our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
niknash

Allergies during withdrawal/head symptoms

Last week I started getting horrible head/sinus pressure and headaches like I have a head cold but they would go away during the day so I knew it wasn't a cold. I took advil for it. Now the past few days during the night and in the morning I wake up with a stuffy in my nose and my ears feel really clogged like I can't hear out of them and they are filled with fluid. I know allergies are bad this time of year. Would Claritin or another allergy med be ok to try? I know people tend to be sensitive to meds (I have been) in withdrawal and am scared. It's just that I really can't take anymore pain in my head as that is a very big area of where my symptoms are.

Before I tried to reinstate I had a heavy feeling in my head. Then after I had the adverse reaction when I tried to reinstate I have been dealing with so many types of pain in my head.

- brain feeling like it is being squeezed (not a vice headache)
- Concrete feeling where my head feels filled
- Tightness of/around my brain - like my brain is too big?
- burning in various degrees (sometimes in conjunction with other head feeilngs) It is like my brain is on fire. It is deep within, not on the surface of my head. Varies in intensity from extreme burning where I need to put anything cold to help (even though the burn is deep within, a cold washcloth or frozen vegetables lessen the severity).
-Pressure or tight feeling moves to various parts of my head, top/sides.

Many more I cannot remember right now. They are not just weird or odd feelings or sensations but very extreme and painful at times.

I know I am a very extreme case and there was a post a long time ago about this but was wondering if anyone else have experienced these.

Put on 10 mg Lexapro Aug 07- Aug 2011
Aug 2011 - 10mg every other day for 2 weeks, every 2 days, every 3, then 1/2 every other, every 2, every 3). Weaned over 1.5 months.
Took 5 mg for 2 days Dec 11 & 12, had bad reaction
niknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Chrissy

Re: Allergies during withdrawal/head symptoms

Hi Niknash, during my experience I have been plagued by these symptoms, the intense head/ear pressure was one of my worst physical symptoms, also the blocked feeling in the ears was present with me as well. My head felt very heavy, like lead, and was torturous to deal with. Thankfully, after 21 months, the immense pressure in my head and ears disappeared. The blocked feeling is still there, which has given me a diagnosis of hearing loss, but hopefully it is not permanent like the audiologist has told me. I am hoping this too will disappear and I can hear normally again.

I was wondering if you have hearing loss/sensory hearing loss, as I also have this, no sound I hear displays a reaction, whether it be a loud, sudden noise or music?

Do you have numbness with your head symptoms, my scalp feels numb and has done since quitting, and it is hard to describe how things can be so extremely uncomfortable if it feels numb at the same time, but it does.

Cold Turkey April 2010 (Doc's Advice)
Severe Adverse Reaction going C/T

Originally suffered horrendous physical, psychological effects. Too many to list.

Still suffering no emotions whatsoever, (good or bad), taste, smell, hearing, touch disturbances, pssd, numbness, inability to feel tired, hungry or thirsty, memory, concentration issues, blocked ears and more.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
niknash

Chrissy,

I have tons of head symptoms..I don't have numbness in my head but had some in my cheekbones and nose. That started when I tried to reinstate. I have a burning (which ranges from intense to less severe) that is inside like my brain is burning. Plus various head pressure/tightening feeling/wormy/ nails on chalkboard feeling/ screwdrivers going to my brain/ brain being massaged or kneaded...these all come and go at various times...praying that they will eventually dissepate.

Put on 10 mg Lexapro Aug 07- Aug 2011
Aug 2011 - 10mg every other day for 2 weeks, every 2 days, every 3, then 1/2 every other, every 2, every 3). Weaned over 1.5 months.
Took 5 mg for 2 days Dec 11 & 12, had bad reaction
niknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Chrissy

I can relate to the suffering you are describing completely, these symptoms of withdrawal were for me much much worse than any depression I experienced pre meds. I do hope your situation improves soon, it is so hard to continue with life as normal when you're in such agony. But, there is light at the end where this level of suffering is concerned, my own extreme physical state did not improve noticeably, but more by a microscopic amount, where I hardly noticed the improvement until I looked back and compared myself to the year previously. It does improve, eventually.

I found lots of baths/steam helped take my mind off it for a while, whilst maybe dampening down the extreme pain/discomfort of it. A hot water bottle may be an idea too, did this also. There is nothing else I can suggest to alleviate these symptoms but time.

Take care for now.

Cold Turkey April 2010 (Doc's Advice)
Severe Adverse Reaction going C/T

Originally suffered horrendous physical, psychological effects. Too many to list.

Still suffering no emotions whatsoever, (good or bad), taste, smell, hearing, touch disturbances, pssd, numbness, inability to feel tired, hungry or thirsty, memory, concentration issues, blocked ears and more.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
irishgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I can relate to the suffering you are describing completely, these symptoms of withdrawal were for me much much worse than any depression I experienced pre meds. I do hope your situation improves soon, it is so hard to continue with life as normal when you're in such agony. But, there is light at the end where this level of suffering is concerned, my own extreme physical state did not improve noticeably, but more by a microscopic amount, where I hardly noticed the improvement until I looked back and compared myself to the year previously. It does improve, eventually.

I found lots of baths/steam helped take my mind off it for a while, whilst maybe dampening down the extreme pain/discomfort of it. A hot water bottle may be an idea too, did this also. There is nothing else I can suggest to alleviate these symptoms but time.

Take care for now.
Are either of you still feeling these symptoms. I have it the worst right now, to the point where it is driving me nuts!!!!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
kshuf

This is my main problem also!! Crazy head pressure and tingling in face, fullness in ear. Stays in the left side but moves around from temple to top if head and behind left ear. Sometimes it feels like there is a little. Tunnel of weird sensation running through the left side of my head. Weird i know

10mg Sept 2011- April 2012
5mg for a week or two
2.5 mg for a week or two
2.5mg every other day for a week or two...
May 2012, No meds

W/D started early July..didnt realize what was happeneing until November!!! Still in the "thick of it"

kshuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Anna_Anna

In my case during tapering and WD had the same problems as niknash says. It's kind of paxil flu (I had swelling and redness of ear tunnel) and I'm still dragging pain sinusoidal (less intense after one year off paxil). Anna.
2mg-----> 1mg (2 weeks)
OFF paroxetina!!!!!
Anna_Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
NowhereMan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknash View Post
Would Claritin or another allergy med be ok to try? I know people tend to be sensitive to meds (I have been) in withdrawal and am scared. It's just that I really can't take anymore pain in my head as that is a very big area of where my symptoms are.
Did anyone have an opinion on whether Claritin would be OK?

Started in June 2004 - Lexapro 10MG
Off and on from 2004 to 2008 - Lexapro 10MG
October 2008 - Lexapro 10MG
Late April 2012 - Lexapro 5MG
Late August 2012 - Cold Turkey

W/D Status
1M-4M | 5M-8M | 9M-12M | 12M-17M

NowhereMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
scotty
Administrator

Ryan took claritin with no problem at all.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Brassmonkey

I hate allergy season. Claritin maked me psycho the times I have tried it, but I have no trouble with benadryl.

1994 started 20mg Paxil,1999 30mg,2005 40mg
2010 pooped out
09/2011 CTed from 15oz vodka a night
09/2011 dropped to 36mg
06/2012 dropped to 19mg (past halfway point)
01/2013 dropped to 11.1mg
03/2013 dropped to 10.0mg
01/2014 dropped to 5.4mg
02/2014 dropped to 4.9mg
03/2014 dropped to 4.4mg

"Find a place inside where there is joy, and that joy will burn out the darkness." Joseph Campbell
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
NowhereMan76

I've never had any issues with Claritin... until today. But it wasn't all that bad, I just felt like I was really amped up. First time for everything I guess. But I am surviving and it has certainly gotten rid of my post nasal drip.

Started in June 2004 - Lexapro 10MG
Off and on from 2004 to 2008 - Lexapro 10MG
October 2008 - Lexapro 10MG
Late April 2012 - Lexapro 5MG
Late August 2012 - Cold Turkey

W/D Status
1M-4M | 5M-8M | 9M-12M | 12M-17M

NowhereMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
irishgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan76 View Post
I've never had any issues with Claritin... until today. But it wasn't all that bad, I just felt like I was really amped up. First time for everything I guess. But I am surviving and it has certainly gotten rid of my post nasal drip.
I take zyrtec and have been ok. I also take flunase which seems to help.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote