our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
julleri

Does the Central Nervous System Heal

I've read that the CNS cannot heal itself. Is this true? I feel like my CNS is "damaged" from the adverse reaction I suffered.

I've heard/read so many different things. I know that people on here who have had severe adverse reactions have healed, that it takes a long time. But I've also read online that the nervous system if damaged, cannot heal itself. I am so confused.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
iwantpeace

Re: Does the Central Nervous System Heal

Hi,

You gotta be careful what you read online. I think you're probably reading about 'traumatic' injury to the nerves, ie: accidents, MS, carpel tunnel, etc.

A confused and frazzled CNS is not necessarily a 'damaged one'.

I've thought about this myself many times, but the fact is that once the offending factor is removed (in our case, the drug) - it's going to take time (and maybe a lot of time) for nerves, etc to find their balance again.

I know how scared you are. I am too. i'm currently having a bit of a rough time (maybe a little more than a 'bit') - but I try not to read up on it too much because I just end up scaring myself for no reason.

Time, time, time. That's what I keep telling myself.
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantpeace View Post
You gotta be careful what you read online. I think you're probably reading about 'traumatic' injury to the nerves, ie: accidents, MS, carpel tunnel, etc.

A confused and frazzled CNS is not necessarily a 'damaged one'.
You're absolutely correct.

Also, you "feel" something; that doesn't make it fact. Again, step away from the Google and stop doing this to yourself.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
trixiemom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Again, step away from the Google and stop doing this to yourself.
True. I haven't googled a thing about this because I refuse to give myself any more anxiety or stress than I already have b/c of withdrawal.

2/2012 - 15mg; 3/9/12 - 10 mg; 3/18/12 - 12.5 mg; 3/20/12 - 15 mg
4/11/12 - 14.25 mg; 4/18/12 - 13.5 mg; 4/25/12 - 12.75 mg; 5/2/12 - 12 mg; 5/10/12 - 11.25 mg; 5/17/12 - 10.5 mg; 5/24/12 - 9.75 mg; 5/31/12 - 9 mg; 6/7/12 - 8.25 mg; 6/14/12 - 7.5 mg; 6/21/12 - 6.75 mg; 6/28/12 - 6 mg; 7/5/12 - 5.25 mg; 7/12/12 - 4.5 mg; 7/19/12 - 3.75 mg; 7/26/12 - 3 mg; 8/2/12 - 2.25 mg; 8/9/12 - 1.5 mg; 8/16/12 - .75 mg; 8/23/12 - 0
trixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
buckwheat665

Well its been 7 months and I always wonder if this still is withdrawal? Its so hard it makes you wonder.
buckwheat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
aberdeen

Oh lord, I almost shouldn't have read this post, and actually skipped over it earlier because I'm afraid too, and I REFUSE to look it up online. Even reading this might have been a silly move for me. I will stick to the success stories I read on here. Even my Dr said SSRI's can't "damage" us. I'm goin' with that.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
audrealjade

Yes I don't believe that the SSRI can damage you permanently. I just watched a video from a doctor talking about the HPA axis and how when a trauma occurs there is a disconnect between the brain and endocrine system that needs to heal. He was selling supplements but what he was saying made sense.

I don't think I've ever read or heard of anyone being permenantly damaged from SSRI use. Long time healing yes but not forever.
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Quirk

There are lots of people on PP who had terrible symptoms that have fully recovered by now.

I am still in wd myself, but some of my symptoms have gotten much much better or even vanished. And they very often felt "permanent".

If our cns is damaged during the course of taking the drugs, it is damage that can and will be repaired.

And this has nothing to do with hope, but with experience and fact
W/D symptoms began 14 days later, lasting several months
Phase II 12.2009: Dizziness, derealization/depresonalization, anxiety, headaches
04.2010: Light headaches, unnormal cold fingertips, weird feelings, light dizziness now and then, anxiety, lightheadedness
45 months out: Still having symptoms, but much better than a year ago
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
moksha

The body self-repairs and heals- it wants to heal and to return to an ideal state. That's what I tell myself.

