our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Itstrevor

New to Anhedonia, Please Help/Read

Hello, first off I would like to say that I am currently suffering from anhedonia, a state where one is unable to experience emotions or experience pleasure. I would really appreciate any help with the matter (tips, how you overcame it, how long it took, how you realized you were "cured," if natural supplements helped, did it go away fully, etc.).

Some people cannot be cured, but from what I've read, I have reason to believe that it is temporary and that recovery takes anywhere from 4-9 months. The reason I believe this is:
1.) THC users frequently experience symptoms similar to what I do after withdrawal, and report taking several months to feel better
2.) Those taking SSRIs often report return of emotions after several months
3.) Those in perimenopause often report anhedonia and regain emotions after many months
4.) Depressive episodes take an average of 6-8 months to "lift"
5.) I do not have a history of any mood disorder, but my personality is that I tend to have a very active mind, am more reserved (pick and choose close friends), am very emotional and creative. Smaller things have always bothered me that do not bother others such as lights on when I'm sleeping

MY SITUATION---
The last two years have been very tumultuous for me (2 breakups, needy/not understanding girlfriend, moving twice, extreme academic pressure at elite university, sleeping problems due to roommate, challenged beliefs, unfavorable environment, loss of social supports, no personal space, etc.), and during my first year I did begin to feel down, but that was only situational. In other words, I suffered from situational depression, and if the stressor was taken away or I was given a week, I would be able to bounce back fully.

This last year (since the beginning of the school year) I began to decline into a different kind of depression - a severe depressive episode, that I am still dealing with. At first I did not think it was anything but just temporary (in other words, I should just "bite the bullet" and it would go away once I was out of school), but I noticed during winter break, I could not break out of it, and instead began experiencing extreme panic attacks over things that are seemingly ordinary, and gradually became unable to enjoy things I used to enjoy easily (music, sex drive, exercise, playing with friends or siblings, daydreaming, relaxing, etc.). I withdrew from the university a month and a half ago and am now at home.

It is difficult for me to deal with normal situations because of this, so I am mostly just sitting at home, trying to recuperate. I've tried exercising, being social, etc, but it seems that my stress threshold is very low and my feelings of pleasure are very attenuated. I have also experienced unexplained nausea (not due to illness)

There are moments where I get a glimpse of my old self (after crying it is usually empty, but there was once I cried and felt "better" for a few seconds)

OTHER INFO---
I guess my genes sort of predispose me towards this type of reaction to so much stress, because several of my family members have become depressed during their lives (having panic attacks, anhedonia, memory lapses due to traumatic events, etc., though each one seems different).

I have not used any illicit substances/drugs, and have a supportive family. I also think as positively as I can

My emotions are muted, so in other words, even though I am thinking "positively" or expose myself to things I used to love, I do not get a pleasurable feeling like I used to. Instead, often times I get the "rush" associated with it (adrenaline, sugar rush feeling), but there are no emotions associated with it, and instead, I find things that used to make me feel pleasure make me feel edgy or up tight. I think that this is because I get the "rush" without the "feel good" signals.

Waking up in the morning I feel anxiety and up tight (the complete opposite of feeling "fresh" and motivated in the morning), and there have been days where I feel nausea or "dreamlike" or have difficulty sleeping due to this state of anhedonia. I can definitely tell that the extreme stress I experienced brought this all about. It is really frustrating because I am only 19, and I want to enjoy these years, date, find someone special, and socialize, but do not get that "mental reward" from it. It's just like the signal is extremely low or does not go through or does not go through fully.

THINGS I'M THINKING ABOUT---
I went to the local vitamin store and stalked up on all sorts of things. I've read people have had success with licorice root, l-theanine, SAM-E, fish oil, and l-tyrosine. Is this true? Anyways, I bought all of these:

Fish Oil
L-Tyrosine
L-Theanine
5-Htp
SAM-E
Rhodiola Rhosea
Licorice Root
Vitamin B Complex
DLPA
Twin Labs Multivitamin
Valerian Root
Melatonin

I've read that dopamine is responsible for emotional response, while serotonin is for relaxation, biological clocks, sleeping, etc., and GABA is for control of emotions (it represses signals). Serotonin can block dopamine due to neurotransmitter competition which is why those on SSRIs can feel emotionally flat. For this reason I think I will try the supplements that target dopamine more rather than serotonin or GABA ones like Valerian or 5-Htp. I did find that taking L-tyrosine, I didn't feel too much of a difference after 3 days, and people say it is felt in hours...
Any pointers?
Itstrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
julieannboo

Re: New to Anhedonia, Please Help/Read

Welcome to the board.

Are you on any anti depressants or ever taken any or just got anhedonia?
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Itstrevor

My doctor prescribed me the basic antidepressants (SSRIs) but I was smart enough to research them, and found that users actually get anhedonia taking them, including the common sexual dysfunction.

I went back to him and explained my concerns (I did not take them) and he prescribed me Wellbutrin SR.

I did not take that either, because I'm worried I wont actually be healed from this horrible disease and it might make it worse, masking it. So instead I'm thinking to just wait things out and hope it goes away on its own, but that's mainly why I'm here. I want to be totally healed, but if I can't be, or the likelihood isn't good, or I will recover but never really become truly and fully "myself" again like I was, I might as well take Wellbutrin SR (though I've heard tolerance can build and you need to take more and more until it poops out and then you are left worse out than before) It's scary business for me
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
TryingtoGetWell

Welcome.

I'm guessing from your user name that you're a male. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

I also take it from your post that you didn't take any antidepressants (not the ones your doctor prescribed). Have you taken any other meds (including over-the-counter meds) in the last year or so?

Also, did your doctor check you for any organic cause for this - anemia, thyroid or other endocrine disorders, etc.?

Most people here are in or had been in antidepressant or other psych med withdrawal, which very commonly causes anhedonia, and also can actually cause depression even when one didn't have it before. Such withdrawal can also cause depersonalization and derealization, which can cause such symptoms.

So we're familiar with all those conditions, but most people in withdrawal, and often for some time after, cannot tolerate most supplements, even if we could prior to withdrawal. If you haven't been on meds, at least for some time, your experience may be different. It would depend on what you might be deficient in.

Have you tried magnesium? I don't think it would help anhedonia per se, but depression can be very similar to anhedonia in causing loss of ability to feel pleasure, and some people who have depression (even if they weren't in withdrawal) found they needed more magnesium than they got from diet.

The most common form of magnesium, magnesium oxide, is not well utilized by the body. But there's a lot of information about magnesium supplementation in the archives here, if you want to do a search of the site.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
iwantpeace

Hi.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. I (and everyone on this board) can relate in some form or another.

What you don't realize is what a fortunate position you are in. You havent taken any anti-depressants yet. My very best advice would be to find yourself a very good cognitive behavioural therapist in your area and starting seeing him/her asap. CBT Therapists are trained to deal with these issues, and studies have actually shown that it is just as effective as anti-depressant therapy (if not more, in my opinion).

I hope you find some peace....and seriously consider finding a good therapist. Make sure that he/she specializes in CBT. I believe this could be of great benefit to you. Also, be careful with SAM-E, i've heard some not so great things about it.

best of luck
xox
Feb 2011-July 2011 - 10mg
July 2011- Sept 2011- 30MG
Sept 2011-Nov 2011- 25mg -17.5mg
Nov 2011- JAN 12: 17.5mg -1.25mg
January 27th 2012- PAXIL FREE
Started Zoloft mid Nov 2011 - currently at 100mg
Feb 8 2012 - Zoloft 75mg
early April 2012
April 11 2012: 62mg - compounding pharmacy - side effects at 75mg not acceptable
April 21 2012 - 50mg - feel much better - staying here for a while.

Last edited by iwantpeace : 04-07-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: wanted to add more :)
iwantpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Itstrevor

I am male, yes, and have not taken any medications. This anhedonia is no doubt stress induced. I felt my mood declining more and more over the past two years (though this year the problems are not situational anymore) and just shrugged it off because I did not know that there would be a point where I could not just simply feel better again. It was extreme chronic stress, and I began developing panic attacks due to extreme academic pressure as well as not having an escape and dramatic lifestyle change.

I had to leave the university because I could no longer focus on studies and realized that I no longer had the ability to enjoy any activity anymore and was unable even to enjoy dreams that I once had of my future.

I am now home, I have been home for a month and a half, and am experiencing much anxiety (usually over small, everyday stress), panic attacks (every once and a while, so in other words, infrequently, it feels horrendous and does not go away on its own, once I just went over to a friend's house for a movie marathon and had to leave because it became so extreme), inability to experience any pleasure (from running, music, tv, video games, sex drive), inability to feel any emotion (no sadness, no love, no beauty to life, no color, etc., just complete apathy), and occasionally I feel nausea and as if I am in a dreamlike/zombie state.

