our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
logan66

Something very interesting, thought i would share.

I have been in and out of this site for a few years.
Anyway, i started this training course a few weeks ago and i had to meet with the facilitator for a one on one. This guy was soo happy, so positive, so full of spirit and life. While i am sitting there miserable, depressed, not laughing or smiling etc etc. I thought "wow, this guy will be good for me". Anyway, first day of training we were talking about life and stress and being unhappy/happy etc. He said there is help for you out there, dr's, medications, to help u get by. He said hes been on an antidpressant/anti anxiety med for a decade (as he had a high stress job). I was thinking "no wonder this guy is soo happy". He was obviously pro drugs and obv not knowing the repercutions and damage being done in his brain. It bothers me that people think its ok to just alter chemicals in there brain all willy nilly. Now i am here a wreck b/c of them. (I don't talk much as i see no point in conversing with other people nor do i care what they did last nite or how there day is going. I'm sad, i never laugh. I don't have many friends. I like to keep to myself and i pretty much hide in my room. I still think that people are always watching me and i'm very self concious. I feel hopeless and don't know why I am here. My head and ears are always stuffed up. I am not confident and have -100 self esteem. I know my testosterone has to been really bad aswell. I never get happy or mad. I would take even angry sometimes. I'm just blah. Just an empty shell with eyes.) So, he went on to say that when he was prescribed them, the dr said that 50% of the population are on some sort of med like this. He then went to his HR department to see if people at his work were taking them. She said 65% of the workers were on some type of med. It blew my mind. This guy is in mid 50's and obv 250-300 pounds. He has even mentioned in class how i always have a poker face and show no emotion. I am still struggling alot u guys, its been 3 years. I just thought i had to share this. Why don't we all just drug our selves up and have a fake happiness while the world runs a muck and pulls the wool over our eyes. I also think that is why this stuff is prescribed so much too, for that and obv for big business to make there money. I will continue to struggle and hang in there. Only thing I can do. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
NoRx4me

Re: Something very interesting, thought i would share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan66 View Post
Anyway, i started this training course a few weeks ago and i had to meet with the facilitator for a one on one. This guy was soo happy, so positive, so full of spirit and life. While i am sitting there miserable, depressed, not laughing or smiling etc etc. I thought "wow, this guy will be good for me". Anyway, first day of training we were talking about life and stress and being unhappy/happy etc. He said there is help for you out there, dr's, medications, to help u get by. He said hes been on an antidpressant/anti anxiety med for a decade (as he had a high stress job). I was thinking "no wonder this guy is soo happy". He was obviously pro drugs and obv not knowing the repercutions and damage being done in his brain. It bothers me that people think its ok to just alter chemicals in there brain all willy nilly. Now i am here a wreck b/c of them. (I don't talk much as i see no point in conversing with other people nor do i care what they did last nite or how there day is going. I'm sad, i never laugh. I don't have many friends. I like to keep to myself and i pretty much hide in my room. I still think that people are always watching me and i'm very self concious. I feel hopeless and don't know why I am here. My head and ears are always stuffed up. I am not confident and have -100 self esteem. I know my testosterone has to been really bad aswell. I never get happy or mad. I would take even angry sometimes. I'm just blah. Just an empty shell with eyes.) So, he went on to say that when he was prescribed them, the dr said that 50% of the population are on some sort of med like this. He then went to his HR department to see if people at his work were taking them. She said 65% of the workers were on some type of med. It blew my mind. This guy is in mid 50's and obv 250-300 pounds. He has even mentioned in class how i always have a poker face and show no emotion. I am still struggling alot u guys, its been 3 years. I just thought i had to share this. Why don't we all just drug our selves up and have a fake happiness while the world runs a muck and pulls the wool over our eyes. I also think that is why this stuff is prescribed so much too, for that and obv for big business to make there money. I will continue to struggle and hang in there. Only thing I can do. Thanks for listening.
Wow, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. We have the same personality and have been off meds about the same length of time. I don't really have any wisdom or advice to share. I just felt like you were describing me and wanted to let you know I can relate.

I know I'm happier when I spend time outside but I often don't want to go outside.

I wonder if more time will heal us more. I think I used to be happier than this. It's hard to remember pre-meds. I was never a bubbly, outgoing person though, except when I took illegal drugs. While on meds I was more irritable than depressed but never really happy.

As far as the guy at work, well first I don't think HR should be collecting or giving out that information. It sounds wrong. But the other thing, if he really is That overly happy, it sounds to me like he's about to crash. Although, I've met people that are just genuinly happy and not in a manic or fake (or drug induced) way and I wish I could be like them.

I really hate when people call you out like that "poker face, and no emotion"?! What's that supposed to mean? What is your response supposed to be? He doesn't sound like a nice guy at all. He sounds like someone who wants attention. I usually get; "you're quiet... are you always quiet"... things like that.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
mustangwoman

Several of the veterans on here have stated that around 4 years they felt 100 percent. Yes, a lot of people are overmedicated, overweight, and have other medical issues due to these drugs. I'm hoping happiness for you!!
07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg.
mustangwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
logan66

hey, thanks for your reply. Well, hr just told him a percentage wise as he was an important person and wanted to find out. That was hr's decision. Just interesting tho. Ya, i know. I can easily tell that he says stuff and even crosses the line when speaking. Lots on sex and this or that as his inhibitions are loosened. U r right tho. There are happy people out there that haven't had damage done to there serotonin. As we know i'm sure, when u take this stuff, you are feeding your brain serotonin, then, your brain says "hey, look at all this serotonin being fed here, i don't need to produce it". Then bam. Now we have taken the drug away and our brain is probably fighting to create it again and its not for a lot of us. The poker face thing. He is a nice guy, he meant no harm. I wonder why i can't show emotion lol Ya, it has to get better. I know i am just quiet and introverted but.....it will get better for us i'm sure.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

How would HR even know who's on medication, or who isn't? That's not even something HR asks, or is legally allowed to ask, unless you're an occupation (airline pilot) that they would have to know.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
logan66

***i didnt wanna get into the hr thing but they knew b/c of the prescriptions and the benefits stuff. what benefits were going to what etc..
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
logan66

wow, i don't want to open a can of worms here guys. it may not have been hr. but he said the benefits lady.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Well, it does open a can of worms because I think he was feeding you a line of BS. No one has any way of knowing that, HR does benefits, so that's where it would have come from. Unless a drug isn't covered would be the only time a person might go to HR and ask about it and that's assuming they wouldn't call the insurance company themselves.

Almost all of these drugs are covered by insurance, so no one would have a reason to speak to HR about what they're taking, unless it wasn't covered, or they weren't sure if it was covered. And even if they did, it surely wouldn't be the percentage he gave you; 65% percent of the people in the company didn't speak to HR about what they were taking. I don't buy that for a second.

The actual insurance company is the only one that would have this information, not the benefits person at your company. I know this because I've worked in HR and with benefits. Statements, like this guy just gave you, are false, misleading, and very disconcerting to people who don't actually work with benefits and don't know how HR and benefits work and therefore, would freak out about their private information being known.

I'm not going after you, but I do believe the guy who passed this on to you, is full of crap and simply justifying his own SSRI use.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Last edited by LCrawford67 : 04-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post

I'm not going after you, but I do believe the guy who passed this on to you, is full of crap and simply justifying his own SSRI use.
Absolutely right! I do HR at my job and I have no idea who uses their benefits and for what.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Charlie

I wouldn't be shocked to find out they had percentage. It should be made available (the number) to cetain people that keep an eye on how benefit money is spent. That doesn't mean they knowing specificly who is and who isn't.

I can't say for sure now but at one time a pilot couldn't get a license if they were on an SSRI.

Knowledge speaks ....... Wisdom listens

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to find out they had percentage. It should be made available (the number) to cetain people that keep an eye on how benefit money is spent.
No, it doesn't work like that and again, the insurance company may track that info, but the company carrying the insurance doesn't.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either. I mean, we get health insurance through our employers and then we use it to go to the doctor, get prescriptions, etc. The employer isn't involved at all except for getting you enrolled and deducting your portion of the cost from your paycheck. The employer would have NO way of knowing what you went to the doctor for or what you were prescribed. That is completely confidential. So I find it very hard to believe what this guy told you (but on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all if 50% of the public actually are on these meds).

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
No, it doesn't work like that and again, the insurance company may track that info, but the company carrying the insurance doesn't.
Edit: Never mind, it's not worth arguing about.

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Brassmonkey

Charlie--Google FAA approved antidepressants, you'll be shocked

1994 started 20mg Paxil,1999 30mg,2005 40mg
2010 pooped out
09/2011 CTed from 15oz vodka a night
09/2011 dropped to 36mg
06/2012 dropped to 19mg (past halfway point)
01/2013 dropped to 11.1mg
03/2013 dropped to 10.0mg
01/2014 dropped to 5.4mg
02/2014 dropped to 4.9mg
03/2014 dropped to 4.4mg

"Find a place inside where there is joy, and that joy will burn out the darkness." Joseph Campbell
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Edit: Never mind, it's not worth arguing about.
No one's arguing, Charlie. But having actually worked in benefits and HR, I really do know what I'm talking about. The passive aggressive comment isn't necessary. As I mentioned in my first post, unless you're in an industry that it's required information (airline pilot) HR and benefits has no way of knowing this information. All HR does is administer the plan and pay the bill each month.

PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Last edited by LCrawford67 : 04-09-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
logan66

ok. i understand what you guys are saying. He probably was trying to justify his own SSRI i use. What also baffled me was he was promoting it to a class room of people that ssri's are ok. It happens tho and will continue and continue to be a problem in the world

I don't like how my original points in my whole 1st post was completely ignored by the other posters other than one kind member. My points were
1. he was soo happy and full of life when i met him, only for me to learn that he was on an SSRI.
2. how i am still struggling after two years of use and three years off.
That was my first post ever, people seemed to care more about the percentage that hr gave him and not the 2 main points of the post.
I am never posting here again.
How is it possible that people care more about a 65 percentile that someone said and if it was correct, then a human being who is the walking shell of what paxil progress is about.
who cares what the percentage is, we know its A LOT.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
sicksaviourX

well, i care and i'm sorry you're struggling so much, i genuinely am... i wish life was easier for you, i know how ****ing hard it is to go through severe anxiety & depression.... and i don't think you should stop posting here. I can relate to what you said a lot, especially about the selfconsciousness, I'm the same way. And in a way I agree, all other avenues should be explored before medication, I believe it should be the very last resort. people shouldnt be promoting meds, they should be promoting how to deal with anxiety depression an mood disorders naturally with a good diet, a regimen of regular exercise, maybe a spiritual or creative outlet, a strong support system etc.... instead of trying to push pills down peoples' throat, saying its the only way they will get better
sicksaviourX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Charlie

Quote:
ok. i understand what you guys are saying. He probably was trying to justify his own SSRI i use. What also baffled me was he was promoting it to a class room of people that ssri's are ok. It happens tho and will continue and continue to be a problem in the world

I don't like how my original points in my whole 1st post was completely ignored by the other posters other than one kind member. My points were
1. he was soo happy and full of life when i met him, only for me to learn that he was on an SSRI.
2. how i am still struggling after two years of use and three years off.
That was my first post ever, people seemed to care more about the percentage that hr gave him and not the 2 main points of the post.
I am never posting here again.
How is it possible that people care more about a 65 percentile that someone said and if it was correct, then a human being who is the walking shell of what paxil progress is about.
who cares what the percentage is, we know its A LOT.

I'm guilty of the 65% and I'm sorry I allowed myself to got drawn into that. I thought you had concern over that as well. A lot of people are "happy" on SSRI's many of which are either manic or hypomanic so the happiness isn't as it may seem.

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
mustangwoman

I am so sorry that you felt minimalized. I know that everyone here wants you to heal and feel happy again. I hate to see what this drug has done to you. I have seen many people turn a corner four years out, especially with the cold turkey withdrawals and really fast withdrawals! My prayer is that happiness will embrace you my friend!
07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg.
mustangwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:

It sounds eerie , like a science fiction movie, sort of like the movie Gattica, but without the "genetics" thing.... but a world that is so warped inside..
In the end, this poor soul will have to pay for this chemical adventure ...

Thanks for sharing

Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #21
scotty
Administrator

When you post something you don't get to choose what people will respond. In the case of the percentage, it's important that everyone, including yourself, know that what was said in that room, by that one person, isn't fact.

I'm not sure what you were looking for from those who post here, but when one makes a statement such as "Why don't we all just drug our selves up and have a fake happiness while the world runs a muck and pulls the wool over our eyes. " it don't see the problem with others posting the illusions that this man was experiencing about his drug use, highlighted by his outright lying.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
jr1985

But the title of your thread "Something very interesting, thought I would share", and then the fact you tod us what that guy said about percentages, makes it seem like that was the main point of your thread. If you had titled it something like "needing encouragement" and just said how he was happy on ssri and you were struggling then people would have picked up on that part more.
Aug/Sept 11: Effexor -> Mirtazapine
Oct: C/T Mirtazapine -> Effexor
Nov/Dec: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell
5/2/12: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg
20/2/12: Updosed 75mg
9/3/12: Dropped 37.5mg
30/4/12: 33.8mg
1/5/12: 37.5mg
4/5/12: 35.6mg
19/6/12: Dropped 2.5%
23/6/12: 35.6mg
29/6/12: 37.5mg