our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
moksha

Chemically castrated

That is how I feel. I have been off Paxil for 3 weeks now. Before that I was on and off Paxil for 10 years, sometimes on 20mg, mostly on 10mg or 5mg:

20th July 2011: Came down from 5mg to 4mg

11th August: 2.5mg

11th September: 2mg

11th December: 1.25mg

7th February 2012: 0.9mg

22nd March: stopped

As you can see, I was on a very low dose previous to stopping, yet my sex drive is just non-existant. I am a very healthy 35 year old man: don't drink, don't smoke, jog every day, live on vegetables and fruit and used to have a high sex drive...but now everything is dead. My penis is totally numb, I barely ejaculate anything, can only get erections manually etc. I just can't believe this has happened. A medicine prescribed for me by a qualified doctor, packaged by a pharmacist and taken on trust has simply destroyed my entire sexual being. It makes me so furious. I just want to kill the bastards who have made a fortune selling this filthy poison..arrgggh . People shudder when they read of the things doctors did in the Middle Ages, but I bet even the worst of them never succeded in shutting down the sex life of healthy young people.

I am trying to stay positive; I know some people have recovered, but I've read so many horror stories of others 5 or 10 years off SSRIs with no sign of recovery. Someone posted a video on PSSD on youtube which I wish I hadn't watched. Underneath are endless posts with thing like "yeah...me too, 6 years off and no sex drive " etc I just don't know what to do. I genuinely don't see any point going on if it means a lonely, sexless future. I know it is too early to say, but over the last 7 months there hasn't been the slightest change- not a glimmer of hope.
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Re: Chemically castrated

But you've only been off Paxil for 3 weeks ... this is much too soon to give up. There are lots of success stories here from guys who have recovered their sexual function, but it generally took months, not weeks. I think you should stay away from sites that have horror stories because it's just going to freak you out and make you feel worse. People absolutely recover from this.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
audrealjade

Yes look up threads by Brunyan. He has completely recovered from that aspect! You will get there!
7.5mg - 1 week
5mg - 1 week
2.5mg - 1 week
Off all medication as of 12/17/2011

My story ends with finding out I have Lyme disease which caused my nervous system and hormones to go haywire. Currently in treatment.
www.sabbaticalsoapbox.com

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror. Just keep going, no feeling is final." - Rilke
audrealjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Bilo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by moksha View Post
but I've read so many horror stories of others 5 or 10 years off SSRIs
Those are horror stories which:
a.) are not to be viewed upon as being true since we odnt know all the facts or the medical history of that person.
b.) paxil is a *****,..but dont forget that there are plenty of people who can stop paxil without much problems. I know of 4 people in my real life who quit paxil after several years of use. And they quit in a few weeks. Never forget that the people on this forum are the "extreme" cases. We react very badly to it.
But there is no reason to think you will be someone whom has probs 4 years after. Stay realistic and therefore optimistic

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
scotty
Administrator

People who don't have problems with paxil, don't make You tube videos. As Bilo pointed out, you have no idea what the reality is with people, or what their history is.

Patience.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
moksha

Thanks everyone. I know you are right. I just feel so damn angry and hopeless sometimes. I would rather have spent the last ten years smoking weed and taking ecstasy tablets. I have no doubt they would have done me less harm. I never dreamed that an anti-depressant could have left me numb from the waist down.
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
NoRx4me

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I know you are right. I just feel so damn angry and hopeless sometimes. I would rather have spent the last ten years smoking weed and taking ecstasy tablets. I have no doubt they would have done me less harm. I never dreamed that an anti-depressant could have left me numb from the waist down.
I have a feeling some of those "horror stories" of people 5-10 years out, may have also used weed or ecstasy and not disclosed that info. I've seen it happen here.

Not saying Paxil doesn't mess people up on it's own, just saying, I think most people heal, if other factors aren't involved. Alcohol can cause issues too.
NoRx4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
mustangwoman

I'm so sorry you are feeling so frustrated moshka! You will get better! Sending you prayers and (((((hugs)))))!
07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg.
mustangwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
markca

Quote:
i was thinking exactly this today too.
28 Sept10 drug free..psych & emot. torture
8 feb12 windows of nrmlty(16 mnths)
28 Sept12 stabilising (24 mnths) (what anightmare)
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
markca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Helen-Kate

Just to throw something else into the mix...............................................and I am by no means saying that it isn't the medication but I knew of a bloke, healthy, no medication, no previous drama's but all of a sudden because he couldn't get an erection once he went into a slight obsession about it which in turn stopped him having an erection for a long time.

The more he focused on it the less he could get it to function.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that maybe the worry of the situation and pure frustration is prolonging the symptom.

Or I could just be talking out of my a**e cause I don't have a penis :-)
Helen-Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
markca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen-Kate View Post
Just to throw something else into the mix...............................................and I am by no means saying that it isn't the medication but I knew of a bloke, healthy, no medication, no previous drama's but all of a sudden because he couldn't get an erection once he went into a slight obsession about it which in turn stopped him having an erection for a long time.

The more he focused on it the less he could get it to function.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that maybe the worry of the situation and pure frustration is prolonging the symptom.

Or I could just be talking out of my a**e cause I don't have a penis :-)
im sorry but you have no idea .!....if only it was that simple.
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
Helen-Kate

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted. Your right I don't know how it feels. Just trying to put a more positive spin on things.

Sorry for any offence caused.
Helen-Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
markca

Your forgiven, ...from one very scared male.....
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
Bilo76

Are your other symptoms better mark?
PSSD isnt that bad is it? I mean compared to the anxiety, dp, depression and all?
Personally i would trade it right away in a heartbeat. No more mental hell in trade for the rest of my life no sex;..in a heartbeat.
Thats not saying that pssd can be very rough for people. But i figured that once you have been through the other hell of WD;..pssd is a breeze.
I havent had sex in 3 years and cant say i miss it. Especially not feeling like this.

Off course not trying to diminish your problems, since i dont know them. Its just my point of view on pssd.

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote