our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
andy013

9 months after stopping ssri

Hey,I'm just looking for some reassurance with this post. I stopped taking citalopram 9 months ago (after taking 10mg for 5 months). I started to feel better last month and a lot of my physical symptoms went away, but just in the last week they have came back very strongly.

I get really really hot in my face and feel like I have a fever and sweat. I can also get really cold like 30 mins later. My temperature just seems out of control.

I also feel like I'm really hyper or like I have pins and needles in my head or my mind is racing and over active (I don't think its like the electric shocks other people describe, it's more of a long lasting feeling that can go on for hours).

I get headaches quite a lot and feel very angry and get easily frustrated.

I also get mouth ulcers a lot more than before I started the medication. When I get them my lymph nodes at that side of my neck will swell up and become tender as well.
Also my sex drive is very low etc.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this and recovered fully?

I just feel like I definitely have brain damage if its 9 months later and I still feel this way. I get so frustrated for taking those pills, I just wish I could go back in time and stop myself. I get scared that I might be permanently changed from this experience. I wish there was some scientific information to explain what is going on with me.
andy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: 9 months after stopping ssri

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy013 View Post
Hey,I'm just looking for some reassurance with this post. I stopped taking citalopram 9 months ago (after taking 10mg for 5 months). I started to feel better last month and a lot of my physical symptoms went away, but just in the last week they have came back very strongly.

I get really really hot in my face and feel like I have a fever and sweat. I can also get really cold like 30 mins later. My temperature just seems out of control.

I also feel like I'm really hyper or like I have pins and needles in my head or my mind is racing and over active (I don't think its like the electric shocks other people describe, it's more of a long lasting feeling that can go on for hours).

I get headaches quite a lot and feel very angry and get easily frustrated.

I also get mouth ulcers a lot more than before I started the medication. When I get them my lymph nodes at that side of my neck will swell up and become tender as well.
Also my sex drive is very low etc.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this and recovered fully?

I just feel like I definitely have brain damage if its 9 months later and I still feel this way. I get so frustrated for taking those pills, I just wish I could go back in time and stop myself. I get scared that I might be permanently changed from this experience. I wish there was some scientific information to explain what is going on with me.
Most of what you're describing is withdrawal related, and will go away in time. The mouth ulcers(and secondary lymph node enlargement) isn't withdrawal related and should be checked out by a medical doctor.

No, you are not brain damaged, and really lucky that you stayed at a low dose for a short time. This will pass.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
andy013

I told my doctor about them when I started the citalopram and he said it wasn't related and wasn't a big deal. I had more ulcers since I started the drug than I had in the previous 5 years. Maybe a coincidence, I can't say.

I do know that everytime I start getting the other physical symptoms badly, a mouth ulcer will tend to appear at the same time.

Thanks for the reassurance scotty
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
aberdeen

mouth ulcers, or "canka-roos" as my 5 year old calls them (something between a canker sore and a kangaroo I guess,lol) can be stress related. If you are stressing about the physical symptoms, it could be that. Or the physical symptoms put stress on your body and you get mouth ulcers. Either way, they're harmless, don't fret about them. Canka-roos never killed anyone!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
aberdeen

Oh and you do NOT have brain damage...my goodness, if anyone had brain damage it was me and I am ok now,lol.

3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
andy013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Oh and you do NOT have brain damage...my goodness, if anyone had brain damage it was me and I am ok now,lol.
Tell me that when you have stopped all medication.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy013 View Post
Tell me that when you have stopped all medication.
True, but read through the countless, hundreds, of stories on here of people who went through utter hell with all the symptoms imaginable, and came out 100% normal again afterwards. That's what I trust in. Also the fact that Paxil hasn't seemed to help me when a wave of withdrawal hits me from what I went through last year, and at the beginning, I suffered as much as anyone who was off all meds, I went through chills and diarrhea and cramps, and shaking, and nausea, intense panic, akasthesia, terrifying death thoughts, depression....all which seem to come and go despite still taking Paxil (and despite the other 2 SSRI's I tried when I first came off Effexor). Yet when I have good days, weeks, and recently good months.... my brain feels completely normal again, and it couldn't manage that it was damaged. I will likely have more days of suffering as I taper this Paxil, and maybe even a few more rounds in the ring from the Effexor w/d too...but I know it won't be as bad if I come off slowly.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
aberdeen

Also, a lot of people , myself included, seem to hit a wall around 6-9 months post acute withdrawal (which as I said before, Paxil does not seem to stop, though it may be helping me not to become depressed). Maybe that is what is happening, and I have read it a lot on here, that the time frame you are in isn't really all that far out in teh big picture, and your brain is still working things out and will continue to improve.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Wld

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Also, a lot of people , myself included, seem to hit a wall around 6-9 months post acute withdrawal

improve.
Ahhh the anticipation. I'm sooo looking forward to this 6-9 mo. period everyone's talking about---I couldn't even get thru the 4 mo. period! Ughhh!! Well it's not going to happen to me anyway. But just in case I think I'll book a world cruise or an extended stay spa getaway. It'll be fall, it should be nice. Lol
Reinstated Celexa 10 mg. 12/14/11
Up to 20mg. 12/21/11 sick, horrible time
Down to 10mg. 2/7/12 giving up reinstating
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Wld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
aberdeen

Wld, lol, you should book it anyway, 'cause it might not even happen. I hear everyone crashes 3 months out and I crashed 1 month out.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg