our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
toomanybugs

4 years off and all came back

Hi everyone, I've been member to the forum for some time now and finally I've decided to write because the things have gotten really bad. I took Paxil for 8 months for panic attacks, during that time i felt horrible - i sunk into deep depression, lost interest in everything, stopped training because i had no energy, i couldn't focus and concentrate, it cost me a lot of effort to get out of the bed and basically i became impotent. It's been 4 years and some change since i stopped taking that poison. The withdraw lasted for roughly 1.5 years and then my condition started to get better, was almost at 100%, like i was before. But since December l.y. i started slowly to get worse till now. The old symptoms are back - depression, anxiety, inability to concentrate and a constant buzzing noise in my ears. The most bothersome of all of them is that my whole body is tensed and i'm not able to relax, i have muscle spasms from head to toe and cannot take a deep breath - my stomach begins to hurt like it's going to tear and also a whole body jerks(i don't know how else to explain it). I have this condition about 1 month after i was put on paxil. Sometimes in the middle of the night i was waken up from severe spasms in the calves, which i couldn't relax. I feel the tension comes from the head and spreads to the whole body, of course affecting the heart which skips very often now. I feel panicky and disoriented for most of the day. Yesterday i took 100mg 5htp divided in 2 doses about 4 hours apart to see how I'm going to feel. The second one i took before bed, i woke up around 6AM feeling awful, i fell like the tension has doubled and mostly in the stomach because now it hurts constantly, got more depressed and in panic. I guess i shouldn't take serotonin increasing supps, but i didn't found anything that can alleviate that tension to this day. I take rivotril when things get bad, but it doesn't achieve that kind of relaxation, it just makes me sleepy.
I hope someone can give me some ideas and guidelines what can i do, 'cause I'm pretty much desperate. 10x in advance.

P.S. Sorry for the English, it's not my native language.
toomanybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Mozart22

Re: 4 years off and all came back

If you only took Paxil for 8 months and have not taken any more for 4 years, then I don't think your problem is caused by Paxil. If during those 4 years you took some Paxil then yes it could be the problem, but if none at all was taken, I think your problem is caused by something else.
Keep in mind that some people suffer from anxiety and depression on their own, and some people have neurological disorders. It seems to me you have this problem, not from medication but just on its own.

Update October 2012: 75% healed from withdrawal, in much better condition, but some important issues remain: Poor sleep, apnea and heartburn, fatigue and lack of energy, poor concentration. Trying hard to solve these issues. More energy, better sleep, and better focus needed to be able to work and hold a job. Hard to do for now.
Mozart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
toomanybugs

Yes it's only 8 months but it was 8 months of hell, even when i shopped taking it i felt i was on it for about 6-7 months - there was no difference, then i began to withdraw and the feelings started to change, meaning that i was feeling different than when i was taking it, not feeling well at all, just feeling that something is changing. I DID NOT have the tightness sensation prior paxil and I'm certain that it caused it. I think the condition is called Benign-fasciculation Syndrome, but the neurologists hare are not able to recognize it as such despite the symptoms. It is somehow serotonin related, but don't know how. I'm taking magnesium glycinate but it's not doing the job, I'm gonna switch to mg taurate to see if there is any difference. Also i read about l-tyrosine and the dopamine deficiency here in the forum and i can conclude this also has something to do with the muscle contractions, but it's only theoretic assumptions.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
scrambledeggs

I have found that I have had to educate my physician(s) about the reality of the drugs they are prescribing and the effects. I have found that some physicians are willing to learn and some just have waaayyy to big of egos to believe that their patients can acquire any knowledge. I have been researching steadily and have presented my current physician with the actual print outs of peer reviewed studies regarding the perils and pitfalls of SSRI's. He is very willing to learn. Thank God
08/09 - 02/10 Paxil 25 mg
02/10 - 05/10 Paxil 20 mg
06/10 - 12/10 Paxil 15 mg
09/11 - 03/12 Paxil 10 mg
Paxil Sept. 2011 - March 9,2012 10 mg.
All Paxil was tapered at 5 mg increments
Prozac March 10, 2012 10 mg. (straight switch)
March 29, 2012 bad reaction, directed to discontinue all SSRI's
No SSri's since
Clonazepam 0.5 mg up to 2 tabs daily PRN
scrambledeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
miriza

I have read about people staying very sensitive to meds for a long time after w/d. Did you take any med or alcohol or supplement prior to the relapse?
Imipramine:
37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!
5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)
Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.
Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience.
miriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
toomanybugs

I've been taking the same supps for about 2 years - magnesium, omega 3s, various types of vit C, valerian now and then and a benzo, but in only in a very small dose 1/4 of a pill and only when i have a panic attack which won't go away. Regarding the alcohol, i'm drinking rarely now, but when i was on paxil, i was drinking every day, just couldn't stop, it was stronger than me. And also began to smoke - never did it before. I quit a year after my last dose (wasn't too hard, my will came back) and reduced the alcohol too. I got drunk 4 days ago and it was horrible, haven't recovered yet, don't intend to drink at least a year. I haven't taken any SSRIs since paxil and I don't intend to. Cannot find a connection to a med or a supp for now, but still researching.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
andy013

How often do you take 5-htp? I really don't think it's a good idea taking it after having bad reactions to an ssri, even years later your brain could still be sensitive to it.
andy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
toomanybugs

I only took 2 pills x50mgs about 5 hours apart. Yes it's a bad reaction to the ssri, but what is the connection to the serotonin precursor 5-htp? May be the receptors are remaining sensitive to the amino. If that's the case what options do I have to alleviate my condition. And I'm a little skeptical to amino acid precursor therapy. I took the magnesium approach, but the results are questionable (may be leaky gut).
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Johnnny off Paxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybugs View Post
I only took 2 pills x50mgs about 5 hours apart. Yes it's a bad reaction to the ssri, but what is the connection to the serotonin precursor 5-htp? May be the receptors are remaining sensitive to the amino. If that's the case what options do I have to alleviate my condition. And I'm a little skeptical to amino acid precursor therapy. I took the magnesium approach, but the results are questionable (may be leaky gut).

Correct, if you have had an "adverse reaction" to SSRIs, then you need to be very careful and not ASSUME anything.
Taking 5HTP is also a serotonin enhancer, you need to stay away from stuff like that.

I am 5 years away from Paxil.. and here is the list of what I must stay away from if I want to remain sane and healthy

1) caffeine of ANY source including green tea
2) Tylenol
3) any opiate based derivative or benzo
4)alcohol, if I do..there is always a rebound effect a few days after
5) sleep meds, Nyquil etc
6) certain anibiotics
7) certain foods, wheat dairy
and absolutely not St Johns Wort or 5htp if I wish to preserve my health and sanity
certain fruits that have been sprayed
9) sulfites..... instant heart palpitations
10) salty foods
11) chemical solvents and certain cleaners that contain amonia..again instant heart issues.

all of the above must be carefully avoided by me, I make no assumptions and reminded by how my body reacts , listen to your body or pay the price

A severe adverse reaction is just that, its not "nothing", its not withdrawal, its you body reacting to having been poisoned.
Its also NOT very well understood.
I liken it to being having my nerves blow torched from the inside out.

Johnny
Johnnny off Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
miriza

I would add fluoroquinolone antibiotics to Johnny's list. Stay away from those as they are very dangerous even for people not in withdrawal.
Imipramine:
37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!
5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)
Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.
Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience.
miriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
toomanybugs

The same list applies to me. But what about the benzos? How do you "relax" yourself when the bad moments come?

Regarding the fluoroquinolone - i've taken antibiotics only once in my life long time ago, when I was uneducated about them. fluoroquinolone is fluoride containing drug and paxil has fluoride in it's molecule as well, i guess that's the harmful compound that attributes to the adverse reactions.