our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
kathrynE

Help please! After effexor out of body withdrawal symptoms

is this emoticon what I'm in for? Hello everyone. Effexor was totally discontinued in January. I had w/d symptoms into February and then felt pretty good. Then I ran into a huge amount and number of stressors and started to feel somewhat disassociative at times with reality, downhearted (even depressed) anxious and my insomnia returned. I have just spent a great deal of time reading others sories of what they experienced after their body realized the drug was gone and what occurred during the healing process. I knew their was a period of time after that the CNS took needing to heal but was totally ignorant on just what this entailed. I would be truly greatful for an addressed overview of what I might be in for. I know this sounds pitifully simplified as the scope seems so broad and varied but it is the best i can do in thinking of what and how to ask. I'm not even sure this post is in the proper forum so I truly apologize if not. So as not to get really discouraged by answers I would ask if anyone also can offer coping techniques advise and finally hope. This is all written in a small paragraph but please don't think I underestimate the tall order it really encompasses and my wording as usual seems to minimize my concern but know that is a misrepresentation and I am scared and discouraged but hoping praying for understanding and words returned I can use understand and give me hope I can cope with this. Thank yo so much for reading this and any time you knidly and generously spend your time in responding. I often come across as glib or matter of fact by my writing style. PLEASE don't take me this way. A much less than adequate two words but thank you ahead of time! Also I am writing this on a blackberry so any disjointedness or grammar errors or just plain bungling - please forgive
July15,2011 hosp put on 150mg effexor 4mg rivotril
Oct 15,2011 75mg effexor 4mg rivotril
Dec 15, 2011 37.5mg effexor 4mg rivotil to present
Jan 15, 2012 0mg effexor 4mg rivotril-hanging in
Other meds: elavil 100mg bed, apo-lansoprazoleDR 30mg am + bed, synthroid 175mcg am, nizatidine 300mg bed, ramipril 5mg am.
day 9 mos enough for awhile
kathrynE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
kathrynE

Re: Help please! After effexor out of body withdrawal symptoms

I find myself doubting everything. Who I am. Who I was. These feelings that are all inside me and seem to make no sense. Do I tell anyone? Itsgone on so long its old news to everyone I try to describe what I feel. Isn't this withdrawal u talk of over yet? It must be they say. Or worse yet they say nothing. They're sick of me being sick. Years of side effects from Benzos. Now they think with not on Effexor anymore I shoud be over withdrawal. So did I. Now I've told them there's more and they just don't want to hear it. Everyone I know is in their own crisis. Some just terrible. My best friends daughter just diagnosed HIV+ I go to AA to deal with the losses and harm done by the Benzos that my family have left. I don't blame them. I put them through hell. But this is so damn lonely. Until I get my divorce settlement I live in an apt sprayed improperly for bedbugs and I've done all the right things to protect what I have while I live here but its a tv kitchen bathroom and a bed. Purely functional. I miss the country. I live now on a busy street. Sorry to whine but I'm really really fed up and now I had recovered enough I thought it was ok to start seeing a man I care about and then this after effects come on. I think too much. I cry too much. Noone trusts being near me cuz of bedbugs. They don't want me at there place and sure as hell weont come here. I try to keep my body healthy but depend on a centre nearby for food and they r kind and generous but there's no meat. So for protein I eat peanut butter. This used to be since I landed here in June frome a safehouse all a bit of an adventure and something I could feel some pride in doing. Now I'm just fed up lonely and always on guard. Its not safe where I live but affordable. I tell myself about the homeless. At least I have a dry place to sleep. Have unwanted company (bugs) but a dry warm place. I'm sorry I'm whining I know but this is the blood and guts raw me instead of the articulate writer in my first entry. I even changed my avatar cuz I don't find this at all funny. I google up effexor lawsuits as I heard at this centre people under trusteeshp which I'm not have had a class action lawsuit launched on their behalf. Blah blah blah. Whine whine. Cud go on and on at least I vented a bit but now I'm crying again. Do I have to say sorry here too?
Other meds: elavil 100mg bed, apo-lansoprazoleDR 30mg am + bed, synthroid 175mcg am, nizatidine 300mg bed, ramipril 5mg am.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
NoRx4me

Hi Kathryn,

I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time...both with recent traumatic experiences and withdrawal/med issues. It sounds like you are going through tremendous changes that aren't pleasant at all. It sucks that not all of us have supportive or understanding friends and family.

Back in 2010 I had to move into an apartment that was really small, really loud and the area was really crowded. Thankfully, I got to move to a better place and it made a big difference. People don't realize how much our environment effects our well being.

I may be a little confused; are you saying that Effexor was discontinued in Canada in January? So, you had to quit cold turkey in January?

Also, I see you are on Synthroid. Effexor effects the thyroid and thyroid meds... you should have your levels checked to see if the Synthroid needs to be adjusted.

P.S. Are the "other meds" what you're taking now?
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
TryingtoGetWell

Suzanne, I think January was when Kathryn went off (took last dose) of her effexor.

Hope I'm correct on this.

*10% of population of Canada breathes huge sigh of relief* lol.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
TryingtoGetWell

Kathryn, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with so much. You're an incredibly brave and strong person.

I thought I'd had everything except pestilence and locusts to deal with during withdrawal, but somehow I did miss out on bedbugs lol.

But I know someone who had a problem with them, and some research showed that a large part of the problem was that the landlord sprayed units as they were affected, rather than treating the whole building at one time, resulting in the bugs just packing up and moving around the building, then returning when that apartment was sprayed. They live in walls, crevices, etc.

This person finally found a low-budget but well-maintained building (took a lot of diligent searching - and talking directly to tenants to make sure there really was no problem in the new building), then - this was tough - had to get rid of all possessions and start over. Took a while, but now living happily in a much-better run apartment and loves it, and slowly, bit by bit, rebuilt life/possessions.

The best solution is for the landlord to treat the entire building, and to use a pest-control company (spray or heat method) that is specifically experienced and successful with bedbugs. Is there a government agency where you live who can do anything on your (and other residents') behalf?

It was very, very tough for the person I mentioned to have to get rid of all possessions, but the situation was intolerable and interestingly, it led over time to a rebirth of sorts and a much happier life situation in many ways than previously.

As for an overview of what you're in for re the effexor withdrawal, I expect that varies from person to person. Hopefully some people who withdrew from effexor can give you their insights, but bear in mind that everyone's body and situation are different.

Are your withdrawal symptoms any better since January?
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
kathrynE

Hi! Re the bedbugs. They sprayed but the spray doesn't kill the eggs so it will all start up again. The second spray they did was just my apt so as mentioned they'll just pack up and move elsewhere and when residual aggect wanes they'll visit me again. Hence the keep my stuff in sealed containers. No pictures on walls. Just have out what I need to function. By February most withdrawal was gone. Then two weels or so ago I started becoming overwhelmed by any stressor, cried at nothing terrible anxiety etc. So a few days ago started researching forum and read of what the brain healing entails and yup everything I feel fits! Because I was the one who threatened to call the Health Board if landlord didn't do something I've become a target for any complaint they can throw at me including that I brought them here. Won't get into but know its not true and other tenants told same so not a popular person. With this "healing of brain" I get almost paranoid, well I DO get paranoid of anyone making any slight complaint. They're looking for a reason to get rid of me. I have neither the funds nor support to move. I'm stuck but after this mornings synptoms their threats seem minor. At least today. Everything is a new ballgame everyday. The noise in here is constant and loud from the busy street I'm on, the screeching trains less than a block away, the LRT and constant sirens of emergency vehicles. Last night there was a roadblock right in front of my suite with two firetrucks as some poor guy was going to jump off the hotel two blocks away which is one of the seediest hotels in this very large city. Moving would be a pleasure but considering I left living in my overdraft as my daughter got married and of course ex+spouse didn't care and small max on visa used for pharmacy needs (my pharmacist has known me 9 yrs and carries products he can give me a break on that I haven't affordable access to here - no car) I, until settlement haven't a hope in hell of getting out. I live on pension! I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't and can be calm about that now but get real scared sometimes. Someone stole from me lasdt month and if man I care about I mentioned earlier, hadn't drove into city and gave me some of his pension money I'd have been out on street. With estranged family noone would have taken me in so was right out of it. The huge disparity from where I lived before leaving abuse to now is almost unbelievable and if my values centred around money or status I don't think I'd have kept my sanity. That's enough for now. I can feel myself getting more anxious. Thank you for caring really a whole bunch lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
kathrynE

I was just speaking with my pharmacist on an unrelated matter and brought up the brain healing issue after SSRIs as his mother was on 350mg Effexor for 15 yrs and he said she only had trouble for a month but nothing after. Have I got something terribly wrong in my research here. I know I have withdrawal symptoms but his, usually reliable, info contradicts my understanding that the brain healing has withdrawal like symptoms. Someone please respond.
Gratefully
Kathryn
Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
aberdeen

You're in my prayers. Things will get better, nothing lasts forever right? Your money situation and your w/d symptoms will improve over time, in the meantime you can always hang out with us while you wait it out!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
kathrynE

Lol. Thanks for the invite! You got food? But just as an aside. Did u ever find yourself burdened with excessive almost obsessive worrying that you KNEW wouldn't change anything but couldn't shake off? You're a good bunch!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
aberdeen

Well if you hang out with us here long enough on this board you'll find someone who knows exactly what you're feeling. I have been in that anxious place many times, both on meds and off and mostly while trying to get off them. It's tricky and I find it much worse when I'm coming off an antidepressant. If I could squeeze food through the internet pages I would try,lol.

3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
kathrynE

Here's a good laugh for you guys! A friend just gave me a lecture about going to a gym 5 days a week and gave me a book by Suze Orman called Women and Money and I'm lying here shaking with anxiety reading it for when settlement comes thru and lazy ex abusive husband has let house DEPRECIATE. Life is so flipping bizarre! The book is starting so far with her start into wisdom at a young age. I'm flipping 56! 57 in June. My settlement will be a pittance. My self confidence and esteem with all this anxiety is nearly zip but I'm reading about financial success! U gotta keep an eye on how I turn out if for nothing but bizarre curiosity or a good laugh. Not saying I'm not going to try once my body quits shaking enough to make it down the five flights of my apt bldg but holy crow. Tune in next time lol!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
NoRx4me

If someone gave me a Suze Orman book, I would be selling it on Ebay, not reading it. That's about all it would do for me. You can't be smart with money when you make $9 an hour and don't own a thing except a 1997 car.

If you think it might have some useful info for you when you get money down the line, read it then. It sounds like torture.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
kathrynE

Lol! I know. Just reading the first three flipping chapters is depressing. If u read how I'm paying my bills now u can see you're better off than me! Sucks to be us. Lol! I was just promoted to a high position in my company and on day promo was to become effective I was diagnosed with CFS because of a collection of synptoms all which from research match side effects of long-term use of benzos! The house I'm waiting for payout on as divorce settlement after leaving abusive husband and promised the world if I did, I could have bought myself. Hindsight is 20/20 but if I don't laugh now, as all symptoms are gone since going down 2/3 of benzos, I might as well poke my mind's eyes out so I can't see and I don't have post-graduate education and I'm 57 years old this June. However I do have a relatively paltry settlement coming so I'll read the damn thing. I know nothing of this Suse Orman but what the heck. Its not like my days are crowded with things to do. Can't afford bus tickets. So far I'm reading she worked in a restaurant, moaned to a customer who liked her pretty blue eyes and smile, that she'd asked her parents for $20,000 to buy a restaurant but they couldn't help, and that customer gave her $20.000 and all the otherts chipped in to make it 50,000. Hmmmmmm? Should I get blue contacts, beg for money for a face lift (and other lifts), go thru withdrawal working when I'm just JUST getting my health back after more than 20 years of being almost totally disabled?

I guess it won't hurt to read for settlement money but how realistic is it to see my situation being improved a huge amount. My settlement once bank carrying me now is paid off, will be less than equal to poverty level annual salary. As I said before, keep tuned in. I think getting rich is about as realistic as sueing over what effexor has done AND benzos (though I'm accountable for taking them). There are rumors on the net of class action suits in Canada now where I live for Effexor withdrawal but what proof have I got. No Dr believes in this withdrawal or is too afraid to say or the benzo withdrawal so I haven't gone running to them and for the benzos, I sure as hell wouldn't place the withdrawal in any rehab centre's hands. The brain damage their quick withdrawal would have done could have left me with permanent brain damage like having my eyes move constantly in their sockets. Really! At least from all the research I've done. So anything I have to offer is unsubstantiated as I've done it by myself, with my Dr's knowledge (but somewhat contentious and smirk-face attitude), living alone in a virtual slum unable to afford food and desparately trying to hold onto my pride.

But, like I said (sorry for being repititious), I'll read it. So far I've reacted letting myself feel inadequate for not being better educated, less than smart for taking drugs that ruined a blossoming career and embarrassed after finding dead bedbugs in apt when landlord said after second spray they didn't find any and is really making me a scapegoat but I have not the resources nor assistance to move. I tried phoning Govt health agencies with less than interested response. Gotta laugh to stay sane! I go to a centre a block away for the people in poverty around here largely active or once addicts of one sort or another and they feed me! From a house backing onto a river in the country to this. Oh Suze: "Can u help me.". I know a defeatest attitude but I'll read the book and keep trying to muster hope from the gutter and hang onto my pride while I withdraw alone with this site and some from the centre's. Keep tuned in. Haha!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
kathrynE

Picturing you all wolfing down ham or turkey and Easter eggs. Yum!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
kathrynE

OK. I'm panicking so bad it isn't funny. Noone has given me a definitive answer re the symptoms of the brain healing after effexor and I'm now wondering if I should start getting off the benzos or when. Stupid me has tried reducing benzos last few days. Was feeling so down thought how much worse can it get. Might as well get it over with while feeling bad anyway. Don't think so and checked out site Benzo exodus I used to get off the first 2/3 of benzos but it appears to have shut down and was my only trusted source. Can anyone PLEASE tell me of this brain healing withdrawal symptom thing with SSRIs and if they know where I can go to now for advice on Benzos. I cannot trust my Drs. They pooh pooh any of this. I am going back to where I was on benzos. Stupid stupid mistake. Hence the shape I'm in. So upset with myself so alone so fedd up. Please anyone can you give me some encouragement and info pls. I've already berated myself enough for my stupidity. I'm sitting here crying and can hardly see to type on this stupid phone with noone to turn to but u. I'm sorry for my stupidity. I know I did a stupid thing but I'm not a Dr chemist pharmacist and need somewhere to turn to. So ticked off at myself
Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
audrealjade

Kathryn you continue to be in my prayers. I don't have good advice to give you but know that you are a damn strong woman and deserve to live a happy life bedbug free! Sending you virtual hugs and I hope someone on here can provide some information for you.
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
kathrynE

I want u to know I often think of you but mostly I want you to know the impact of u taking the time to respond to me. I felt your hug and that someone cares has me crying. I feel so alone. I'm so tired of fighting alone and wondering how ones own children and family even after my acknowledging and apologizing for what under the drugs I was prescribed influence the hell they went thru it means nothing to them all I've done to change my life and have or care not enough to have me in any way in their life. I know people are scared of the bugs but I leave this place bug free or I don't leave except for walks. Today my heart is breaking and you who don't even know me have the kindnesds in your heart to say nice things about me and even pray for me. I wish you could see the tears of gratitude flowing. Thank you
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
aberdeen

We all have to support each other, because only those of us in similar situations can understand. That little picture in your avatar means a lot to me by the way....my Mother had that picture framed and hanging beside my bed for a long time in the house I grew up in. Not when I was a child, but after I moved away and she redid my old room. I would sleep over and look at it at night before I went to sleep.I had forgotten all about that picture until I saw it here!

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
kathrynE

I miss my mother too. I miss my life. I'm sorry. I went for a walk and ended up crying in the arms of an almost stranger. Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all suicidal like the old days on benzos and SSRIs. I just don't have any purpose I can dins for being here. I'm alone. I spend even the most important days alone. Christmas easter mothers day birthday always alone. This is not want I want in life. I give but none see to give back but take and its been that way for years. I give and make it special because I know how much it would mean to me and I love to see what it means to others and I love to see how it makes them feel but I feel totsally fortgoytten. I hope your angel is your mom and u can feel her with you forgive my mistakes. All I do is cry and force myself to do what makes me healthy eat drink walk study money strategies if I ever get my divorce settlement but that far away goal of relief only gets farhther away and I'm running out of strength. Please don't take this as unappreciative. At least I can tell someone how things r. Sorry if I bummed u out
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
aberdeen

Nope, not bummed out at all. If you could only hear the things I think when I'm down and out too. Sometimes when I'm at the bottom, I pray. I believe God hears us and understands when no one else can. I also believe He can show us light when it's dark. When my child asks me how I can know there's really God I just ask them how can there not be? Despite what a mess we've made, this world is beautiful and detailed and perfect, that could never happen by accident. It works for a 5 year old and sometimes I still need to use that logic too when I'm desperate and scared. You're never alone.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #21
audrealjade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
Nope, not bummed out at all. If you could only hear the things I think when I'm down and out too. Sometimes when I'm at the bottom, I pray. I believe God hears us and understands when no one else can. I also believe He can show us light when it's dark. When my child asks me how I can know there's really God I just ask them how can there not be? Despite what a mess we've made, this world is beautiful and detailed and perfect, that could never happen by accident. It works for a 5 year old and sometimes I still need to use that logic too when I'm desperate and scared. You're never alone.

I have those same thoughts. When I am incredibly scared (which is pretty much 24/7 now) I try to divert my thoughts to prayer and it does help.

Kathryn we are all always here for you. Are there any support groups in your area? It would be nice for you to have a place where you can interact with people one on one and that may help with the loneliness. Even a divorce support group? You may want to go to your library and see what info they have.
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
kathrynE

Well I certainly spent a lot of time lost in me didn't I. I progressed to anger and blame and then shame. I go to AA meetings and I learn there more about life and living and giving. With my addiction to benzos and SSRIs I spent considerable time alone in bed and got lost in poor me and then drug induced or not suicidal thoughts came then attempts. I lost everyone. Can I blame them. No. Does blaming me do any good? No. Now I hurt they're gone forever. I guess that's natural but the best I can do right now is accept this reality and try not to make the same ingrained patterned mistakes. There is a certre near here I go to. That is where the AA meetings are. There are no support groups for these kinds of drugs. Noone believes what they do. I'm going to continue with this for now and try not to fly into the pain I felt alone at easter. Perhaps prepare before something somewhere I can be useful. In my grief and self pity I've chocked up another loss as I let my rage at the world show how ugly and dark my soul becomes and I am so sorry but it doesn't change facts. I now chose or asked if a man would be my sponsor to help me get out of this pattern of me shame blame hurt anger all from using these drugs I accepted the truth of doctors were the answer to my problems. Yes I pray to God. Sometimes crying on the floor. In the pain of accepting what is , is what is I pray today almost constantly. I'm sorry. Today is very hard. I will keep moving and try to make tomorrow better. Thank you for your patience. I know if this comes across as I feel I sound droll boring in numbness. I'm just burnt out but I won't leave without thanking you for your unselfisness , willingness to give and obvious love for others. I hope others as well as me love and appreciate your kindness and I hope someday I am well enough to return it. Love Kathryn
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Brassmonkey

Kathryn-- I just ran on to thei link and thought they may have some information that could be helpful.

http://www.acws.ca/map.php

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

1994 started 20mg Paxil,1999 30mg,2005 40mg
2010 pooped out
09/2011 CTed from 15oz vodka a night
09/2011 dropped to 36mg
06/2012 dropped to 19mg (past halfway point)
01/2013 dropped to 11.1mg
03/2013 dropped to 10.0mg
01/2014 dropped to 5.4mg
02/2014 dropped to 4.9mg
03/2014 dropped to 4.4mg

"Find a place inside where there is joy, and that joy will burn out the darkness." Joseph Campbell
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
kathrynE

Thank you for finding this link but I am out of a safehouse now since last June where I spent 5 months. I am primarily now seeking information about what I can expect after the Effexor is out of my body and my brain has to heal as I am experiencing symptoms extremely similar to withdrawal andfrom reading here saw that people post SSRI experienced this but thank you so much. If you had some other purpose for suggesting the names of these shelters I would be haapy and grateful to hear. Warm regards. Kathryn
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
kathrynE

Ok. What I'm going to paste here is very long but it is the thread I found here about post effexor and now can't find. PLEASE! Can anyone help me locate this?
> Within 3 months I was off Effexor and on 40mg of Cipralex. It was now March 2011 and I'd just made it through the longest winter of my life.
>
> March was my first window, I began to feel normal and I thought it was over. But by April, a month later, my body realized Effexor was gone for good and I crashed. I had all the classic W/D symptoms, and few I hadn't heard of before, like childhood memory flashbacks would suddenly fill my mind at random times during the day. I would wake up and the feelings from last night's dream wouldn't stop and would repeat through the day. I truly believed my mental state had been damaged permanently and that I would only ever escape this gnawing, grinding fear by dying. I have never been suicidal, but I had days where I obsessed about death. Ways to die, ages that people die, how people die and how soon would I get to die? That was a thought I had never ever had in my life. And the anxiety, like a squeezing vice in my stomach- it was a fear that made no sense, a fear that woke me at 4am every day, a fear that left me unable to eat, a fear that no one could see or understand. It was the first time in my life I had ever been able to imagine what hell might be like. Constant psychological torture. The minutes of each day were like wading though mud underwater, and the hours were agony. I clawed my way towards evening every day because my some miracle, it would lift around 7pm, just enough to breathe again. (even my Dr agrees now that only time was the real cure I needed). I had a consultation during that time with the original psychiatrist and she disagreed with everything my family Dr was doing, said W/D was not possible and that you can't have an excessive anxiety reaction to an SSRI. I had no idea who to believe, they had conflicting advice. It's scary when you can't trust a Dr, no one knows what is happening to you, and those closest to you don't even realize/understand what you're suffering. You feel alone.
>
> Somehow I crept through the days, often up at 4am pacing on my kitchen floor to try and calm the racing anxiety. I would get this internal crawling feeling underneath my skin and want to burst out of my own body. Sometimes I would get out of bed in the dark and lie on the floor curled up or stretched out trying to make the restless leg/body feeling go away. I would sit and read this forum, drive my kids to school, the lie on the couch too keyed up to nap. Or I'd be dragging myself out to mindlessly shop until they got home. My eyes hurt in the light, I had bright yellow diarrhea and cramps, I was cold, I lost tonnes of hair, I shook some days so bad I couldn't open a tea bag packet without dropping it, I had cold sweats at night, I lost 30 pounds from eating so little. Sometimes I lay awake terrified I had been permanently brain damaged. I obsessively scoured the internet for any scrap of hope or understanding. Some nights I held my Bible against my chest and slept with it. I just wanted to die.
>
> But then I began to have "windows" of feeling better. A few days here, a day there. Later maybe a week or two. It was so strange to have the anxiety lift that I would think over and over about what made it go away, was it because it was sunny? Because I took the right dose of Vitamins or got enough sleep? Was it because I prayed hard enough? But the truth was, it was better simply because it was better. My Dr couldn't explain the process for certain and neither could anyone else. The closest thing I came to understanding was this: the brain deregulates a certain amount of receptors while on SSRI's. They take a while to perk up again once the med is removed. During healing those receptors will one by one "wake up" again and as they do it temporarily unbalances the chemical equilibrium again. Then after a few days or weeks the chemicals re-balance, and a while later more recepetors wake up. I say this because after a bad wave, the "window" of feeling good was better than the last window. Each bad wave seemed to end with an even better window.
>
> By October of 2011, 7 months off Effexor, I was having a really good window for over a week when I realized that I felt normal. Like for real normal. By the end of the month I enjoyed Halloween with my kids. I ENJOYED it! I made their costumes, not because I had to go through the motions of being a good Mom, but because it was FUN and I WANTED to. We laughed! I ate candy! By November the "windows" were coming longer, and fuller. I began to remember ME. I felt alive again for the first time in almost 2 years.
>
> This past December marks the one year since I started coming off Effexor. I have more energy, more motivation, my appetite is back, I can think and write and add and spell....I promise you this, you will be ok again. You'll smell things again, hear things again, taste and touch things again and feel JOY. Curl up on the couch and pet your cat and feel PEACE and have no thoughts in your head except for what flavour of tea should I have tonight? You'll smell wood smoke and remember camping and smile. You won't be a robot Mommy anymore for those of you with kids... but they'll have REAL Mommy back. Mommy who can't wait to go to the Dollar store and get paint for a craft on a rainy Saturday, not even really noticing that it's raining. My hair stopped falling out and seems to be re-growing. You'll watch silly You Tube videos again instead of Googling "withdrawal symptoms from SSRI's". You'll remember your hobbies. You'll see your life stresses as totally manageable again. You will recover 100%. Every strange symptom I had is gone. I even gained back all my weight I lost (which sucks). My Dr assured me that nothing permanent is altered from SSRI's, and I believe it because I feel fine. Think about it-we KNOW alcohol actually KILLS brain cells yet I don't know anyone who is brain damaged from our days of over indulging. The brain is tough and it heals. I went from 225mg of Effexor after 6 years to 0mg in 3 months (and tried 2 other SSRI's in between). I'd love to say I'm on no meds at all, and it is my goal, but 18.75mg of Paxil is almost nothing compared to what I've been on for the past 7 years and I feel fine. I'm ok now. I'm so grateful to be here to help anyone else who needs it. Believe me, I know how much other people's success stories mean. I prayed for the day I could write one of my own for someone else and here I am.
> My mind has been restored and I am me again.