Stephen Fry made a documentry on language a little while ago. There was a guy on there who'd had a stroke which had left him unable to speak. Yet his brain had healed itself to the point where he was chatting quite normally; I couldn't tell he'd had a stroke at all. I try and hold on to things like that (isn't the nervous system made of the same neurons as the brain?).
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
aberdeen

I also don't like the term damaged. Things are temporarily re-balanced intentionally when we use an SSRI. We have to allow time for natural balance to be restored. I don't even like the term "healing" b/c it sounds like we've been sick or something,lol.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
VitoM1981

A slower taper allows for a faster healing time after the last dose is taken, right?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

Yes it does heal.....you have a devil of a time through the process...but you do heal....wholly and completely.

Put on Paxil for situational depression in August 2003. Was also on .5 mg of Clonozapem.
Started on 10mg and increased to 30mg.
Weaned off during the summer of 2004.
Became PAXIL FREE October 4, 2004.
Completely recovered!!!

When you stop learning, you start dying.
paxilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
julleri

Even the very strange symptoms heal? Will my upper back pressures, neck pressures and poppings, and shoulder poppings stuff go away? Why the hell do I have this? Where did it come from? I honestly don't see how this is ever gonna heal or get better. It's just too weird of a symptom! I never ever had any of this discomfort before SSRIs. But I'm really doubting where they came from.

And this low B12 thing. It's just so great it had to make an appearance when I'm all sick from Prozac. I feel all this nervous system sparking in my body today. I have been so weak ever since this weekend, and have had on and off breathing problems from this. Oh, I also have started to see spots starting last night.

So, yeah. I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I feel like I am the only person like this, with all these sets of strange and mysterious symptoms. I can't live life like this. All hopeless and feeling so weird. I haven't been comfortable in probably years now. Years! I can't just veg or relax and be comfortable. Will there ever come a day where I don't "feel" anything abnormal in my body? I do remember what those days were like, before meds. Or, will I have to live with neck cracking and pressures, nervous system sparking pains, and who knows what other awful and strange sypmtoms, for the rest of my life?

I am sorry, all, but I am very upset tonight about all of this. And I'm not looking forward to my next b12 shot on Thursday because I'm afraid it's gonna spark up my nerve pains all over my body again.

Here I am, just turned 30 years old, and I can't experience life like other normal 30 year olds. I don't do anything fun anymore. I dont plan for anything anymore as I don't see any of this crap changing. I feel like I'll never be able to get anywhere because I am always sick.

anyone else ever feel like this? With horrible strange symptoms that you feel have taken over your life, and you have no idea whether they were from the ssris or not, but with time they FINALLY went away and got better? I really feel like these things aren't going to get better.

And I'm gonna need hand holding on Thursday after my b12 shot. I know I need it bad because I feel so sick from the low b12, I'm just worried about the anxiety from the energy I feel afterwards. That's all I need right now. I'm even thinking of having a small sliver of Tranxene on hand in case the energy I get from the shot afterwards is just too much for my anxiety.

I can't live like this anymore. It's maddening. I am going crazy here!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
iwantpeace

Jason,

I can see how scared you are, and I understand - but the fear is just making it worse.

I too recently turned 30, and recently got married. Prior to all this s*it, I travelled the world, worked in a high stress environment, was outgoing, etc.

There have been times when i've thought the same as you 'I know how GOOD it can be, so how can I accept This? But, the truth of the matter is, when you look at it with the correct perspective. we JUST turned 30, that means sooooooo many years ahead of us and i'll be damned if I let this experience scare me to the point where I lose all those years.

Will it last forever? No, I don't believe so for one second. Might it last a while? 6 months? a year? 2 years? Maybe, but that is so insignificant in the context of a full life.

Yes, it's terrible that we're all going through this. I had to cancel my honeymoon. There was nothing I loved more than getting on a plane and flying away before - now that scares me - but i'll work on that.

I miss waking up and feeling 'normal' - but as much as i can I try to push through the 'weird' feeling and do what I gotta do. Sometimes I succumb to it, but I make sure to pick myself back up.

Do you have a good therapist that you see every week that's helping you deal with your anxiety issues?

Weird symptoms are probably very normal. When i first tried tapering i somehow ended up with arthritis in my knee - that's better now. During every attempt at tapering I had HORRIBLE TMJ for weeks, like i could barely eat.

You're going to be ok, you just need to put things into perspective.

How about trying not to be afraid of the 'rush of energy' from the b12 shot. If you're not afraid of it, and look forward to it, maybe it will be exactly what you need to get out and get some things done!
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Mixter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julleri View Post
Even the very strange symptoms heal? Will my upper back pressures, neck pressures and poppings, and shoulder poppings stuff go away? Why the hell do I have this? Where did it come from? I honestly don't see how this is ever gonna heal or get better. It's just too weird of a symptom! I never ever had any of this discomfort before SSRIs. But I'm really doubting where they came from.

And this low B12 thing. It's just so great it had to make an appearance when I'm all sick from Prozac. I feel all this nervous system sparking in my body today. I have been so weak ever since this weekend, and have had on and off breathing problems from this. Oh, I also have started to see spots starting last night.

So, yeah. I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I feel like I am the only person like this, with all these sets of strange and mysterious symptoms. I can't live life like this. All hopeless and feeling so weird. I haven't been comfortable in probably years now. Years! I can't just veg or relax and be comfortable. Will there ever come a day where I don't "feel" anything abnormal in my body? I do remember what those days were like, before meds. Or, will I have to live with neck cracking and pressures, nervous system sparking pains, and who knows what other awful and strange sypmtoms, for the rest of my life?

I am sorry, all, but I am very upset tonight about all of this. And I'm not looking forward to my next b12 shot on Thursday because I'm afraid it's gonna spark up my nerve pains all over my body again.

Here I am, just turned 30 years old, and I can't experience life like other normal 30 year olds. I don't do anything fun anymore. I dont plan for anything anymore as I don't see any of this crap changing. I feel like I'll never be able to get anywhere because I am always sick.

anyone else ever feel like this? With horrible strange symptoms that you feel have taken over your life, and you have no idea whether they were from the ssris or not, but with time they FINALLY went away and got better? I really feel like these things aren't going to get better.

And I'm gonna need hand holding on Thursday after my b12 shot. I know I need it bad because I feel so sick from the low b12, I'm just worried about the anxiety from the energy I feel afterwards. That's all I need right now. I'm even thinking of having a small sliver of Tranxene on hand in case the energy I get from the shot afterwards is just too much for my anxiety.

I know what you mean, I went thru it and still am going thru it. It seems like my Effexor interdose withdrawal is worse now on a lower dose.

I wish I could be more of a help, but sometimes I have thought back at the negative thoughts and they became positive. I think it helps to question these so called negative thoughts.

I did this today when a negative thought popped up. I did think positive... it did help. It is incredibly hard. Just need to come off this junk and save some years for healing.

Ct benzos,Lyrica and Remeron -06/07
Ct taper Effexor 300-75mg summer -08
Ct 8 yr tobacco habit.
Reinstated too late 3 mos out.
Was upto 450 mg Effexor (equiv 120 mg Celexa).

Switched to Celexa 20mg at 23 nov 2012 because cant stand being on Effexor XR.

Diagnosed with Lyme (had it since 6 yrs old - 1987)
Treatment ongoing

Went back to 20 mg 1st June 2013.
Still too sick - Lyme. Seroquel 100 mg,
for sleep/severe depression. Is helping.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

I've had all you've had and experienced. It will pass and it is normal to feel what you are feeling. However you need to allow the symptoms to just be...worrying about every symptom will only aggravate things...I've BEEN THERE. You are not sick...you are healing..don't ever forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julleri View Post

Put on Paxil for situational depression in August 2003. Was also on .5 mg of Clonozapem.
Completely recovered!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxilgirl View Post
I've had all you've had and experienced. It will pass and it is normal to feel what you are feeling. However you need to allow the symptoms to just be...worrying about every symptom will only aggravate things...I've BEEN THERE. You are not sick...you are healing..don't ever forget that.
I don't know! *cries* I really don't know.

Today was so scary. I felt like I was going to pass out from exhaustion. I really think it was the low B12. But when I got to the doctor's office to get the shot and to talk to the doctor they said I can't talk to him today because I didn't specifically ask to when I called ahead of time. But I feel so sick... I literally stopped breathing a couple times the other night. And now I'm seeing spots in my vision.

It is all too much for me to handle. My nervous system is clearly on the fritz, and I don't know if it's from adverse reaction to Prozac, withdrawal, or my vitamin B12 deficiency. And what's sad about the vitamin B12 deficiency is that I need to get these shots, which are synthetic B12 so it's aggravating on the nervous system.

It's so overwhelming. I'm beginning to not be able to function, I miss so much work, that's gonna cost me money soon and I am all alone in life can't rely on family... *cries*

And I can feel the B12 kicking in, which is good for the anemia part of it but I know it's gonna cause my pain and excited nervous system to spark up and freak me out.

Why do I have these problems? No one could possibly understand this unless they went through it. I wish I were one of the people who didn't have to understand this. This is pure hell on earth. I didn't know how much it could hurt to suffer like this.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
julleri

Quote:
So you, too, have had very irritating, frightening upper back pain, pressures, and poppings moving about throughout your neck, shoulders, and spine area basically everyday? Some days it's lighter than others but most days it's there. It is sometimes painful.

It is this symptom the most that scares me more than others. I jump to conclusions about what it possibly could be.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

I've had them....including some of the most horrible rages and emotions you can imagine....and I was tapering off ONE drug....you are in multiple WD of more than one....

Completely recovered!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
julleri

Quote:
I've had them....including some of the most horrible rages and emotions you can imagine....and I was tapering off ONE drug....you are in multiple WD of more than one....
May I ask you how the pains and pressures eventually stopped? Some days I can feel them try to go away, but then they'll come back. It's like it wants to be released, but it's having a very hard time. It's so hard to explain. It's by far the symptom that drives me the most crazy. It just seems so unreal. And that spins my anxiety and jumping to conclusions and then you have me in a state like I'm in tonight, where I'm distraught and frustrated, thinking it's just never gonna end.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
paxilgirl
"Stinks of lavender"

They stopped on their own over time.

It was hard and a long road....

Those days where you feel pain try to go away is evidence of your body trying to heal....relapses are very normal in the healing process.

Completely recovered!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
Tara71

After giving up on Paxil Withdrawal and going back on the drug, then slowly stabilizing myself at 15 mg, I got a viral infection from a hot tub that caused Interstitial Cystitis (bladder disease), neuralgia, neuropathic pain syndrome, chronic widespread pain syndrome, and eventually somebody called it Fibromyalgia.

Whatever - I had to go on disability. I feel sharp, stabbing pains RANDOMLY AT ANY TIME. When they get in my face/forehead, I get immense migraines. Anyway, one doctor said 'thanks to neuroplasticity, your brain can learn to stop sending the pain signals.' He said to take enough Lyrica until you feel nothing for a while, and your brain will calm down.

This was a few years ago, but it gave me some hope. I have lowered my Lyrica and the pain is usually under control. I also started taking Acetyle Carnitine on the advice of some website about Neuropathy. I'm told B Vitamins or shots are also a great help. Anyway, there's a lot on the web about neuropathic pain, since it is brought on by Diabetes.
Withdrawal 1999 failed-forced raise to 30mg.
Withdrawal 2002 duration 10 months failed. Lost job.
Cold turkey = full body rash, knotted muscles.
Resumed to 20mg 2003.
Forced to 30mg 2004 after 1 BAD REFILL
Tapering 2005-06 down to 15mg.
Pooped out and raised to 20mg in 2010. F*** it :P

My ABC Interview:
http://youtu.be/hfQUTHrWnRk
Tara71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
julleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara71 View Post
After giving up on Paxil Withdrawal and going back on the drug, then slowly stabilizing myself at 15 mg, I got a viral infection from a hot tub that caused Interstitial Cystitis (bladder disease), neuralgia, neuropathic pain syndrome, chronic widespread pain syndrome, and eventually somebody called it Fibromyalgia.

