our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
jmartinez316

Inner Restlessness?

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to post a question as I'm not sure how to describe my current emotional state of being. I'm 9 months post last SNRI and I'm merely existing just like many of you. The worst symptom apart from the crushing depression that comes and goes and numerous other physical/neurological issues is the inner tension I feel almost 24/7. My entire body is so tense that I can never feel relaxed or comfortable and constantly feel the need to move. It's so bad that I find my body naturally wants to curl my toes and cross my feet. I was curious does this sound like what any of you experience? It's so uncomfortable. I have had anxiety before but nothing like this.

Thanks!
Joe
2010 - Quick Taper off Effexor
2011 - Tried Paxil, Effexor, Cymbalta, Remeron & Lexapro, Numerous Anti-convulsants and Benzos
Klonopin Free - 2/5/2012

Phil 4:13 "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."
jmartinez316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
miriza

Re: Inner Restlessness?

Joe, sounds like akathisia to me. It's horrible!
Imipramine:
37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!
5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)
Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.
Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience.
miriza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
aberdeen

Yes akasthesia (sp?) I would wake up with it so bad I would stretch my fingers out and flatten my hand against the sloped ceiling above my bed, it was that stucco prickly stuff, and I'd press my hands and feet against it until it hurt because it helped. I kept sliding my feet around in the sheets and eventually jump right out of bed and walk back and forth on the cold kitchen floor (it was winter and really cold, which helped). It was awful! It didn't last all day, but it came every morning at around 4am when the anxiety hit. It last a few months but I haven't had it at all since. That was almost a year ago.

2005-2010 Effexor XR 112.5mg-262.5mg for PPD
June-Dec 2010 Poop-out (crash)
3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Oct'11 to Nov '12 20mg-10mg
March'13 to Feb'14 9mg -4mg
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
jmartinez316

Anybody here so bad that they just can't sit still anymore? It seriously sucks because I used to love watching TV or working on projects and now I can't relax or sit still enough. This has been a nightmare!!!!
2011 - Tried Paxil, Effexor, Cymbalta, Remeron & Lexapro, Numerous Anti-convulsants and Benzos
Klonopin Free - 2/5/2012

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez316 View Post
Anybody here so bad that they just can't sit still anymore? It seriously sucks because I used to love watching TV or working on projects and now I can't relax or sit still enough. This has been a nightmare!!!!
Absolutely, horrible horrible feeling. I was so blessed in the sense that it left around noon and was much more mild and evenings and nights were even better, almost gone. But it would wake me up again at 4 or 5am. Fast walking felt sooo good, but one can't walk constantly. A tradmill in front of the tv would be handy, I used to think about how that would have been helpful.
It will pass, it did for me, I don't ever have it at all anymore.

3 month cross taper off Effexor onto 40mg Cipralex, switched to 20mg Celexa, switched to 20mg Paxil
Nothing helped except waiting 7 months to stabilize on Paxil then starting to taper:
Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
jmartinez316

Thanks Aberdeen. I seriously feel like I could walk all day everyday but like you said we can do that It blows me away how much these drugs confuse our CNS. My whole body is so confused and everyday feels like eternity. I pray every night for healing of everyone here. Time and prayer is what will heal. I used to be so happy and full of life. I don't even know who I am anymore.
Klonopin Free - 2/5/2012

Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
lmac

Jmartinez - r u off ALL meds completey? Is klonpin a benzo? I wonder if you're still experiencing this really bad so far out if its the wd from the benzo whish has only been a couple of mnths.
My akathisia has settled a lot and I'm 8 mnths off all meds. It comes back from time to time but not as severe. I always found my hands naturally were making a fist all the time and my legs were very restless too.
- 2009 - 20-0 mg paxil in 5 mnths(with prozac)
- 2009 (Dec): reinstated after 4 mnths off (crash)
- 2009 Dec -2010 Nov: Paxil 20mg
- 2010 Nov: switched to Zoloft 50mg (Paxil poop)
- 2011 Mar: tapered Zoloft (5.5 mnths)
- March: 37.5mg for 2 weeks
- April: 25 mg for 2 weeks
- April: 12.5mg for 18 weeks
AD free since Sept 4th, 2011
- Feb - March 2012: Crashed
- May 2012 - Finally seeing SOME real windows
lmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
jmartinez316

It could be anything so I'm just giving it time. My brain is so fried and I have no idea what's going on anymore. My depression will go from lingering to crushing in an instant and my tension is always there. I have an ungodly amount of anxiety due to the pain that is caused when I speak. This is what the medications did to my brain. I was not anxious or depressed when on the Effexor, just started to experience neurological problems that is all related to my neurotransmitters messed up. I don't know what to do except eat, pray and do my best to cope. I have an extremely long road ahead of me because of the facial pain and depression this has caused but it has gotten better. It fluctuates as does my pain so I just have to hold on which is ridiculous! My sleep patterns are all over the place. I have had my receptors turn back on after taking supplements from an Applied Kinesologist prescribed me but only for 6 hours and then everything came right back. All my neurological issues and emotional issues completely disappeared. I have been traumatized and I hope one day things will settle down enough that I'll be able to work on my emotional. The best I can do is just let it be and hope for the best. I'm down almost 35 pounds to skin and bone and it's scary.
Klonopin Free - 2/5/2012

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
pkj

I've done the skin and bone thing. It is very scary!

This is what helped me when I had no appetite whatsoever. Maybe it'll work for you too: Get some strawberries. Cut some thin slices of cheese, or get a slice of ham or other meat. Eat one strawberry ( or a half if that's all you can manage) then a little slice of cheese or bit of ham on a fork, then more strawberry. For the longest time I could only eat tiny amounts like this. For some reason the strawberries helped me push other things down. I was eating strawberries with everything for a while. Slowly but surely my appetite returned. I was down to 97lbs but now up to 110Lbs.

Being unable to eat is the pits. Unable to eat + akathesia is the absolute pits! Many of us have been there and know what you are going through.

Every new day is another day closer to getting better.

Thinking of you,

Polly

June 4, started liquid paxil 9.5mg
June 22 8.8
July 15, 8.6
July 19, 8.4
August 8, 8.2
August 28, 8.0
September 7.5
Oct. 1, 7.2mg : Migrains
Oct.21, 6.4mg
Nov.18, 6.0mg
Dec. 14, 5.6 mg
Jan. 5.2 mg
Feb, 3, 4.8:
Mar, 4.4
Apr.4.2 - 3.4
May 3.0 -2.8

Sept,1,2012 Paxil FREEEEEEE!
pkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
aberdeen

Have you tried Boost or Ensure? I survived on that for ahwile.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
lmac

Quote:
It could be anything so I'm just giving it time. My brain is so fried and I have no idea what's going on anymore. My depression will go from lingering to crushing in an instant and my tension is always there. I have an ungodly amount of anxiety due to the pain that is caused when I speak. This is what the medications did to my brain. I was not anxious or depressed when on the Effexor, just started to experience neurological problems that is all related to my neurotransmitters messed up. I don't know what to do except eat, pray and do my best to cope. I have an extremely long road ahead of me because of the facial pain and depression this has caused but it has gotten better. It fluctuates as does my pain so I just have to hold on which is ridiculous! My sleep patterns are all over the place. I have had my receptors turn back on after taking supplements from an Applied Kinesologist prescribed me but only for 6 hours and then everything came right back. All my neurological issues and emotional issues completely disappeared. I have been traumatized and I hope one day things will settle down enough that I'll be able to work on my emotional. The best I can do is just let it be and hope for the best. I'm down almost 35 pounds to skin and bone and it's scary.
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. We've all been through it (go back and ready my posts). Its comforting to know we are not alone. I also lost a quick 25 lbs when I was in the thick of it. The upside for me is the weight loss was a bonus for me since I gained soooo much being on the meds for 13 yrs. Just keep on eating and praying!! It WILL get better.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
jmartinez316

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the advice. This illness has like many of us instilled irrational fears that we never had. I'm working on them but it's going to take time. An applied kinesiologist I saw said that I developed anxiety and depression as a result of the dairy I was eating and another doctor said that gluten is probably a huge contributor. I'm not ever going to deny that foods can cause imbalances in our body but I'm just not sure how much. I could understand how sugars can cause issues, and caffeine, but if I'm dairy, gluten, sugar and caffeine free yet still feel this awful, I got believe it's not the issue. I'm still going to eat good and avoid fast food but because of all the weight loss and lack of options I need to bring something else back in. I just don't have an appetite so I may try the strawberry thing. I hope you all feeling better these days. I was running about 60% tonight so that is huge. My moods can change so quick it's annoying. This is the meds because I was never like this before in my life.
Klonopin Free - 2/5/2012

Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
aberdeen

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the advice. This illness has like many of us instilled irrational fears that we never had. I'm working on them but it's going to take time. An applied kinesiologist I saw said that I developed anxiety and depression as a result of the dairy I was eating and another doctor said that gluten is probably a huge contributor. I'm not ever going to deny that foods can cause imbalances in our body but I'm just not sure how much. I could understand how sugars can cause issues, and caffeine, but if I'm dairy, gluten, sugar and caffeine free yet still feel this awful, I got believe it's not the issue. I'm still going to eat good and avoid fast food but because of all the weight loss and lack of options I need to bring something else back in. I just don't have an appetite so I may try the strawberry thing. I hope you all feeling better these days. I was running about 60% tonight so that is huge. My moods can change so quick it's annoying. This is the meds because I was never like this before in my life.

I agree with you, it must be withdrawal, food sensitivities and allergies can only cause so much. If you were never like this before, it's w/d. Temporary, it will pass, like your quote, God can get us through anything, and He will.

Feb 7/14-4.0mg
April 1/14-3.6mg
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
pkj

How are you doing?

June 4, started liquid paxil 9.5mg
June 22 8.8
July 15, 8.6
July 19, 8.4
August 8, 8.2
August 28, 8.0
September 7.5
Oct. 1, 7.2mg : Migrains
Oct.21, 6.4mg
Nov.18, 6.0mg
Dec. 14, 5.6 mg
Jan. 5.2 mg
Feb, 3, 4.8:
Mar, 4.4
Apr.4.2 - 3.4
May 3.0 -2.8

Sept,1,2012 Paxil FREEEEEEE!
pkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
911Carrera

jmartinez, i have had constant 24/7 akathisia for the past 4 years. i can understand your pain. my first 3 years, the akathisia was so bad i was hanging on to life. now that i've been stabilizing on the dose of celexa it has slowly been reducing and its nowhere near as bad as it used to be for me. i still constantly hold my hands in fists with thumbs inside, and always curl my legs and toes... i cannot hold them normally anymore.

you might want to try taking vitamin E for the akathisia. you can take up to 1600iu a day... see if it helps you. it helps me sometimes a little bit.
Currently taking: 26mg Celexa, 1mg Risperdal (for insomnia).
Current WD symptoms: OCD, social anxiety, agitation in legs, insomnia, weight gain, muscle fatigue, poor skin healing.
911Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
julie-d

I have the restlessness still after 5 1/2 months med-free, and I'm still skin and bones. I can sit still but am extremely tense and uncomfortable. And when I lay down, I'm so tense that my head shakes. My digestive distress has decreased a lot, and I have an appetite. I eat normally. I just can't gain any weight. I've gotten some Jr. size pants at thrift stores b/c nothing else fits me. I feel like I'm wasting away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkj View Post
I've done the skin and bone thing. It is very scary!

This is what helped me when I had no appetite whatsoever. Maybe it'll work for you too: Get some strawberries. Cut some thin slices of cheese, or get a slice of ham or other meat. Eat one strawberry ( or a half if that's all you can manage) then a little slice of cheese or bit of ham on a fork, then more strawberry. For the longest time I could only eat tiny amounts like this. For some reason the strawberries helped me push other things down. I was eating strawberries with everything for a while. Slowly but surely my appetite returned. I was down to 97lbs but now up to 110Lbs.

Being unable to eat is the pits. Unable to eat + akathesia is the absolute pits! Many of us have been there and know what you are going through.

Every new day is another day closer to getting better.

Thinking of you,

Polly
Paxil-free 11/11
julie-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie-d View Post
I have the restlessness still after 5 1/2 months med-free, and I'm still skin and bones. I can sit still but am extremely tense and uncomfortable. And when I lay down, I'm so tense that my head shakes. My digestive distress has decreased a lot, and I have an appetite. I eat normally. I just can't gain any weight. I've gotten some Jr. size pants at thrift stores b/c nothing else fits me. I feel like I'm wasting away.
Julie - have you tried ensure and even eating things like buts and peanut butter? I have all these symptoms (I'm not skinny though - far from it) too of restlessness and I'm 8.5 mnths out. It was at its peak at 5-6 mnths for me. Those 2 mnths were my absolute worst with ALL my symptoms. It does get better over time. Remember, you're still VERY early on in wd (me too unfortunately). My restlessness has now setled to the point where I don't think about it most days. Some days its a bit worse but I have breaks now. I find if I eat sugar (even organic sugar) it gets worse.
I think the restlessness is Akathisia.
Try some epsom salt baths too.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
julie-d

lmac, I eat nuts and almont butter regularly. Can't have ensure b/c dairy upsets my stomach. I can't eat sugar either. It worsens the restlessness and insomnia. I had to give up caffeine too, which is really tough when I'm suffering from insomnia. I get so tired sometimes, and I just have to force myself to keep going. Glad to hear you've had some relief from the restlessness.

Do you find it's hard to explain to the people around you how/why you're still having w/d at 8.5 mos. out? None of my family/friends understands how long it takes to recover from this. It's very difficult. Other than the people on this forum, I'm going through this alone.
Paxil-free 11/11
julie-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie-d View Post
lmac, I eat nuts and almont butter regularly. Can't have ensure b/c dairy upsets my stomach. I can't eat sugar either. It worsens the restlessness and insomnia. I had to give up caffeine too, which is really tough when I'm suffering from insomnia. I get so tired sometimes, and I just have to force myself to keep going. Glad to hear you've had some relief from the restlessness.

Do you find it's hard to explain to the people around you how/why you're still having w/d at 8.5 mos. out? None of my family/friends understands how long it takes to recover from this. It's very difficult. Other than the people on this forum, I'm going through this alone.
I'm the same as you. I eat those things too and I also cant eat dairy as it upsets my stomach as well. I am also celiac so my foods are limited. I also do not eat sugars nor drink caffiene etc: Youre doing really well taking care of yourself. You WILL gain the weight back. I usualy notice when I'm doing better (or if a wave has left) I find I get hungry again. Eat breads, anything that will help put the weight on. (I know youre trying)
YES, everyone in my life (hubby, daughter, mother) I swear they all think I am making excuses and pretending I'm having mental issues just so I dont have to work (which I dont get becasue I had NEVER missed work and have always worked since I was 14).....I keep trying to think of how I can make them understand. I was discussing this with someone on pp the other day, if we can just put hubby in our brains then they can see\feel what mental torture we've been going through... Too bad it isnt possible. Id love to see himj shrivel up for just 5 minutes of the mental torment we are living with for 24/7........Ive made the mistake of telling a couple of people I know as well about this, I know they think I'm full of s*** and are probably thinking I'm a psych patient who is refusing drugs and will crack one day because there is no way that after all this time I could be not well (although I am in wondow right now)!!