our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Mozart22

Withdrawal Update: Might have to take Adderal or Ritalin

I went from 20 mg of Paxil to 0 mg over an 18 month period, tapering very slowly and carefully. That was over 10 months ago and I haven't taken anything since then.

During withdrawal one of my worst symptoms was very poor concentration and racing thoughts. My mind was all over the place and I couldn't focus much on anything unless it was something I was already very interested in. Certainly if it had to do with school or work or something I didn't already love, I had a really hard time of focusing and concentrating.

I figured that 10 months after reaching 0mg of Paxil, this problem would have gone away, but it's still here. I have important work to do but I can't get it done. This is a big problem so I'm considering seeing a doctor about taking Adderal or Ritalin for inattentive ADD.

Of course I don't want to start taking another drug but I'm not sure I really have a choice, my work needs to be done. During Paxil withdrawal I had to quit work and quit university classes as well. I took a whole year off because I just could not do the work, my mind was all over the place. If 10 months after reaching 0 mg I'm still like this, I probably need some Adderal.

I'm better than I was before, there has been improvement now that Paxil is long gone. But the concentration issues are still here and I don't have the luxury of failing to work and do errands properly.

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Mozart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
alivehope

Re: Withdrawal Update: Might have to take Adderal or Ritalin

Hey Mozart

Your story reminds me of mine, when I was on paxil, I was sitting and taking hours to assemble a lego robot, when I stopped paxil, I was more dumb than a little kid and could not even complete the lego.

anyway, after around 9 months off paxil, I was able to think and had good marks but I was not aware that I was gonna become more smarter even. anyway, then my WD flared up again and I started to have problems thinking. I started taking melatonin and amino acids and failed one and passed the other three. later when my WD improved massively, I quit melatonin and amino acids and started to think with zero brain fog and I was able to concentrate 100%. Since then, I never struggled academically and was very capable of learning and thinking which really gave me a huge boost and big prospect for future.

instead of using any medications, try exercise, it will increase dopamine in your brain and make you concentrate better. Also, try doing mathematics.

at the moment, I am dealing with the consequences of my reinstatment, I am experiencing brain fog and it is severe. but I know it won't last forever and I will make it again to the safeside.

on and off paxil from 2004 to 2008
Last pill at 11/7/2008
Severe withdrawal for about 18 months
had a nice life from 18 to 31 months off
80% recovered and was mostly there.

Crashed at 31 months due to severe stress
Took 20mg of paxil at 18/8/2011
Mild withdrawal
Severe PSSD
20% recovered
alivehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
aberdeen

I was diagnosed years ago with Inattentive ADD. Looking back at my elementary school reports could have been a diagnosis alone, let alone the issues I had in certain work environments (way before I ever took an SSRI). If you really do have ADD, wouldn't this lack of focus and concentration be something you have always struggled with? I know my ADD stuff is a million times WORSE right now, but it's nothing new for me. I tried Concerta years ago but grew tolerant to it quickly and just stopped taking it. It did help though, for a while. I wonder if this symptom will go away for you, 10 months is still in that place where w/d symptoms can be bothersome. I don't know much about ADD meds, as I only tried for 6 months, but I don't recall any issues coming off them. Maybe others would know better....?

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Mozart22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
I was diagnosed years ago with Inattentive ADD. Looking back at my elementary school reports could have been a diagnosis alone, let alone the issues I had in certain work environments (way before I ever took an SSRI). If you really do have ADD, wouldn't this lack of focus and concentration be something you have always struggled with? I know my ADD stuff is a million times WORSE right now, but it's nothing new for me. I tried Concerta years ago but grew tolerant to it quickly and just stopped taking it. It did help though, for a while. I wonder if this symptom will go away for you, 10 months is still in that place where w/d symptoms can be bothersome. I don't know much about ADD meds, as I only tried for 6 months, but I don't recall any issues coming off them. Maybe others would know better....?
Before Paxil, I was thin, did not sweat much, and had decent concentration.
After Paxil, despite an 18 month taper and 10 months of waiting after that,
I am fat, sweat like a pig, and can't concentrate on anything unless it's something I already enjoy a lot

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Mozart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart22 View Post
Before Paxil, I was thin, did not sweat much, and had decent concentration.
After Paxil, despite an 18 month taper and 10 months of waiting after that,
I am fat, sweat like a pig, and can't concentrate on anything unless it's something I already enjoy a lot
Did you just describe me,lol? Except the sweating has improved immesely since I quit Effexor, I couldn't believe how much more tolerable the heat was for me last summer off Effexor! And...my concentration was never good...but it sort of sounded like me. I hate the weight gain. I lost most of it last year but have gained quite a bit back again. I know it'll come off when I get back to weight watchers and finish Paxil, I've always been average weight, never overweight, until meds.