Also what's wrong with SAM-E? I'm thinking as positively as I can, but the reward feeling isn't there, so how is CBT much of a help?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
gdep1

Hey, Itstrevor

Our stories are earily similar. I'll tell you mine and you will see similarities.

I'm am physicly healthy 20 year old male college student who never had bouts with depression/anhedonia before. However, I have always been considered a oversensitive person. About 3 months ago I was taking a 60 mg every day (for 2 weeks) of prednisone, along with an antibiotic to treat a spreading rash. During this time I was EXTREAMLY stressed about a girl whom I loved (really my first true love) who wanted nothing to do with me. She was always on my mind and it caused me intense stress. One day I tried talking to another girl to get my mind off of the girl I loved and EVERYTHING STOPPED. As crazy as it sound I stopped having ANY emotion. No love, happieness, sadness, stress, nervoussness. Very similar to you Itstrevor. I must say that during the time I was stressed and on medication I did drink a little alcohol and smoke an illegal substance (stupid I know, but I was stressed at the time. However I am not a substance abuser). Over time, through exercise and trying to keep up with school and social life even though i had no interest I was SLOWLY getting my joy back. But then, stupid me decided to go out and party/ drink one night only.

I FELL into a deep, deep hole of depression after this. I could feel sadness but still no feelings of stress, anger, happieness/joy. Just sadness. I planned out my suicide because of what happend to me. The worst part is knowing that I have such amazing family and friends around me and who love me and I can't love them back. I feel nothing but worthlessness in my life.

I have tried SAM-e for about a week and I believe this helped me with the suicidal thoughts. I then, through my univeristies p-doc, was prescribed 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL. I've been on this for about 4 weeks now and still not much improvement. I plan on supplementing this with Fish Oil when I go back home for summer ( I also contemplating dropping our of my semester during this bout, but my parents said it would help if I "stick to my routine")

As much as I try keeping a positive attitude, or when something I should be happy about occurs, I just can't attain that happieness I once had.

As you can see buddy, we are at VERY similar states. I'm still realatively new to anhedonia, 3 months so far for me, and so far all I've tried is the SAM-e and currently on wellbutrin xl (which really isnt helping). Have you found any success with anything. I think we can work together on getting through this nightmare and getting our lives back.

Let me know.

Best
gdep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Itstrevor

Has ANYONE recovered completely from anhedonia?? I'm still suffering it. The docs put me on wellbutrin and abilify, but it hasn't changed a bit
Old 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Bilo76

Why do you think this is anhedonia? I thought anhedonia mend the absence of any feelings. So no joy, no sadness, no anger, nothing.
However you cry for instance. And get anger.

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstrevor View Post
Has ANYONE recovered completely from anhedonia?? I'm still suffering it. The docs put me on wellbutrin and abilify, but it hasn't changed a bit
Abilify? What have they diagnosed you with?

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilo76 View Post
Why do you think this is anhedonia? I thought anhedonia mend the absence of any feelings. So no joy, no sadness, no anger, nothing.
However you cry for instance. And get anger.
Anhedonia is the inability to feel pleasure. Or, according to the
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition, anhedonia is "inability to enjoy what is usually pleasurable."

People in withdrawal (and certain other conditions - sometimes from meds themselves) often experience what we usually call "emotional numbness" here - that would apply to many or all kinds of emotions, and is different from anhedonia. One can experience both simultaneously, though - often seen on these boards.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

I'm confused; in posts 3 and 6 you said you haven't taken any medications, including the Wellbutrin but in post 8, you're saying the docs put you on both Wellbutrin and Abilify, but your situation hasn't changed.

So, are you taking medication, or not? And why would your doctor prescribe you an anti psychotic for anhedonia that's stress induced?

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
aberdeen

Hey that clears something up for me. What I've been calling anhedonia is just emotional numbness I guess? I don't feel much either happy or sad.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
TryingtoGetWell

In addition to clarifying whether you've gone on meds (Wellbutrin, Abilify) since your earlier posts, could you list what over-the-counter meds (or prescription meds for other conditions) and/or recreational drugs (don't worry - we don't know who you are! - and this information could be important) you might have taken in the months (up to a year or thereabouts) prior to the onset of the anhedonia.

As for supplements, from your first post above:

Quote:
THINGS I'M THINKING ABOUT---
I went to the local vitamin store and stalked up on all sorts of things. I've read people have had success with licorice root, l-theanine, SAM-E, fish oil, and l-tyrosine. Is this true? Anyways, I bought all of these:

Fish Oil
L-Tyrosine
L-Theanine
5-Htp
SAM-E
Rhodiola Rhosea
Licorice Root
Vitamin B Complex
DLPA
Twin Labs Multivitamin
Valerian Root
Melatonin

I've read that dopamine is responsible for emotional response, while serotonin is for relaxation, biological clocks, sleeping, etc., and GABA is for control of emotions (it represses signals). Serotonin can block dopamine due to neurotransmitter competition which is why those on SSRIs can feel emotionally flat. For this reason I think I will try the supplements that target dopamine more rather than serotonin or GABA ones like Valerian or 5-Htp. I did find that taking L-tyrosine, I didn't feel too much of a difference after 3 days, and people say it is felt in hours...
Any pointers?
Just wanted to point out a couple of things. Many supplements need time to take effect - depends on the supplement. Also, be sure to try any supplements one at a time, with intervals of at least a week if possible, to be able to identify any positive or adverse effects.

And most importantly (for future reference) - you might need to hold off on supplements if you're now on psychotropic meds. And possibly for some time after if you take such meds for any length of time; they sometimes cause the body to become sensitized and respond very differently than they did previously or would normally, and in many, though not all, of us this can be the case for months or even years after taking and going off these meds.

Don't misunderstand - I'm a strong advocate of knowledgeable use of good nutritional supplements used properly. But they're complex - not as simple and most people think. This is true anytime, but a particular concern with many of us after meds make changes in our body - then the normal rules don't apply for some time. We don't know why this is true for some people and not others, but we also don't know why people can respond so differently to meds (not just psychotropic meds) as well as to withdrawal from meds.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
GrandmaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Hey that clears something up for me. What I've been calling anhedonia is just emotional numbness I guess? I don't feel much either happy or sad.
Hey, me too! I think this is what I call my "batcave". I can't pronounce this aneheda so btter stick to batcave I think.
over 6 weeks-crashed after 6 mos
June 2011 - 8mg 5%
July 2011 - 9mg
July-Oct 8mg/9mg (inacurate scales)
Oct 2011 - 8.6 caps
Nov 2011 - 8.1 caps
Dec 2011 - 8.1 tab
Dec 14 - 7.7
Jan 11 - 7.3
May 2012 - 7.0
Jun 6.6
Aug 6.4 2.5%
Oct 6.2
Dec 6.0
Jan 5.7 5% stupid move
Jun 5.5 2.5%
Aug 5.3
Oct 5.1
Jan 2014 4.9
Feb 4.8
Mar 4.7
GrandmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
schwanke

Oh man. Abilify. From what I've read here, people have had a much tougher time with this than SSRIs. Like you said Trevor, the anhedonia/depression might just have been from chronic stress, lack of sleep, and anxiety. Your good emotions were probably still there, but the anxiety probably overpowered them. That's what I remember happening when I had panic attacks. If you manage the panic/anxiety with natural means, ie. exercise, CBT, good rest/sleep, you can probably get back to your good emotions. But man, I'd stay faaaarrrr away from the Abilify. And to be honest, the Wellbutrin too. I wish I had never taken anything, and it'd be tragic for you to make the same mistake as me. I strongly urge you to exhaust all non-pharmaceutical options before you continue with Abilify. CBT can really work BETTER than drugs. I really believe that.

Off Zoloft as of 9/30/10
schwanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
TryingtoGetWell

Just realized after asking you about other meds including over the counter ones, and recreational drugs, that you partially answered that in your first post. Although often people don't realize that some medications that are not for mood can affect emotional condition even once off the med, so let us know if there were any other kinds.

I also forgot to address the SAM-e. The biggest concern with that is taking it with serotonergic meds (SSRIs and some others) because the combination can potentially cause serotonin syndrome, a very dangerous condition where the body has dangerously high levels of serotonin.

The other concerns is that even once off SSRIS, people too often have frighteningly bad reactions to SAM-e, so that's a big concern here on a forum primarily composed of people tapering off of or having gone off of SSRIs.

There have been a few reports on the net about people who never took serotonergic meds like SSRIs still having very bad reactions that can last some time. That seems to be extremely rare, and adverse reactions potentially can happen with many things, but evidently it can happen.

I took SAM-e while still on paxil - had no idea it could be a problem. (Same with Ultram [tramadol], which was prescribed at times by my rheumatologist.) I had no problem with either - maybe because I was on a fairly low dose of paxil (15 mg/day), but knowing the dangers of it - and Ultram, I would never knowingly take that chance. Not worth it.

I took the SAM-e for severe inflammatory arthritis, and like I said, I was lucky and had no problems from it and it was a miracle for my arthritis. Ironically I had to stop taking it because I'm allergic to enteric coatings and the allergic reactions (hives etc.) were increasing too much.

But when in acute withdrawal from a too-fast taper from paxil (and other complicating factors medically I won't bore you with), I was so desperate I tried SAM-e, not for arthritis this time, but for the horrible depression/anhedonia/other withdrawal symptoms. My withdrawal was so horrific I didn't care if I got hives. (I was already itchy from withdrawal - and I was desperate.) I cannot describe how severe a reaction I had. Terrifying. (I've posted about this in the past here.) Others have mentioned having this happen too.

This was many months after my last dose of paxil, so I want to repeat my warning about it, though it might help some people who haven't taken psychotropic meds.

btw, I've been thinking about your situation a lot and will post more thoughts later.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
IMISSME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingtoGetWell View Post
Just realized after asking you about other meds including over the counter ones, and recreational drugs, that you partially answered that in your first post. Although often people don't realize that some medications that are not for mood can affect emotional condition even once off the med, so let us know if there were any other kinds.

I also forgot to address the SAM-e. The biggest concern with that is taking it with serotonergic meds (SSRIs and some others) because the combination can potentially cause serotonin syndrome, a very dangerous condition where the body has dangerously high levels of serotonin.

The other concerns is that even once off SSRIS, people too often have frighteningly bad reactions to SAM-e, so that's a big concern here on a forum primarily composed of people tapering off of or having gone off of SSRIs.

There have been a few reports on the net about people who never took serotonergic meds like SSRIs still having very bad reactions that can last some time. That seems to be extremely rare, and adverse reactions potentially can happen with many things, but evidently it can happen.

I took SAM-e while still on paxil - had no idea it could be a problem. (Same with Ultram [tramadol], which was prescribed at times by my rheumatologist.) I had no problem with either - maybe because I was on a fairly low dose of paxil (15 mg/day), but knowing the dangers of it - and Ultram, I would never knowingly take that chance. Not worth it.

I took the SAM-e for severe inflammatory arthritis, and like I said, I was lucky and had no problems from it and it was a miracle for my arthritis. Ironically I had to stop taking it because I'm allergic to enteric coatings and the allergic reactions (hives etc.) were increasing too much.

But when in acute withdrawal from a too-fast taper from paxil (and other complicating factors medically I won't bore you with), I was so desperate I tried SAM-e, not for arthritis this time, but for the horrible depression/anhedonia/other withdrawal symptoms. My withdrawal was so horrific I didn't care if I got hives. (I was already itchy from withdrawal - and I was desperate.) I cannot describe how severe a reaction I had. Terrifying. (I've posted about this in the past here.) Others have mentioned having this happen too.

This was many months after my last dose of paxil, so I want to repeat my warning about it, though it might help some people who haven't taken psychotropic meds.

btw, I've been thinking about your situation a lot and will post more thoughts later.
I had this exact thing happen to me. On recommendation from my therapist I bought the Mood Cure book and my girlfriend read the part about natural supplements for depression/low mood. This was about 6 weeks post Paxil and before remeron. I took two capsules of 5-HTP at 10 and 10:30 at night, went to sleep then at midnight shot out of bed and paced and crawled the walls until morning. I almost went to the ER. She thought she had poisoned me. This was before all hell broke lose at around 9 or 10 weeks off Paxil. This stuff is all crazy.
1 month 5 mg
5/5/2011 C/T'd
2 months physical symptoms minor bad thoughts then emotional hell, complete panic mid July
July 2011 started 15 mg Remeron for sleep
November 2013 at 1.0mg Remeron

IMISSME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Itstrevor

I succumbed to taking the wellbutrin and abilify because after not sleeping for 3 days I was sent to the ER and consequently hospitalized in a psych ward because it was determined that if I was not stabilized quickly I could rapidly get a worse condition due to my family history of mental illness (schizophrenia and depression mostly).

The doctors say I don't have schizophrenia, but classify it as "depression." I don't feel depressed. In fact, I don't feel anything. Just frustrated. It truly is weird. This was before I tried any antidepressants, now that I am on them, some negative symptoms have gone away, but I still have anhedonia.

I just wonder if I will ever experience love again, or sadness, or euphoria. It seems like all is lost, and I'm doomed to be a robot for the rest of my long long life. I've never taken any illicit drugs or drunk much alcohol, it was simply induced by far too much stress.

Will I ever get better? How long should I expect? Should I try cabergoline? I really wish I could get into dating or enjoying things this early in life... I miss my old self and laughing with friends or enjoying music and everything else

Also, I would not have tried antidepressants but I exhausted all other remedies and methods for getting my emotions back - it just got worse and worse, even after leaving college and living stress free. I finally had to in order to be stabilized and at the psych ward they basically tell you you have to take it. (I don't mind that, my situation just seemed to be worsening on its own)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
markca

my suggestion is dont take any mind drugs, start up a vigorous exercise program and force yourself to do it. perhaps plan a future trip or event to look forward to.
volunteer for something maybe 1 hour per week.
throw yourselfninto study ...there are many different ways to attack this.
keep away from meds...believe me, you just dont want to go down that path!
they will multiply any current state for the worse a million fold.!
28 Sept10 drug free..psych & emot. torture
8 feb12 windows of nrmlty(16 mnths)
28 Sept12 stabilising (24 mnths) (what anightmare)
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
markca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
This was before I tried any antidepressants, now that I am on them, some negative symptoms have gone away, but I still have anhedonia.
Just to make it clear, Abilify isn't an antidepressant. It's an antipsychotic, used for schizophrenia for the most part, or severe bipolar.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
nicole55

I hope you will seek out some therapy from a therapist or counselor. Taking meds is a very personal decision. BUt a therapist can help regardless if you try drugs or not , by just talking things out and learning some techniques to help with stress, anxiety, sadness , fear, whatever, etc. I also recommend regular exercise.

Have you had a full physical and blood taken, to just check all your blood levels are normal etc.? If it could be a physical medical thing-someone mentioned that above, and it's a good idea.

I am not trying to diagnose anyone - I just wanted to mention, that not all people who have depression are lethargic, you can have a more agitated form of depression. Or unrelenting anxiety/stress, can make some start to get depressed over the situation, causing someone to have both the original anxiety/stress and then the depression over it , not going away etc.
Both anxiety and depression can be worse in the morning for various reasons, cortisol levels they say are higher in the morning and just time constraints at that time of day.etc. . You can do a search on that.

Try some therapy and regular exercise no matter what else you do. I think it can help.
reason for taking: anxiety
how long taking: 5yrs
attempts to stop: 4th attempt worked!! (first 2 tries w/doctor too fast, 3rd try found this place-5mg drops-still too fast)

briefly went back to ssri's- 12/07 tried Zoloft in desperation//awful side effects starting up, tapered quickly after only 4 weeks on

10/13 doing good, don't care for my job-need to work on that
nicole55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
nicole55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Just to make it clear, Abilify isn't an antidepressant. It's an antipsychotic, used for schizophrenia for the most part, or severe bipolar.
Yikes! I've seen those commercials all over the place about "adding it to your antidepressant" . I laugh and try to tune them out, walk out of the room, so I haven't paid much attention, but I thought it was another ssri or snri, not a antipsychotic. UHHHHHH!
reason for taking: anxiety
how long taking: 5yrs
attempts to stop: 4th attempt worked!! (first 2 tries w/doctor too fast, 3rd try found this place-5mg drops-still too fast)

briefly went back to ssri's- 12/07 tried Zoloft in desperation//awful side effects starting up, tapered quickly after only 4 weeks on

10/13 doing good, don't care for my job-need to work on that
nicole55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
noid

Itstrevor did you check for depersonalization ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

That's what happened to myself, especially the "lost the ability to daydream" part, numbness, anhedonia. Have you a sense that you don't recognize yourself, or a sense of unreality ?

I don't want to fear you but I think that's like a permanent damage in the brain, I have it for 5 years and that just go worse.

Ive that sh*t, and that have gone far worse since ssri, I don't think it is the solution
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
miriza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole55 View Post
Yikes! I've seen those commercials all over the place about "adding it to your antidepressant" . I laugh and try to tune them out, walk out of the room, so I haven't paid much attention, but I thought it was another ssri or snri, not a antipsychotic. UHHHHHH!
Exactly! It irks me that they try to hide what it is. Actually I have seen their printed ads on magazines and they don't even say in the main ad that it's an antipsychotic. It's not until you read the fine print at the back that you find out. That practice should be banned! I don't know why the FDA allows it!
Imipramine:
37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!
5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)
Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.
Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience.
miriza is offline   Reply With Quote