our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
aberdeen

Switching SSRI's didn't help w/d

I just thought I'd throw this out there....when I came off Effexor, I was on a dose of 262.5mg. I came off that in 3 months, and felt HORRIBLE mentally and physically. My Dr gave me Cipralex/Lexapro and when that didn't work after 8 weeks, he gave me Celexa and when that didn't work after 8 weeks, he gave me Paxil and said enough is enough, let's just stop throwing meds around. So I stayed on Paxil. I made one little drop in the fall from 20mg to 18.75mg to relieve the anhedonia I now had (didn't help)....but while I have remained on the 18.75mg I still experience waves that include every symptom of w/d i had in the beginning. Without upping my Paxil to combat it....these waves pass. Then they come back, but milder and shorter as the year progresses. I just want people to know that, for me, switching to Paxil and being on it while withdrawaing from Effexor has had questionable success, if any. I suppose it MAY be keeping the edge off any depression/anxiety I may have experienced otherwise, but it has not done anything to prevent the ebb and flow of withdrawal symtoms from Effexor, and during those waves of w/d I experience intense anxiety and moderate depression as well as physical symtoms. If anyone is considering taking an SSRI to help with withdrawal, in my experience, it hasn't done a thing to prevent it. Mind you, the dose of Paxil I would need in order to equal 262.5mg of Effexor would be about 60mg. If I were on 60mg Paxil I don't know if that would have prevented Effexor withdrawal or not...I'm thinking not (especially since Effexor is a bit different than Paxil because it is an SNRI), and it doesn't matter because the only changes to this Paxil I'm making is to lower it until I'm off!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
iwantpeace

Re: Switching SSRI's didn't help w/d

Hey there. SSRI's and SNRI's are VERY different drugs, so one certainly won't relieve the grief the other is causing.

That being said, while SSRI's are from the same family, they are not THE SAME and thus one will not prevent withdrawal from another. I did a cross taper from Paxil to Zoloft, and still went through a bit of hell. To this day, I don't think Paxil has released its grip on me. Like you, I have waves and windows. I never expected the Zoloft to 'fix' whatever the Paxil had done, nor did I expect it to stop whatever I was going to feel from coming off ten years of paxil in about 3.5 months. The cross-over was the absolute worst, with slow improvement since then.

I still have setbacks, but I also have days where I feel i'm back to my old self. It's a balancing act and knowing that one day i WILL be totally drug free.

For me, in my circumstance, I couldnt just wean down the paxil, I was too ill at the time and needed something to help me. I don't regret my decision - but I would never say that switching would alleviate withdrawal from another.

Some people do it with no problem - these are probably the people who would have an easier time at withdrawal anyways.

Bottom line, if all these drugs in the same 'family' were actually the same - and not 'acting the same' then there would be 1 drug, not 6-7 different ones in the family

xoxxo
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
aberdeen

Re: Switching SSRI's didn't help w/d

See my Dr and I hoped, both of us being ignorant, that whatever my issue was while on Effexor was actually just "me" and a new drug would fix it. Since reading on PP I now see I was in poop out, having a paradoxical reaction , and all the cross tapering I did was pointless...probably made things worse. Like you, I don't know how much slower I could have come down from the Effexor given how horrible I was now feeling while ON it. I am now starting to slowly taper off Paxil, in fact I'm planning to drop 1.25mg out tonight. I hope to come off before poop out occurs, but slow enough to never go through what I did in the months following coming off Effexor. Good luck to you too, we seem to be in a similar boat!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is online now   Reply With Quote