3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
jr1985

Ritalin worked brilliantly for me, until I came off Effexor too quickly and it just stopped working for some reason. But I would only take it if you actually had add symptoms before Paxil, otherwise they might go away by themselves.
Aug/Sept 11: Effexor -> Mirtazapine
Oct: C/T Mirtazapine -> Effexor
Nov/Dec: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell
5/2/12: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg
20/2/12: Updosed 75mg
9/3/12: Dropped 37.5mg
30/4/12: 33.8mg
1/5/12: 37.5mg
4/5/12: 35.6mg
19/6/12: Dropped 2.5%
23/6/12: 35.6mg
29/6/12: 37.5mg
30/6/12: 35.6mg
17/7/12: 37.5mg
Yes, I know it's messy...
jr1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
iwantpeace

These drugs are stimulants, if you don't have the condition they are designed to treat you shouldn't be taking them.
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Lindelea

Mozart2 what was ur previous condition before paxil? why did you start taking it? have u seen a therapist? maybe your previous condition has come back and that's the problem, and for how long did u take paxil? I would be nice if u add that to ur signature
April 2011 - April 2012 / Paxil Free
April 2012 - Today / 20mg Paxil

This is an unknown awareness

(I've also tried Lamictal and Trileptal)
Lindelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantpeace View Post
These drugs are stimulants, if you don't have the condition they are designed to treat you shouldn't be taking them.
I have heard from therapists that if you take ADD meds and don't need them they can cause anxiety...?

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
If you really do have ADD, wouldn't this lack of focus and concentration be something you have always struggled with?
Exactly! 10 months off an ssri isn't a long time. I can't even imagine wanting to add a stimulant, even if any doctor would prescribe it, after going through withdrawal. I'll be blunt..stop looking for the answers in a bottle of drugs. EVERYONE reports low concentration in withdrawal and it passes. If you can concentrate on something you enjoy, you don't have ADD.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Exactly! 10 months off an ssri isn't a long time. I can't even imagine wanting to add a stimulant, even if any doctor would prescribe it, after going through withdrawal. I'll be blunt..stop looking for the answers in a bottle of drugs. EVERYONE reports low concentration in withdrawal and it passes. If you can concentrate on something you enjoy, you don't have ADD.
I agree with you. Though I would say that with ADD the ability to concentrate is much better when it's something that stimulates you, or something you enjoy. I can get lost painting or reading/writing, not right now in w/d but normally, and I'm textbook inattentive ADD.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Junior

I agree with all the comments above. If you had no ADD symptoms before Paxil then you don't have ADD now. You might have apparent symptoms but they would be w/d related and adding another med to the mix is only going to delay healing.

Having said that, it's very hard to work, live, study when w/d affects you so badly. What about consulting a natural therapist? Maybe there are some good supplements that can help? Just make sure it is a GOOD therapist who understands that the healing due to w/d is a TIME thing and is willing to work with that.

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2009 23 Sept - 40mg; 12 Dec -30mg;
2010 Up and down - 25mg-30mg; 17 Dec-26mg
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Junior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #13
paxilcrazy71

Hi Ive been weaning off for quite sometime now, I also had to go on adderall about 3 months ago. I feel better and focused. Only thing i would be concerned with is the dosage the dr will give.. We all know how they like to prescribe meds.. I only take my adderall when im needing it. it takes 20 or so min to kick in. i take half of what my dr has prescribed and i am functioning 100 times better.. Just becareful and good luck
paxilcrazy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
Norma

I have ADD. I have tried two medications - one stimulant and one non-stimulant type. For me, the non-stimulant one made me have great focus. Unfortunately, it also made me not sleep at all. I had to stop after a few days. The stimulant one did nothing for me. Since it is legalized speed, I was relieved to stop taking it.

I had ADD symptoms before Paxil. Paxil made them much worse. While tapering they have gotten better.

Personally, I say stay away from the drugs. Most likely your problems are still withdrawal. More drugs aren't going to fix that.

Try getting some ADD books that have tips on how manage life better. I have found these to be helpful.

Good luck!
June to July 2009 too fast taper, wind up in ER. Read paxilprogress and decide to stabilize at 30mg.
Sept '09 through summer '11 slowly tapered to 9mg.
Aug '11 Updosed to 14mg
Continue taper at 5% each month
As of June 2012 10mg.
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote