our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
SammoUK

Panic setting in!!

Hi all, I've been off paxil for just over 2 years and in that time i've had about 3 bad waves of anxiety / panic / de-realization. Each time its lasted a few weeks and with exercise and supplementing with magnesium and passionflower i've managed to get through it.

I'm going through a bad wave again thats lasted a couple weeks but this time i can't calm it as i'm getting married in a weeks time its making it worse and worse. Its at the point now i don't know if i can face everyone to get married.

I've got an appointment with the docs in an hour and i want to ask for something to calm me down. I know Benzo's aren't a great thing to do full time but would it be problematic if i did them for a week to get me through the marriage cus then i know i could sort it out myself then without the help of meds. Just need to get through the next week.

Any advice greatly received.?
July 2008 - C/T (NEVER TRY IT) lasted 5 days and crashed Back of 20mg
Oct 2008 - Dropped to 10mg tabs, no problems
1st June 2009 - Started liquid form 10mg
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
Carried on dropping 0.5mg every few weeks.
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
2nd April 2010 -Stopped completely
SammoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
SammoUK

Re: Panic setting in!!

Well after nearly crapping my pants at actually going into the doctors, i explained to him my situation. He seemed pretty switched on and explained the whole CBT approach and that there is no quick fix, the usual stuff. He did realize however with my wedding fast approaching i might need something prescribed to get me through it. I said, and we both agreed that any meds he gives me shouldnt go beyond my wedding day and that after the wedding my anxiety should drop off anyway.

He's prescribed me 14 x 5mg Diazepam and suggests i have a test run on it before the wedding to see what dosage it'll take to relax me but not zonk me out.

Does this sounds like a reasonable plan? I just can't escape this head pressure at the moment, it's really strong and constant
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
julieannboo

not sure what advice to offer but i hope that you feel a bit better soon x
30mg - October 1999
20mg - October 2002 - July 2011
20mg to 10mg - July 2011 - March 2012 (10% taper)
CRASHED when i got to 5.2mg
Back on 10mg - August 2012
Staying on 10mg - for the time being.
Pleased i am on half my original dose.
julieannboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
SammoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieannboo View Post
not sure what advice to offer but i hope that you feel a bit better soon x
Thanks anyway, just need to get through the wedding somehow. Its meant to be the best day of your life but i really panicked big time yesterday just going into a shop to buy something. If i can't even do that how am i going to stand up in front of everyone and get married. Let alone give a speech.

I've never taken anything apart from Paxil so don't really know what to expect from the diazepam?
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
julieannboo

i think diazepam just chills you out.

if people are scared of flying i think that they take this.

double check - i dont know that 100%.
30mg - October 1999
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
Bilo76

I would take the benzo. Benzos are not cocain,..they are not evil. Yes it is not wise to use them for longer then 2 weeks in a row. Yes, they dont solve anything.
BUT some peace of mind and body can help in your case. Thats my opinion. Also i personally had not much problems tapering of a benzo after 3 months use.

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Bilo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
SammoUK

Thanks guys, i think i my plan is going to be take one of them Sunday morning and see how i feel throughout the day. Hopefully it'll give me some relief and that in turn will make me feel more relaxed about the wedding next week as i know i have something that will get me through.

It just sucks that i know as soon as the weddings over i'll be more relaxed. Right now finding it hard to actually function as a normal human being...
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Bilo76

Have you also done some breathing exercises? Go ly on the couch and for 15 mins do nothing but count your breating. 3 secs in and 5 secs out

14 years on Paxil 20 mg cause of a bad anxiety disorder (social anxiety, agoraphobia)
2011 Oct 16th: Cold turkey stop Paxil cause of poopout and switch to lexapro 15 mg. Hell started. Tapered lexapro. Tapered oxazepam. Med-free for 16 months. Now on Anafranil (clomipramine)

"....We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. It can not command, only serve..."
Albert Einstein.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
miriza

Not to discount what you have gone through but if you've only had 3 relatively short waves in 2 years off Paxil, you've lucked out. Many people have no windows whatsoever for sometimes over a year.

I would not take any psych drug if I were you. You could get addicted to benzos after a few week use and then you could really mess things up (check out benzobuddies.org for similar stories).

This sounds to me like situational anxiety perhaps compounded by a still sensitive nervous system due to w/d. If I were you I would try non-drug avenues first like yoga, meditation, exercise, etc.
Imipramine:
37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!
5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)
Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.
Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience.
miriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
lmac

CBT works great for situational panic/anxiety. I believe if you start using benzos then anytime a life event makes you anxious you will always be compelled to go back to the benzo for relief. I've taken maybe 10-12 benzo's in the span of 10 years and even then I've craved them as soon as I get anxious. Although you know yourself best to make this decision but I think this is the perfect opportunity to practice CBT. So many oif us try it to get through chemical wd anxiety which doesn't help but situational, it should definately help and imagine how great you'll feel knowing you were able to calm yourself without meds. I agree with diet, excersise and meditation. Why not try and simplyfly things and take extra care of you right now?
- 2009 - 20-0 mg paxil in 5 mnths(with prozac)
- 2009 (Dec): reinstated after 4 mnths off (crash)
- 2009 Dec -2010 Nov: Paxil 20mg
- 2010 Nov: switched to Zoloft 50mg (Paxil poop)
- 2011 Mar: tapered Zoloft (5.5 mnths)
- March: 37.5mg for 2 weeks
- April: 25 mg for 2 weeks
- April: 12.5mg for 18 weeks
AD free since Sept 4th, 2011
- Feb - March 2012: Crashed
- May 2012 - Finally seeing SOME real windows
lmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Brassmonkey

Sammo--having performed many marriage ceremonies I can say for a fact that there isn't a guy in the world who wasn't scared s***less on the big day. It may be your big day but you will have no control over anything, so just lay back and go with it. Personally neither my wife nor I can remember a thing about our wedding, it was just a blur.

Congratulations, and you'll be fine.

1994 started 20mg Paxil,1999 30mg,2005 40mg
2010 pooped out
09/2011 CTed from 15oz vodka a night
09/2011 dropped to 36mg
06/2012 dropped to 19mg (past halfway point)
01/2013 dropped to 11.1mg
03/2013 dropped to 10.0mg
01/2014 dropped to 5.4mg
02/2014 dropped to 4.9mg
03/2014 dropped to 4.4mg

"Find a place inside where there is joy, and that joy will burn out the darkness." Joseph Campbell
Brassmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
sarah
"Texts gerbils!"

Sammo. Be careful with Diazepam. The couple of times I took it after my car accident I lost 2 days each time. If you are sensitive to meds these can be lethal. Have you tried Rescue Remedy or Kalms? Both can be bought over the counter in Boots and may be much better for you.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

(Diazepam) Valium is a benzo, so just be careful. I realize he only prescribed you a few, which is a good thing and if you have to take one for your wedding, so be it. But, as Sarah pointed out, if you're sensitive then one 5 mg pill can knock you on your butt.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Bilo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Sammo. Be careful with Diazepam. The couple of times I took it after my car accident I lost 2 days each time.
LOL this will scare him. But this is a real exception. Millions of people swallow these pills and benefit from it. I also benefited from it. BUT you just have to keep in mind that you are playing with fire. And thats no problem,....one can create a nice campfire and enjoy it. As long as you remember what fire is and dont keep it on to long.

Personally i would take that little amount of diazepam once and try how it feels. Just keep in mind they are rapidly addictive so dont take them for weeks.

Albert Einstein.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
SammoUK

Thanks everyone for your comments. Over the last few weeks i have tried using rescue remedy, Kalms, passion flower and magnesium, just that nothing has given me any relief what so ever.

I used this Sunday as a practice run really as we had to go to the church for our banns to be read out. The service started at 10.15am so at 9.30 with breakfast i took a 5mg diazepam pill. Got to the church at 10.15 and took my seat, was really agitated and the panic was beginning to build and by 10.30 i said to my partner i need to get out of here. I didnt run though and faced it out and 10 minutes later a calm did decent over me and although i did feel a bit strange i wasn't feeling like i was panicking anymore. Guess the pill was working. So i made it through the service and then back to my house with the future in laws for a coffee. I was fine until about 12.30 and began to get agitated again but luckily they left by 1. I got through the morning so i guess the pill worked?

So can anyone tell me if this is right? That a benzo can take up to an hour or so before having an effect and even then the calming is relatively short lived? In my case about 2 hours tops?
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
SammoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
Sammo--having performed many marriage ceremonies I can say for a fact that there isn't a guy in the world who wasn't scared s***less on the big day. It may be your big day but you will have no control over anything, so just lay back and go with it. Personally neither my wife nor I can remember a thing about our wedding, it was just a blur.

Congratulations, and you'll be fine.
Thanks mate, i really hope your right. I can handle being in a blur all day, it's just the panic where i feel i can't breath, my heart pounds out my chest, feel like i'm gonna throw up then pass out. My first instinct is to run outside... that would be a pretty bad thing to do stood at the alter getting married tho lol !!
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammoUK View Post
... it's just the panic where i feel i can't breath, my heart pounds out my chest, feel like i'm gonna throw up then pass out. My first instinct is to run outside...
Yeah, I'd strongly suggest that you not run outside during your wedding ceremony. It really tends to put a damper on things.

Seriously, you really do have to understand that if you the exact opposite of what your instinct tells you to do - relax completely instead of tensing, fighting and fleeing - those sensations will begin to subside within minutes. The self-limiting nature of the chemistry underlying panic makes this so. You have to accept that you're really in no danger and that you only fear how you feel, then muster the courage to face that fear and relax into it. Simple plan, hard to execute, but once you do that a few times, you'll be AMAZED at how things begin to get better pretty quickly.

The benzo is a safety device. Just keep that in mind if you do use it. It will make you feel better, but don't think of it as "saving" you from panic because when you get down to brass tacks, you don't need saving at all!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
SammoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerNY View Post
Yeah, I'd strongly suggest that you not run outside during your wedding ceremony. It really tends to put a damper on things.

Seriously, you really do have to understand that if you the exact opposite of what your instinct tells you to do - relax completely instead of tensing, fighting and fleeing - those sensations will begin to subside within minutes. The self-limiting nature of the chemistry underlying panic makes this so. You have to accept that you're really in no danger and that you only fear how you feel, then muster the courage to face that fear and relax into it. Simple plan, hard to execute, but once you do that a few times, you'll be AMAZED at how things begin to get better pretty quickly.

The benzo is a safety device. Just keep that in mind if you do use it. It will make you feel better, but don't think of it as "saving" you from panic because when you get down to brass tacks, you don't need saving at all!
Solid advice Ranger. Think what i'm going to try is this... I've got the wedding rehearsal on Friday. I'm going to see if i can get through that without taking anything (I'm scared enough of the rehearsal let alone the big day) and if i can get through it i may just attempt the big day itself without anything.

I suppose at least i've got a bit of a back up plan for the big day, just knowing that might give me some confidence...
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Solid plan!

Be realistic in your expectations. One day of practice is good and will boost your confidence, but this takes time and repetition. In the end you're going to be be just fine and I bet you're going to do just fine. Often just knowing that you have an "out" with that pill in your pocket is enough to keep things flowing relatively smoothly.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Bilo76

This would not be the approach i would take. I would now decide whether you take the pill or not. Why?;

1.) On my CBT lessons i learned its better to plan upfront. i had big aghorafobia and i always used to say;..."i am gonna exercise and gonna see how far i can walk outside". This is wrong cause when **** hits the ven and you run back safe to home, you get a bad feedback so next time you will be even more scared. So the proper approach is;. how far do i think i can walk today. i think 2 mile. And then go out and do that. Same goes for taking that diazepam. If you wait untill you cant make it no more and THEN take the pill;...you are strengthening your fear. Also you will feel like a loser cause you couldnt make it without one. So decide now if you will or wont take one.

2.) This is the way you get addicted. You will get much fear and anxiety and at the top of your anxiety you will take this benzo. It will calm you and next time when you are at a major panic attack again you willw ant the benzo. Benzos work best if they are taken upfront of a expected anxiety.

3.) This will promote avoidance. I am always thought (and out of own experience) that keeping a benzo in your pocket or wallet as a safety blanket will just enflame the panic. You will never fully learn that anxiety can not harm you.

I would decide now if you take one or not. Personally i would try one to see how you react on it. But that my personal opinion.

Albert Einstein.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #21
SammoUK

Well here i am... a married man!! I actually did it without any benzo help! Was it tough? Yes it was, but somehow i actually made it through! I thought i was going to have to run out of the church for all of it, i was in pretty much full panic mode the whole time. I just kept repeating over and over in my head something i heard someone say on here. I kept saying to myself ' yeah this is uncomfortable, but it isn't terrible'. That little sentence got me through the whole day.

I was a bit gutted cus for some reason i thought as soon as the ceremony was over i'd walk out the church and all my anxiety and problems would be lifted. I was wrong of course, the whole thing took soooo much out of me i felt so bad, the head pressure i had was crazy. But i pushed onwards. I couldn't eat a scrap of the posh 3 course meal at the reception. Then it was speech time. i really felt everyone would be able to tell how much of a mess i was inside, my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest, i couldn't see properly, i just felt so detached, my head hurt so much. But again, i did it! It wasn't until after that and a few glasses of wine i began to feel a bit better. But that was just the wine masking things.

I've just come back from our honeymoon in Tunisia, i survived the plane, even when i did my usual stupid thing of sitting there ready to take off and thinking to myself ' if i have a panic attack now i'm in trouble'. Idiot! Negative thoughts really ruin things for me. The holiday went ok, i felt ok most of it, the odd occasion of head pressure, visual problems and dizzyness but nothing i can't cope with.

Now i've got back the head pressure is a lot worse and i feel terrible again. I do have a lot of stress at the moment tho. Buying a house, doing a degree course in my own time and my first child due to arrive in september!!! But i'm going to continue to push on and keep in my head that little sentence that got me through....

' yeah this is uncomfortable, but it isn't terrible'
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #22
julieannboo

yay! that fantastic!

Congratulations x
30mg - October 1999
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #23
SammoUK

Thank-you!

Does anyone know what the best thing to take for head pressure / tension headaches? I usually take aspirin but that doesn't seem to be touching it. Its hard to concentrate on anything when my head feels like this...
21st June 2009 - 9.5mg
3rd March 2010 - 1.5mg
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammoUK View Post
Well here i am... a married man!! I actually did it without any benzo help! Was it tough? Yes it was, but somehow i actually made it through! I thought i was going to have to run out of the church for all of it, i was in pretty much full panic mode the whole time. I just kept repeating over and over in my head something i heard someone say on here. I kept saying to myself ' yeah this is uncomfortable, but it isn't terrible'. That little sentence got me through the whole day.

I was a bit gutted cus for some reason i thought as soon as the ceremony was over i'd walk out the church and all my anxiety and problems would be lifted. I was wrong of course, the whole thing took soooo much out of me i felt so bad, the head pressure i had was crazy. But i pushed onwards. I couldn't eat a scrap of the posh 3 course meal at the reception. Then it was speech time. i really felt everyone would be able to tell how much of a mess i was inside, my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest, i couldn't see properly, i just felt so detached, my head hurt so much. But again, i did it! It wasn't until after that and a few glasses of wine i began to feel a bit better. But that was just the wine masking things.

I've just come back from our honeymoon in Tunisia, i survived the plane, even when i did my usual stupid thing of sitting there ready to take off and thinking to myself ' if i have a panic attack now i'm in trouble'. Idiot! Negative thoughts really ruin things for me. The holiday went ok, i felt ok most of it, the odd occasion of head pressure, visual problems and dizzyness but nothing i can't cope with.

Now i've got back the head pressure is a lot worse and i feel terrible again. I do have a lot of stress at the moment tho. Buying a house, doing a degree course in my own time and my first child due to arrive in september!!! But i'm going to continue to push on and keep in my head that little sentence that got me through....

' yeah this is uncomfortable, but it isn't terrible'
YAY, thats Great NEWS! CONGRATS!
- 2009 - 20-0 mg paxil in 5 mnths(with prozac)
- 2009 (Dec): reinstated after 4 mnths off (crash)
- 2009 Dec -2010 Nov: Paxil 20mg
- 2010 Nov: switched to Zoloft 50mg (Paxil poop)
- 2011 Mar: tapered Zoloft (5.5 mnths)
- March: 37.5mg for 2 weeks
- April: 25 mg for 2 weeks
- April: 12.5mg for 18 weeks
AD free since Sept 4th, 2011
- Feb - March 2012: Crashed
- May 2012 - Finally seeing SOME real windows
lmac is offline   Reply With Quote