Whatever - I had to go on disability. I feel sharp, stabbing pains RANDOMLY AT ANY TIME. When they get in my face/forehead, I get immense migraines. Anyway, one doctor said 'thanks to neuroplasticity, your brain can learn to stop sending the pain signals.' He said to take enough Lyrica until you feel nothing for a while, and your brain will calm down.

This was a few years ago, but it gave me some hope. I have lowered my Lyrica and the pain is usually under control. I also started taking Acetyle Carnitine on the advice of some website about Neuropathy. I'm told B Vitamins or shots are also a great help. Anyway, there's a lot on the web about neuropathic pain, since it is brought on by Diabetes.
Thanks for sharing, Tara. You've really been through a lot. I'm sorry! But it sounds like you've figured things out to make improvements!

It's funny you mention B vitamins. What I'm really suffering from, I've figured out over the last week, is attributable more from low B12 deficiency than Prozac "damage" or withdrawals. I'm sure that's a part of it, but I am so sick from low B12, which is why I've been having such sparking pains. I see my doctor today to assess a better treatment plan.

Hopefully I haven't experienced too much long-term damage from this, as I've read a lot of nerve damage from prolonged B12 deficiency can be irreversible. Hopefully getting levels up will remedy this.

I've seen your YouTube video with ABC (ABC, right?) many times. I am so sorry the pain you've experienced both physically and emotionally from Paxil. I really hope things are getting better for you.

Jason
Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #24
mike_yuk

Guys! I hope one day we all will recover from PSSD.
Money rules the world, we are a victims of this.
mike_yuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Tara71

Hey there, sorry I didn't log on for a while. The recent GSK lawsuit settlement has me thinking about this issue again.

The worst thing happened to my body after going through all that Paxil Withdrawal. A strange infection from an ex-friend's hot tub destroyed the lining of my bladder and damaged the nerves around it. It's called "Interstitial Cystitis" and it brings in a whole new level of HELL (I thought I had already been there, but no!)

My bladder flares when I eat almost anything - I'm allergic to fruits, acids, preservatives, alcohols, vitamins, supplements, caffeine, nitrates, chocolate, onions, EVERYTHING! I even flare when I smoke a teeny bit of grass!

So now I'm actually CATHING myself and shoving numbing liquids into my bladder!! Not that it makes any difference if I ate MSG or nitrates. The Lyrica and Nortriptyline I take to control the nerve pains has made weight loss (the **** I gained on Paxil) next to impossible. And my brain... omg I have no short term memory.

What was I just talking about? lol.

I wish my only health problems were Paxil WD and anxiety. Those were the good old days!

There, does anybody feel better from THAT post? Hahah. I guess there's ALWAYS somebody out there who is worse off. I try to keep my sense of humor intact. I was severely abused as a kid, so it's sink or swim.

ANYWAY... on to the B vitamins. I had my levels tested. I'm at like 374 and doctors in the US only worry when people are under 200. I read somewhere people in Japan strive to be over 500 or they are considered low.

I tried taking B vitamins, but of course they flared my bladder. SO I talked my primary care doctor out of the shots. I do them on myself once a month and they really seem to be helping. Worth a try!!
Withdrawal 1999 failed-forced raise to 30mg.
Withdrawal 2002 duration 10 months failed. Lost job.
Cold turkey = full body rash, knotted muscles.
Resumed to 20mg 2003.
Forced to 30mg 2004 after 1 BAD REFILL
Tapering 2005-06 down to 15mg.
Pooped out and raised to 20mg in 2010. F*** it :P

My ABC Interview:
http://youtu.be/hfQUTHrWnRk
Tara71 is offline   Reply With Quote