted to things here?
I wasnt scared of medicin now that i am 2.5 years out but after that reaction i got so scared,i dont ever wanna feel so so bad ever again.
30 month(now)some mild symptoms and some with no improvments,still very sensitive to many things.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Pumpkin, this has nothing to do with a topical cream and everything to do with your fears. I'm sorry, a topical cream is not going to throw you back in to w/d 2.5 years later. It's not a question of believing you, topical creams don't effect you systemically, they just don't.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
pumpkin

But it did and you dont belive me because i do know it was an antibiotic cream when i took it because i always have an cortison cream but the doctor change my discription without me noticing it,mayby people react different but its the same thing if i use it again and it is NOT in my head,it is not a fear it real and it has everything to do with that.I know how anxiety feels and its nothing compared to W/d symptoms.I know my body in and out after this experiance and i havent before in my 30 year of life felt such symptoms.Everyone is different and you cant say whats real or not,you can just say what you belive,in fact i dont care what you do or dont belive i just needed some support about this.You cant say its just fear because i live with Ocd and i know what fear is.Fear dont make me this way,if it was fear you can close this forum up because then W/d doesnt exist!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
aberdeen

How much of the cream are you using? Maybe, just maybe, it is too much? Maybe if you were using TONNES of it, it could get into your system, I just have never heard of it causing a reaction like this. I don't want you to feel scared, I believe you when you say you know w/d from regular fear. If you stop using the cream and it goes away, then I would stop using it, cortisone cream is better for excema anyway isn't it?

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
Fear dont make me this way,if it was fear you can close this forum up because then W/d doesnt exist!
If you believe it's the cream, then don't use it. You came looking for people to validate your belief that this is withdrawal related. That is just not the experience that people have and trying to get people to agree with what you believe, when they don't, isn't going to happen.

If the cream bothers you, then don't use it.

MLK
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
You cant say its just fear because i live with Ocd and i know what fear is.Fear dont make me this way,if it was fear you can close this forum up because then W/d doesnt exist!
You're describing withdrawal like its a disease that can flare up from time to time. Its not. Withdrawal is the gradual process of re-adaptation that your brain goes through when the meds are removed. Its not actually a finite disease state (like being infected with influenza virus or having a broken leg). There's no biological mechanism that can "re-trigger" withdrawal because withdrawal is not an actual state of being.

I think this is an important issue that often gets overlooked here.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Quirk

Are you still feeling horrible after using the creme, Pumpkin?

I very much believe that the creme could have been a trigger to send your body in "w/d" mode again as certain ingredients can effect your system and do not only work locally.

As time goes by, your system will be less and less sensitive to such things, but it still can take years.
W/D symptoms began 14 days later, lasting several months
Phase II 12.2009: Dizziness, derealization/depresonalization, anxiety, headaches
04.2010: Light headaches, unnormal cold fingertips, weird feelings, light dizziness now and then, anxiety, lightheadedness
45 months out: Still having symptoms, but much better than a year ago
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
TryingtoGetWell

Hi, pumpkin. I'm so glad to hear your w/d symptoms have improved so much lately. That's wonderful news.

I too have eczema, and I wonder whether the antibiotic cream you used has a steroid like cortisone in it? They often do.

Topical antibiotics are very poorly absorbed through the skin, but steroids (cortisone, etc.) are very well absorbed through the skin.

In withdrawal I had very bad hyperreactivity problems from cortisone spray for allergies. But I had a severe skin infection and needed a very strong antibiotic cream for quite a long time (many months), and I didn't have any problems from that.

If your eczema got infected, there are antibiotic creams that don't have cortisone, and some people tolerate some better than others. (They're sometimes combinations of antibiotics, and some people have bad reactions to creams that contain neomycin, but are fine with creams that contain the other antibiotics but not neomycin, for example.)

There are also some natural remedies I use to control my eczema (organic coconut oil!) - I use it every day, and especially at night when it won't get washed off. And when the itching from that or other conditions is bad a natural herb cream called Florasone helps amazingly. (It does NOT contain cortisone like some people think - it's a natural alternative to cortisone with no steroids of any kind, and no side effects.)

Here's a post about these I wrote years ago here (scroll down to my post #25): https://www.paxilprogress.org/forums...ad.php?t=40505

Florasone cream is made in Europe and available worldwide. I order mine online now (it's cheaper that way). I get the organic coconut oil (important that it's cold-pressed and doesn't have solvents in it) at health food stores, but it's also available online.

If your eczema is actually infected, you need to heal the infection. If it's not all healed yet, check whether the antibiotic cream contains any steroids. If it does, don't worry - that will be out of your body soon and won't cause any lasting problems.

Hyperreactivity to some substances only happens to some of us post-paxil, but it seems to last a bit longer than other withdrawal symptoms. I found I could gradually start tolerating more and more things gradually over time.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
pumpkin

I think my cream is antiobiotics,steroid and cortison,i become so sad when it happend so i threw it away in the trash.I tried using it but the symptoms got worse after everytime.I had no longer any fears about medecin because my symptoms has been mild for about 9-10month.I really scared my husband because we thought those times was passed by.I am so glad i am out of the worst but having the symptoms getting so bad again really scared me.It started about 5 hours after using it and the worst was over 5 hours later but I felt bad for a week.Now i am just scared of not knowing wich things i am sensitive to.I dont ever ever wanna be in that state again.Sorry for my bad english.I just think that I am very sensitive and wanted people here to know about my experiance so if it happened to them they know that they are not alone.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Mixter

You should google EMS creme and use it. Available in Sweden. It has completely resolved ALL of my skin issues in only one week. It sounds too good to be true, but it is the best. And I have tried cortisone, different creams, abx creams (Dalacin etc) this EMS creme made my big difference.

Ct benzos,Lyrica and Remeron -06/07
Ct taper Effexor 300-75mg summer -08
Ct 8 yr tobacco habit.
Reinstated too late 3 mos out.
Was upto 450 mg Effexor (equiv 120 mg Celexa).

Switched to Celexa 20mg at 23 nov 2012 because cant stand being on Effexor XR.

Diagnosed with Lyme (had it since 6 yrs old - 1987)
Treatment ongoing

Went back to 20 mg 1st June 2013.
Still too sick - Lyme. Seroquel 100 mg,
for sleep/severe depression. Is helping.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
911Carrera

hey pumpkin, your mailbox is full... can't send you a PM.
Currently taking: 26mg Celexa, 1mg Risperdal (for insomnia).
Current WD symptoms: OCD, social anxiety, agitation in legs, insomnia, weight gain, muscle fatigue, poor skin healing.
911Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post
hey pumpkin, your mailbox is full... can't send you a PM.
you can send me a pm now!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Mixter

Pumpkin, I also sent you a PM

Ct benzos,Lyrica and Remeron -06/07
Ct taper Effexor 300-75mg summer -08
Ct 8 yr tobacco habit.
Reinstated too late 3 mos out.
Was upto 450 mg Effexor (equiv 120 mg Celexa).

Switched to Celexa 20mg at 23 nov 2012 because cant stand being on Effexor XR.

Diagnosed with Lyme (had it since 6 yrs old - 1987)
Treatment ongoing

Went back to 20 mg 1st June 2013.
Still too sick - Lyme. Seroquel 100 mg,
for sleep/severe depression. Is helping.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote