our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
sid82

Psychotherapy is useless

All,

I think therapy is pure bs,they talk the same stuff what everyone else says personally or on the net...

its no different..waste of money...

I think the answer to all is on the top
'Freedom is in You'.
Lamictal May 2011- 4 weeks titrating from 25mg to 50 mg.-CT after sleeping for 17 hrs a day.
Pristiq-Since Aug 2011
works perfect-except vivid dreams and zero motivation.
want to be med free desperately.depression due to stupidity (cyberchondria) no issues in life.
sid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
cipher0413

Re: Psychotherapy is useless

I think,, if you find the "right" therapist... it could be different. If you feel that the therapist is telling you all the things that you could be thinking already by yourself, or all the things other people are saying, that therapist, ain't helpful for you, and it's a sign that the therapist isn't the "right" one, since he/she isn't above your head.. as in, not smarter than you. I think, if you find a therapist who is smarter than yourself and all others around you, that's the one, who can help you get through things little by little.. so don't give up, until you find that person..! Gotta have patience. For sure. And money..
December 2011 Realized all the bad symptoms were due to withdrawal, found PP and Drugs.com
April 2012 Better than I am 1 year ago but with no emotions and lingering symptoms
October 2012 A small but definite shift experienced, still progressing

Summary Was on Lexapro for 14 months, Cold-turkeyed, Now Month 22 since last dose.
cipher0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
julieannboo

if psychotherapy is useless then brain chemically changing drugs are even more useless!
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
cipher0413

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieannboo View Post
if psychotherapy is useless then brain chemically changing drugs are even more useless!
True! But it just takes more time and effort, money and patience to find the right therapist... That's just the hard part.. Also I realise, although I am one of those who need to talk things out and analyze and solve and understand things, some others, don't work the same way... So can't say therapy is better than meds for them too... But even still, would recommend therapy over meds, esp after being in this WD hell.
December 2011 Realized all the bad symptoms were due to withdrawal, found PP and Drugs.com
April 2012 Better than I am 1 year ago but with no emotions and lingering symptoms

Summary Was on Lexapro for 14 months, Cold-turkeyed, Now Month 22 since last dose.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
PaxilDream

I think with the right theropist it is great. The problem is sometimes two fold. The theropist may just be not that great or not a good fit for you and you also have to realise that theropy is give and take. You have to work with them as much as they have to work with you.

If your hoping theropy will help in withdrawal I don't see that happening personally. But sometimes they just bring up topics that get your blood flowing to help you deal and manage those events. Not that past events necessarliy caused your problems but they are good book marks to pick up on and teach you coping skills based on an experience you have already been hurt by. Then you can use those same coping skills for future events.
PaxilDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Therapy was useful for me in withdrawal in the sense that I needed someone to vent to, a shoulder to cry on, someone to tell me I would be okay. She could not do anything about the withdrawal, though. Just the panicky thoughts that went along with it. And to point out the cognitive distortions I was having on a regular basis.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
PaxilDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Therapy was useful for me in withdrawal in the sense that I needed someone to vent to, a shoulder to cry on, someone to tell me I would be okay. She could not do anything about the withdrawal, though. Just the panicky thoughts that went along with it. And to point out the cognitive distortions I was having on a regular basis.
Sounds like you had a godo theropist. Just a good ear that will listen is so helpful and I think we all find that hard to find in this journey.

I will be soon to start theropy myself.
PaxilDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Bilo76

Psychotherapy is just as useless as tennislessons, or pianolessons.
If i wanna play the piano it has to come from inside me indeed. But i need somebody who can guide me and give me a start. Somethigns you cant learn on your own

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
eileen

I find therapy very helpful. It is important to have the right therapist however. It's more or less sitting down and talking things over with a helpful person who can help you understand yourself.
I will survive!
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
cipher0413

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
I find therapy very helpful. It is important to have the right therapist however. It's more or less sitting down and talking things over with a helpful person who can help you understand yourself.
Eileen! That might be the best definition of a therapist. A helpful person who can help you understand YOURSELF. Wow. Eye opener. to me at least It's not just about someone to encourage, soothe you calm you, baby you, but helping YOU understand YOURSELF...!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
enufodat

It's awfully variable, because there are so many varieties and styles of therapy itself, because, as others have said, it depends greatly on what you bring to it and are able to put into it, and because, well, in my opinion, there are an awful lot of therapists out there that range from lousy to mediocre. Then there's also the fact that so many therapists are in line with the biochemical paradigm that got us on these drugs in the first place. But not all of them are.

Having said all that, I think the really good ones are worth their weight in gold, especially if you're really ready to invest yourself in it. The good ones do more than just listen and offer kind support. They have a deep compassionate sensibility that helps establish a trusting relationship--and that relationship (not just...listening....or advice...) is at the heart of it. And there really is something to the education behind it, especially if they're not overly influenced by the biochem paradigm. A really good therapist should have, from their training and experience, insights and be able to help you find and see those insights as part of a collaborative process, i.e. not just "telling" you or lecturing.

So anyway, I do agree it's problematic--in fact, I think the profession as a whole is not very good--but I also think it's worth searching for someone really good if you are interested in taking this route. I've had several over the years, a few of them somewhat helpful, but have for the past few years been working with someone really remarkable. He has a combination of intellectual brilliance (but low key) and exceptional compassion, and while technicaly an "analyst" is very knowledgeable and open to alternatives--meditation, spirituality, mythic themes.

Oh, I also should say that I think cognitive therapy, and especially mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, can be pretty effective for depression. And they're short-term, basically help you train our mind to think in different patterns that don't trigger depression.
1/'10-6/'10 50 mg zoloft
6/'10-1/'11 slow taper
2/'11-7/'11 off entirely, ok for 2-3 mos., then rough
7/'11-9/'11 50 mg
9/15/'11 - 11/15/'11 taper off
11/15/'11 to 2/'12, doing well but with some PSSD
2/12 - 7/12, depression gradually returning, fairly bad by June, but with other things at play (dying parent), so who knows the exact cause.
enufodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Massive

Therapy was very useful for me. Although in withdrawal or bad reactions it isn't going to stop it.

November 2009 - Stopped st johns wort, started Paxil same day. Complete meltdown, no sleep for 2 weeks, extreme muscle pain, akathesia/anxiety 24/7. Lost everything, back on paxil and in work 3 months later.

Mar 11 - 20
Aug 11 - 12.5
Dec 11 - 10
Mar 12 - 7.5
June 12 - 5
Sept 12 - 2.5
Oct 12 - 1.85
Oct/Nov 12 - 1.25 major crash
Dec - updose 2.5 akathesia gone, extreme anxiety still.
Massive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
SoCalStarter

Just my 2 cents-I've had good therapists and bad therapists.

Even the bad ones I got something out of it.

Although I think one could accomplish almost the same thing, if surrounded by good, and sympathetic, friends.

I need to go back, come think of it.
SoCalStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Junior

You have to remember that therapists are not trained in anti-depressant withdrawal. You also have to ask yourself what exactly you want from therapy. If you want something that will totally change you and your life, you are barking up the wrong tree. A therapist doesn't have a magic wand. If you want someone who will listen, and gradually help you - as Cipher said - to understand YOURSELF, then therapy can help a great deal. A fully trained psychotherapist can also help you to change for the better - as long as YOU are willing to do the work.

Having done 4 years of training myself, I can tell you that there is a LOT of theory behind the therapist. And each therapist will have their own theoretical preference. The therapist also learns counselling / therapeutic skills. What the training CAN'T do, however, is give the therapist the ability to relate well to PEOPLE. That is an individual thing.

Additionally, studies have shown that the most important thing in a successful outcome, is the RELATIONSHIP between the therapist and his /her client. Therefore, if you don't like the therapist you are seeing, find someone else. And keep looking until you find someone with whom you feel comfortable.

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2009 23 Sept - 40mg; 12 Dec -30mg;
2010 Up and down - 25mg-30mg; 17 Dec-26mg
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
You have to remember that therapists are not trained in anti-depressant withdrawal. You also have to ask yourself what exactly you want from therapy.
SO TRUE! I think many go into therapy after ssri's thinking that the therapy will make the withdrawal easier, and that just doesn't happen. The therapy is to find alternative techniques to learn to live with what started the ssri use.

Ryan's psychologist was awesome admitting he had no idea about withdrawal. But he did work on the tools for the anxiety that started all of this.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
SO TRUE! I think many go into therapy after ssri's thinking that the therapy will make the withdrawal easier, and that just doesn't happen. The therapy is to find alternative techniques to learn to live with what started the ssri use.

Ryan's psychologist was awesome admitting he had no idea about withdrawal. But he did work on the tools for the anxiety that started all of this.
Scotty - that's good advice. I've been in therapy since I was tapering and I agree, they cannot help with wd AT ALL, which is why when in the thick of it, therapy can seem very discouraging because everything you learn, you try to apply it and it doesn't seem to help at all, but on the better days it definately helps to deal with our original issues. Its a catch 22 for me. Oh hell, this whole ordeal is tiring!! LoL
- 2009 - 20-0 mg paxil in 5 mnths(with prozac)
- 2009 (Dec): reinstated after 4 mnths off (crash)
- 2009 Dec -2010 Nov: Paxil 20mg
- 2010 Nov: switched to Zoloft 50mg (Paxil poop)
- 2011 Mar: tapered Zoloft (5.5 mnths)
- March: 37.5mg for 2 weeks
- April: 25 mg for 2 weeks
- April: 12.5mg for 18 weeks
AD free since Sept 4th, 2011
- Feb - March 2012: Crashed
- May 2012 - Finally seeing SOME real windows
lmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #17
cipher0413

yeah.. the whole ordeal is really tiring.

Anyone like Lord of the rings movie? (I used to love it so much. Used to..) Remember how in the end, Frodo after done with the journey, he actually hops on the ship and goes somewhere (maybe paradise?) with Gandalf? ...

I feel like that. The journey, the whole ordeal, has taken too much a toll and, sometimes it feels like even if I do get better and recover from here, there will always be some part inside me thinking that I don't belong here anymore with other people, at least not perfectly, and that I should prob go rest forever. Frodo, although he accomplished his goal, was changed forever, and prob knew that he couldn't really fit back into the previous world, as his previous self... I told my 70 year old grandma recently (used to love her so much. too much. used to.) that 'grandma, i feel like i have less life in me than you might have. i feel like it's time for me to go.. i have no more life left in me, no more fight left..'

Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
bflosenrab

I find therapy to be more helpful than any drugs ever invented, and it should be pushed by MD's as the best treatment rather than writing out an rx. Therapy has been a lifeline for me, and it's what has helped me to keep going.
bflosenrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Timinjapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher0413 View Post
yeah.. the whole ordeal is really tiring.

Anyone like Lord of the rings movie? (I used to love it so much. Used to..) Remember how in the end, Frodo after done with the journey, he actually hops on the ship and goes somewhere (maybe paradise?) with Gandalf? ...

I feel like that. The journey, the whole ordeal, has taken too much a toll and, sometimes it feels like even if I do get better and recover from here, there will always be some part inside me thinking that I don't belong here anymore with other people, at least not perfectly, and that I should prob go rest forever. Frodo, although he accomplished his goal, was changed forever, and prob knew that he couldn't really fit back into the previous world, as his previous self... I told my 70 year old grandma recently (used to love her so much. too much. used to.) that 'grandma, i feel like i have less life in me than you might have. i feel like it's time for me to go.. i have no more life left in me, no more fight left..'
Dear Cipher, that's so sad, but I think I understand very well what you mean. I've lost about three-quarters of my previous joy of life, ambition, and general interest in living over the past year and a bit, and I'm carrying on regardless, trying to take it easy, taking care not to get too hopeful or too despairing, and remembering mantras like Time will tell, Let it be, and the one I read on this site yesterday - It's no big deal.

JRR Tolkien had more than his fair share of troubles, and writing must have served as a form a therapy for him. He lost his father at 3 and his mother at 12, and all but one of his close friends were killed in WWI, while he was invalided out the trenches and survived. There were no SSRIs back in 1918, or the world may never have had Lord of the Rings.

Started Valium 2mg in Feb. 2012. Began reducing dosage in May 2012. Took final dose on 26 June 2013. Now fully recovered.... sort of!

"While I might trust the doctor to remove a splinter or lance a boil, I do not believe he has the knowledge to restore a brain." - Spock
Timinjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
markca

Personally, just having someone to listen and be sympathetic and encourageing is all you need ...while going through withdrawal nothing can be done to stop wdl pain...so all you need is an empathetic ear, someone normalizing the situation and also some unconditional positive regard.....unfortunatley therapists are very expensive ...i reckon all you need to do if you dont have a family member or friend just employ a student to listen with positive regard...perhaps some counselling student ...damn site cheaper and will be as good as a professional therapist...and may even be better.! Just another of my krazy, kiwi ideas.!
28 Sept10 drug free..psych & emot. torture
8 feb12 windows of nrmlty(16 mnths)
28 Sept12 stabilising (24 mnths) (what anightmare)
2013;If I was enmy cmbtnt and nz army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!
markca is offline   Reply With Quote