our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > News / Research / Articles / Books
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News / Research / Articles / Books Helpful resources for books, news, research and more. If you find a book article or research paper interesting, mention it here please.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
scotty
Administrator
 
scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: new jersey
Posts: 48,880
A doctor speaks out!

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/elett...498/999#105384

Des Spence,
GP
Glasgow G20
Send response to journal:
Re: The Tide is Turning



A change in practice is long overdue. I did as I was taught. I used a depression rating score and diagnosed depression. This often meant using my position of authority and knowledge to convince patients that they were indeed suffering from an illness called clinical depression. I used Prozac. To begin with treatment was suggested for 3 month, later this was extended to 6 months and eventually editorials suggested continuing treatment long term. I followed the evidence and expert advice and used SSRI to treat PMT, eating disorders, anxiety, post natal depression, panic disorder, OCD and even Social phobia.

Life ,children, marriage and time changes your perspective. More importantly 8 years full time in the same general practice gave me a longitudinal perspective of mood issues that short, skewed and processed research could and will never elicit. We are at sea with uncontrollable emotional swells slowly lifting us up and down. Modern medicine deludes itself if we really think we fight these forces of nature. The medical nirvana of emotional flat lining is neither attainable or desirable.

Medication helps in a very small and select group of patients with depression. The antidepressant and “everybody’s depressed” message was spun by a greedy pharmaceutical industry and a myopic medical profession. Stop the widespread use of antidepressants as they are eroding our well being and dismiss life as a simple spark of synaptic electricity . More talk therapies please. Time for society to invest and recognize the role of friends, family, faith ,music, art ,exercise and the maligned idea of community in managing mood. Making us happy is not in the gift of health care nor medication ,of that I am certain.

Competing interests: None declared
__________________
AKA Laurie

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Suze
Banned
 
Suze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,515
Re: A doctor speaks out!

what an excellent article!
this is a powerful line: The medical nirvana of emotional flat lining is neither attainable or desirable.
thanks much scotty!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Buxy`s Back
 
Buxy`s Back's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: grimsby,england
Posts: 4,468
Re: A doctor speaks out!

nice to know there are decent peeps in the medical proffession he had guts to say all that but if more spoke up like that then the drug companies may not get away with putting normal everyday humans through absolute hell i take my hat off to the guy
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"
 
rdjanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 22,213
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Amazing article, thanks for sharing!
__________________
Rita
rdjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"
 
Homerbcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,760
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Now that was way too cool...he is on the right track...hope he is spreading it throughout the medical community...man life was so much simplier yesteryear..I was sitting talking to my 80 yr old mother who was complaining about all the med's she and dad take...she said.."my parents lived into their 90's as did your father's parents and they never took a pill in thier life"

The idea of the perfect "inner being" is ignorant to think it could happen or that it should happen...life's expereinces would never allow for that...and as the doctor said, but in my own words....

WE THE PEOPLE...we are the ones that can change todays micropharam corps from destroying our youth and our future....WE THE PEOPLE...

I would love to live in a community where when you walked down the street, people would look you in the eyes and say Good day, instead of dropping their heads and hoping that nothing would be said....

WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!
Homerbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Scott
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: somewhere in between
Posts: 11,591
Re: A doctor speaks out!

i usually avoid the articles but that was a good one.. i may mail it to my former doctor
__________________
Scott aka Scott

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive



surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
elisa
 
elisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,470
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Wonderful!! Considering it's coming from a doc it's all the more valuable. Let's hope that his voice won't be the one of the very few in the wilderness. Let it spread like wildfire doc!!
__________________
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"
 
Homerbcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,760
Re: A doctor speaks out!

And we can help spread it...cut,copy send..to any and all doc's email addresses....they need to know more and are a bit slow at getting out of the gate..but I have faith that these doctors really did get into the profession to help people and not just make the big bucks...so, let's educate them...
Homerbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"
 
Homerbcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,760
Re: A doctor speaks out!

these eamils from the on line pharams...if yu reply do they get it or does it go nowehere, cause if they do get it...i am replying with this story
Homerbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Piperpoo
 
Piperpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc. Canada
Posts: 598
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/elett...498/999#105384

Des Spence,
GP
Glasgow G20
Send response to journal:
Re: The Tide is Turning



A change in practice is long overdue. I did as I was taught. I used a depression rating score and diagnosed depression. This often meant using my position of authority and knowledge to convince patients that they were indeed suffering from an illness called clinical depression. I used Prozac. To begin with treatment was suggested for 3 month, later this was extended to 6 months and eventually editorials suggested continuing treatment long term. I followed the evidence and expert advice and used SSRI to treat PMT, eating disorders, anxiety, post natal depression, panic disorder, OCD and even Social phobia.

Life ,children, marriage and time changes your perspective. More importantly 8 years full time in the same general practice gave me a longitudinal perspective of mood issues that short, skewed and processed research could and will never elicit. We are at sea with uncontrollable emotional swells slowly lifting us up and down. Modern medicine deludes itself if we really think we fight these forces of nature. The medical nirvana of emotional flat lining is neither attainable or desirable.

Medication helps in a very small and select group of patients with depression. The antidepressant and “everybody’s depressed” message was spun by a greedy pharmaceutical industry and a myopic medical profession. Stop the widespread use of antidepressants as they are eroding our well being and dismiss life as a simple spark of synaptic electricity . More talk therapies please. Time for society to invest and recognize the role of friends, family, faith ,music, art ,exercise and the maligned idea of community in managing mood. Making us happy is not in the gift of health care nor medication ,of that I am certain.

Competing interests: None declared
Amen!!! Finally!!!
Piperpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
Piperpoo
 
Piperpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc. Canada
Posts: 598
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbcool
Now that was way too cool...he is on the right track...hope he is spreading it throughout the medical community...man life was so much simplier yesteryear..I was sitting talking to my 80 yr old mother who was complaining about all the med's she and dad take...she said.."my parents lived into their 90's as did your father's parents and they never took a pill in thier life"

The idea of the perfect "inner being" is ignorant to think it could happen or that it should happen...life's expereinces would never allow for that...and as the doctor said, but in my own words....

WE THE PEOPLE...we are the ones that can change todays micropharam corps from destroying our youth and our future....WE THE PEOPLE...

I would love to live in a community where when you walked down the street, people would look you in the eyes and say Good day, instead of dropping their heads and hoping that nothing would be said....

WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!
There are a lot of neibourhoods like that in Montreal Homer, I do it here even if people don't answer me. I think it's important. Hey, maybe I'll start a trend! There is this theory that we should be happy, that happiness is a conditon, it's not, it's something you make, that you choose, it's an attitude.
It's just more profitable for big companies to tell us they can sell it to us, isn't it...
Piperpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
Buxy`s Back
 
Buxy`s Back's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: grimsby,england
Posts: 4,468
Re: A doctor speaks out!

blummin heck i feel like printing it off n mailing it to all my local gps my OLD doctor,needless to say iv changed ,TRIED to convince me i had depression for 6 years when i knew i had womens problems!!!even after a hyst he still insisted i had depression and was left on paxil for almost 6 years.when i told him of withdrawal issues after trying to quit prior to this time i was told "its all in your head".this doc needs a medal for speaking out i just hope and pray news travels fast to more doctors,i know its big discussion here at the mo that docs prescribe too many antidepressants lets hope that this is a turning point to stop the long term suffering that comes with these drugs
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
Scott
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: somewhere in between
Posts: 11,591
Re: A doctor speaks out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbcool
these eamils from the on line pharams...if yu reply do they get it or does it go nowehere, cause if they do get it...i am replying with this story
the ones trying to sell you something? it goes nowhere, it's all automated
__________________
Scott aka Scott

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive



surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:08 AM   #14
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"
 
Homerbcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,760
Re: A doctor speaks out!

dam it..
Homerbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.


We are not in any way affiliated with Paxil's manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline.
Our ideas and suggestions are anecdotal, inspirational, and they work.

Get the best web browser, FireFox

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.