our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
amor1987

Having a hard time at the moment, weaning off paxil...

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in this forum for a very long time. Well I am having a very hard time at the moment, I am a bundle of nerves and anxiety. This might be a long post so bear with me....

I started taking paxil (paroxetine) about 5 years ago to treat depression and anxiety. I initially started on lexapro (cipralex) which I took for more or less a year but my mood started to drop. My psychiatrist decided to switch my meds to paxil. Switching from one med to another was no trouble at all, however I started experiencing intrusive and inappropriate thoughts such as violent and sexual thoughts of my loved ones. This upset me greatly and I didn't have a clue as to what was going on in my head. I had suffered this for a while and tried to get on with life as best as I could. The thoughts aren't as debilitating as they are now.

For about 3 or 4 years ago my life was pretty much normal, I had a job and was studying at the same time but enjoyed being busy. My doctor and I decided to wean off the med gradually. I started off on 30mg of paxil and began taking 20mg, doing this I had no significant side effects. I did this for a few months and my doctor wanted to see me again and reduce my meds down to 10mg. I agreed with this. I took 10mg daily for a few months and I began noticing some side effects, my speech and thinking became slower and I had a little anxiety. November of last year, everything started to change drastically! During the night I had a huge panic attack, I thought I was going to die! I couldn't stop crying, I felt nauseous, pins and needles and felt I was going crazy. These symptoms lasted for a week or so. I was so scared to go out, I couldn't stop worrying about my studies and my job for no reason. Every time I thought about it I would start crying. I went back to my doctor and he decided to up the dose to 20mg and prescribe me 2mg of diazepam. I refused to take the diazepam as I feared I may get dependent on them. I was already trying to wean off one drug I didn't want to become reliant on another.

The beginning of this year was okay I guess but didn't have huge panic attacks like before just mild anxiety from time to time. Since February, I started experiencing intrusive and inappropriate sexual thoughts. These usually consist of me harming either myself or my family. And this is the same case with the sexual thoughts. Ever since then these thoughts are getting stronger and stronger and they don't seem to shift. I can't relax, I am tense at almost every minute of the day. I'm getting headaches because of the tension. I feel like I'm going crazy, like I will act on these thoughts. But I don't think I will. I'm so scared, I don't know what to do, I feel like my doctor won't understand me, he will think I'm just suffering from stress. The cycle is never ending and it is making me depressed. I haven't told anyone about it because they will never understand. I'm not sure if its either me or the paxil....
Seroxat 20mg (paroxetine) - Jan 2010 - July 2010
Seroxat 10mg (paroxetine) - July 2010 - March 2011
Seroxat 20mg (paroxtine) - March 2011 - Aug 2011
Seroxat 10mg (paroxetine) - Aug 2011 - Nov 2011
Seroxat 20mg (paroxetine) - Nov 2011 - Present

amor1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
julieannboo

Re: Having a hard time at the moment, weaning off paxil...

Another person from the uk. Welcome!

If you want to get off of seroxat the only way is 10% drops every 3-6 weeks.
You dropped 10mg that is way too much. docs are clueless they think that you can get off of this junk in a month or two.

It is seroxat why you feel rubbish. It is a evil drug.

Stick around. this website saved my life. Doing a slow wean is the only way.
If you want to taper use liquid as it is a big help to measure the dosage.
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
caperjackie

Hi Amor - sorry things are so hard for you right now. Just so you know that you are not the only one - I have had the most appalling intrusive thoughts. They are often violent and extremely graphic and not representative of the (normally) gentle, violence abhoring person that I am naturally. These are a lot fewer now and easily dismissed so try not to read anything into them - the worry over that alone will increase your anxiety. As long as you are not making plans on how to execute these thoughts, they are just thoughts and cannot hurt you. VERY smart move not to take the diazepam - good for you.
2 failed attempts at cold turkey
Tapered for over a year by skipping one dose per week each month
Paxil free since April 14th 2011
Still having withdrawal symptoms but getting better
LIFE IS GOOD TOTALLY DRUG FREE
Supplements - Fish oils, Cal/mag, GABA
September 2012 - Supplement free and feeling great
caperjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
aberdeen

Welcome and try not to worry, you are probably feeling some crazy effects from changing your dose around. I have read a lot of things about people having bizarre thinking and finding out it went away when they got off these meds (slowly). Hang in there!

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
spicedj

I haven't posted here before. Your post makes me want to cry as I am feeling many of the same symptoms. I am seeing my naturopath every 2 - 3 days for acupuncture and everytime I do my day after is always better, perhaps it could be good for you too.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
mustangwoman

I get violent thoughts when my dose changes up or down quickly. Never had them before meds It is horrible. Prayers!!!
07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg.
mustangwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
shannon2012

It is truly a horrible thing. I am so sorry that you are experiencing such thoughts. I weaned from paxil and had similar thoughts and I had only been taking paxil for six weeks!

Keep weaning. It will pass. You will one day be yourself again. I know it isn't much help to you but I am thinking of you.
shannon2012 is offline   Reply With Quote