our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
NewbGuy

Laxatives and Progress

Hello, so its been awhile since I posted here, but whenever I have a health annoyance I like to come back and see what others have experienced.

*Gross Warning*
My problem right now is that I'm pseudo constipated. For like the past week, I have had a lot of stomach bloating and while I can poo, its usually only a small amount at a time, and it doesn't feel like I've "gotten it all out." I am considering using a laxative, and wanted to know if anyone had used laxatives to bad effect in withdrawal? I've also noticed that a few times this week my butt has been itchy after I've gone to the bathroom, which is not usual (I've heard this can sometimes be associated with a fungal or yeast issue?)

Anyone have any experience with this (laxatives and constipation in withdrawal)?

Thanks

I'll give a short summary of my progress, because I'm saving a longer explanation for my 1 year off paxil anniversary which will be in May.

Basically I stopped in May 2011 ... felt decentish for 2 months, had a bad crash in July, that was somewhat similar to when i came off cold turkey, then gradually though erractically felt better over the course of the next 10 months.

I've certainly been able to engage in more stressful and strenuous activity than I had previously (10 day trip to europe with probably 40-60 miles of walking total, along with dealing with luggage airports etc etc), all while having moved into a new house, remodeling that house and taking a 12 hour courseload in graduate school. This isn't to say I've felt great the whole time or even a majority of it, but there was a time when this would have been unthinkinable...

Anyway, one of the things I still struggle with is digestion issues.

*Gross Disclaimer Sorry*

At least 70% of the time my Bm's are not healthy looking (realtively solid log-shaped etc.), often they are very soft or runny, but this waxes and wanes in the way alot of symptoms do, its just that its more common than others. For instance I may go two weeks with no digestive problems at all, only to have them crop up for two weeks then go away again.

Also this is not generally annoying or a problem beyond that I have heard that your poo shouldn't be like this.

One of the few supplements that I take is a probiotic, and occasionally I will use low dose magnesium spray (one spray, once or twice a week).

So that's my question and short update.
Wk 6 felt like panic attack dizziness & balance issues.
10mg Reinstate 7Feb09
I tapered from 10mg to 0mg over two years
Paxil Free May 2011

Still struggling but staying positive

NewbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
aberdeen

Re: Laxatives and Progress

When my w/d and anxiety are at a peak i get bright and I mean bright...yellow runny poo. I have only ever had this in w/d! I've had the runs in my life for many reasons, but only in w/d were they bright yellow. Even after i quit the b12 vitamins, which also made my pee bright green/yellow. This yellow was goldenrod yellow and lasted as long as teh anxiety and not a moment longer. This stuff does amazing things to our guts!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Backtopaxil

I assume you have seen a doctor but most likely they will prescribe some meds. I hope this resolves soon. Are you taking any other medication or supplement. I had an issue similar to that and it was one of my supplements.

Try breakfast a mixture of papaya and pineapple and at least a gallon of water per day. The issue is that your colon is absorbing all liquids thus extracts it wherever it can. It also needs fiber to create motility. And yes motility is affected by the CNS. I never had any luck with metamucit and that but you may try that or Miralax.

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
NewbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
When my w/d and anxiety are at a peak i get bright and I mean bright...yellow runny poo. I have only ever had this in w/d! I've had the runs in my life for many reasons, but only in w/d were they bright yellow. Even after i quit the b12 vitamins, which also made my pee bright green/yellow. This yellow was goldenrod yellow and lasted as long as teh anxiety and not a moment longer. This stuff does amazing things to our guts!
Tell me about. Bright yellow? The diversity of reactions to these things never cease to amaze me.
10mg Reinstate 7Feb09
Paxil Free May 2011

Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
NewbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtopaxil View Post
I assume you have seen a doctor but most likely they will prescribe some meds. I hope this resolves soon. Are you taking any other medication or supplement. I had an issue similar to that and it was one of my supplements.

Try breakfast a mixture of papaya and pineapple and at least a gallon of water per day. The issue is that your colon is absorbing all liquids thus extracts it wherever it can. It also needs fiber to create motility. And yes motility is affected by the CNS. I never had any luck with metamucit and that but you may try that or Miralax.
I haven't yet seen a doctor, mostly because I am still pooing a little, once or twice a day, but just really small amounts. Also I'm hesitant to go to the doctor any time a symptom presents because this happens quite frequently where for a week or so a symptom will crop up... I'll be concerned consider going to the doctor, and then the symptom will vanish. Though I will prolly schedule an appointment next week if it persists.

The only other supplement that I take is a superfood supplement, similar to a greens supplement. It could be that but it seems unlikely since it is just freeze-dried fruits and vegetables made into a powder. Though I hvaen't taken this the past two days.

Thanks for your replies
10mg Reinstate 7Feb09
Paxil Free May 2011

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
medsrnot4me

A magnesium supplement might help - it is usually good for constipation-related issues. One brand that was recommended to me in the past is Calms - it comes in a powder form and you make it into a drink.

Michele
tapered Klonopin
6/09 Start tapering 100 mg Zoloft
11/13/10 33 mg - updose 54 mg; 5% cuts: 2/12 37.5 - stressful time, lots of withdrawal sx - waited out for 2+ months but kept getting worse. ?poopout? Tried updosing but made things worse. 7/12 - 1/13 switched Zoloft to Celexa. Now 35 mg Celexa and 1 mg Klonopin
medsrnot4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Occasional constipation isn't abnormal for anyone and really, if you're still going once or twice a day, you're not constipated. I go 2-3 days without going sometimes.

Also, who's to say what poop is suppose to look like, exactly? Honestly, who comes up with these things?? Don't get caught up in that kind of nonsense. As for the itchiness, that's probably a hemorrhoid.

If a doctor were to diagnose it, he/she would tell you it's probably IBS and it's something that flares up every now and then. I have it, so I know Keep with the probiotic, drink lots of water, eat yogurt, etc., etc.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
babs
"dare to suck big!"

I highly recommend magnesium. I take 300mg a day and am so regular sometimes I can't get to the bathroom fast enough.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote