our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Family Support
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Family Support Paxil affects whole families. This forum is to support those closest to our hearts (spouses, partners, brothers, sisters etc.) who need help to understand and support.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 09-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
menace

my mom and antidepressants

My mom has always been a big part of my life. She used to be. She started taking Prozac and Xanax 10 years ago. But the problems really started when the doctors added Celexa to the Prozac. I am not sure of how much just the drugs. It wasn't too long after that she had an affair and left my dad. They had been married for 30 years. She left and moved to the mountains. The doctor then added Lexapro to her medicines. She stayed on all of that for awhile then she stopped taking the Celexa and the Lexapro. So now she is still on Prozac and Xanax. I used to be like a mama's boy. We would talk on the phone or in person everyday, but now it is like pulling teeth just to get her on the phone to talk. I feel like she just doesn't care about me anymore. Could all of these drugs cause this? Will she ever be the same loving mom I remember? Now my sister is mixed up on these drugs Zoloft and Welbutrin. She tried to kill herself a couple months ago when she stopped taking them suddenly. I feel like I've lost my whole family because of these drugs. I try to talk to her about how addictive and dangerous they are, but she won't listen. I really do miss my family. What I had with them a long time ago before all these drugs got started. All I really have now is my girlfriend and she is in her own battle with paxil. I don't understand why the doctors keep prescribing these dangerous pills.

I stopped cold turkey in 2001.

Girlfriend is currently in paxil withdrawl.
menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Delynbetter

Re: my mom and antidepressants

Taking these drugs can cause these reactions and behaviours, and discontinuing these drugs can do the same thing. I am so sorry you are having to go through this.
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Charlie

I have to agree with Delyn, the drugs whether on them or trying to get off them can cause these things. If I understood correctly she was on Prozac, Calexa and Lexapro at the same time?

Knowledge speaks ....... Wisdom listens

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Delynbetter

From what I read those three PLUS Xanax, then they pulled the Celexa and Lexapro. This madness has to stop!
Quit cold-turkey 5/5/05 as demanded by doctor.
Found paxilprogress 5/17/05.
Began Paxil CR 12.5mg 5/17/05.
Weaned 4 1/2 months.
During taper - anx/panic/depression, manic episodes, agoraphobia, suicidal ideation, many other physical symptoms.
Paxil-free 10/2/05.
Delynbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
punky

What I have been hoping for him is that once all those drugs are out of her system and her body/brain is back in balance that she'll come back around.

She was still loving and attentive on the Prozac. She's been on it for so long (10 years I think) I worry about poop out, but haven't heard much about prozac pooping out? Not like we hear about the paxil, but I guess maybe it's possible.

We've been together since all the new drugs have been added to her prozac and xanax. I see first hand the changes and it was really weird to see it in someone besides me at the time. That was when they added the celexa. Once they added the Lexapro we never hear from her at all. He did talk to her recently like a month ago and asked her about her meds and that was when she told him she was just on the prozac and xanax now. She won't discuss it any further. But she did say she just stopped the other meds. No tapering. I do hope things will turn around.
5/4-5/9 Paxil CR 25mg
5/10-5/15 Paxil CR 12.5mg
5/16-6/10 Paxil CR 10mg
6/11-7/13 Paxil CR 6.25mg
7/13-7/31 Paxil CR 3mg
8/1-9/5 Paxil CR 6.25mg
9/6 to 9/11 Paxil 10mg/5ml Suspension 5mg (2.5ml)
9/12 to present Paxil 10mg/5ml Suspension 7mg (3.5ml)
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
barbie

Menace, my husband was/is on both a/d's and benzos at the same time as well, and I noticed some of the same behaviors in him that you are seeing in your Mom. He lost all interest in his family and simply no longer has a conscience. He has been taking both for about 7 years now, and things don't seem to be changing at this point. We have been separated a little over a year now. I hope, for his sake, in the near future that he will realize what these drugs are doing to him. It's all a shame and a terrible waste.
-B

Barbie
barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Wow...heartbreaking and I just don't know what to say. These drugs have been the ruin of many a marriage and family. It saddens me, but at the same time, I'm sickened.

Punky and Menace, I pray your mom will taper and get back to being MOM. Maybe, if you could talk with her and help her through it.....I don't know, I feel for you.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace
She started taking Prozac and Xanax 10 years ago. But the problems really started when the doctors added Celexa to the Prozac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
I worry about poop out, but haven't heard much about prozac pooping out?
The above statements are all about Prozac pooping out. That is probably why they added Celexa.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
punky

And now she's stuck on just the prozac and it's probably not doing it's job anymore. I wish I knew more about prozac withdrawl and if it's anything like paxil or the others. Sounds like I need to do some research. I don't know what good it will do, but I am gonna give it a shot.

She's a nurse too and works two jobs. Really doesn't have any time for herself and she says that's why menace can't ever get her on the phone anymore. I just hate to see him reach out for her and her turn her back. It breaks my heart cuz he is already having to deal with so much.
5/4-5/9 Paxil CR 25mg
5/16-6/10 Paxil CR 10mg
7/13-7/31 Paxil CR 3mg
8/1-9/5 Paxil CR 6.25mg
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #10
scotty
Administrator

Punky, Prozac withdrawal is basically the same as paxil, with the exception of a slower clearing of the drug. The anatomical changes in the brain are exactly the same. How sad this whole situation is.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:02 AM   #11
punky

Well, I'm disappointed in my search already. I typed in "prozac poop out" and the first site I go to says that the treatment for it can be to cycle through all of the ssris. Been there and done that and never doing it again. I can't believe that this is even recommended. How would anyone know what's going on with their body and what ssri is causing what? They are already technical in withdrawl because of poop out i think? I hope I can find better information that this out there. Gonna keep looking. Here's the link and the quote...

http://depression.about.com/od/resistance/f/poopout.htm

Although it's most commonly referred to as "Prozac Poop-out", it can actually occur with any SSRI. What it refers to is a phenomenon where the patient's antidepressant simply stops working. This problem affects anywhere from 10-50%--depending who you ask--of all SSRI users. While there is no definitive answer as to why this happens, it may be a case of the patient developing tolerance to the drug. Some of the strategies used to deal with this problem include augmentation with a second drug, raising the dose or switching to another drug entirely. The patient can switch to either another SSRI or a drug from a different class of antidepressants. Another strategy that has been reported to be effective involves keeping a regular schedule of rotating between the SSRIs. Once the patients cycles through all the SSRIs, they can then start through them again. Apparently being off any particular SSRI for a period of time will restore its effectiveness.
5/4-5/9 Paxil CR 25mg
5/16-6/10 Paxil CR 10mg
7/13-7/31 Paxil CR 3mg
8/1-9/5 Paxil CR 6.25mg
Old 09-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #12
Charlie

I have to agree with Laurie, withdrawal is the same whether it's prozac or paxil. The mechanism that brought you to that point is different but the results are the same.

Knowledge speaks ....... Wisdom listens

Charlie

www.ThePaxilProtest.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
elisa

My own view on *poopout* is that it is a sign of addiction. Higher doses are "needed", a "need" to be switched or another med. added. A typical merry-go-round, as shown in Punky's post.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote