our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Action / Protests / Legal
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action / Protests / Legal Has your experience with Paxil motivated outward change? Discuss in here!

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
scotty
Administrator

UK Petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Withdraw-Seroxat/

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

Re: UK Petition

Wow... and if it did go through, they had better keep it around for those addicted or withdrawing!!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Sallybathome

Re: UK Petition (2)

Would it please be possible to add the other Seroxat Petition onto this site for anyone interested in having GSK's drug trials investigated.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SeroxatGSK/

Thanks
Sallybathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Radagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjanis View Post
Wow... and if it did go through, they had better keep it around for those addicted or withdrawing!!
LOL. There is little likelihood of the drug being withdrawn, but that's the point, after all.

Rad
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
rdjanis
"has a lavender scented keyboard"

If they have to continue paying massive legal suits, they continue to lose credibility, I think it is very real possibility down the road. Which is a pretty scary thought for many.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Radagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjanis View Post
If they have to continue paying massive legal suits, they continue to lose credibility, I think it is very real possibility down the road. Which is a pretty scary thought for many.
Yes, it's probably the only real thing about this whole business, which otherwise appears to be as divorced from logic as it's possible to be. Anyway, if the Company's shares continue to fall, then lawsuits will be the least of its problems. Not that I'd find that in the least bit funny, obviously.

Matt
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Sallybathome

Hiya

Just a memory jogger about the UK Petition which expires 22 August. The count stands at 360 signatures and seems to be just a trickle at the moment. So,if you haven't signed yet, please visit and add your name to the list before it's too late to have your say!!! Thanks again to everyone who has signed ... please try and gee up your family, friends and colleagues to support us!!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Sallybathome

Ooops, forgot to put this link on my previous post ... that'll be my Seroxat brain behaving badly at the end of a long day

http://shutah.wordpress.com/

Please take a look at the Seroxat Forum on the site too ... especially for the UK users ... sorry US folks, I'm not ignoring you, it's just that I'm trying to collate some withdrawal information from UK users.

Thanks

PS: Hi Squirrel , thanks for visiting the forum. It's a slow start but hopefully things will pick up in time. I appreciate your comments too!!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
squirrel

very happy yo help! anytime
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
Sallybathome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallybathome View Post
Would it please be possible to add the other Seroxat Petition onto this site for anyone interested in having GSK's drug trials investigated.

Thanks
Hi Scotty

Just a quick note to let readers know that the Downing Street Petition closed on 22 August with 435 signatures. We're all now eagerly waiting to receive a response from Downing Street. I'll update you when we hear.

Kind regards
Sally
Sallybathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Buxy`s Back

cool,i think i signed it i have signed so many i cant remeber which one is which,thanks for keeping us updated

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
Sallybathome

Hi Joanne

I think you did too! Thanks.

By the way ... I've created a forum for UK Seroxat users at http://seroxatforum.here.de/

It's also attached to my blog at http://shutah.wordpress.com/

I'd be grateful if you could spread the word to anyone in the UK you know might find it useful.

Thanks m'dear
Sally aka Shutah
Old 09-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #13
Buxy`s Back

have looked at the site and it looks great,but i am finding it hard to use,will give it another go when my head dont hurt so much

September 2009, not in severe hell just moderate hell, still recovering Joanne.

LITTLE EVIL MEN HIDE BEHIND BIG COMPANY NAMES................QUOTE BY......MOI
Buxy`s Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Radagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallybathome View Post
Hi Scotty

Just a quick note to let readers know that the Downing Street Petition closed on 22 August with 435 signatures. We're all now eagerly waiting to receive a response from Downing Street. I'll update you when we hear.

Kind regards
Sally
Just to let you know of Brown's response:

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13265.asp

I sent him this, by way of riposte:

Dear Brown,

Good Lord, man! Couldn't you think of anything original? You know, we went to all that trouble to establish for ourselves that the MHRA is incompetent (and from its own lips) - ie, that it has an assessment process that is apparently designed to not scrutinize drug licensing applications; nor can it provide even the most basic information (ie, about efficacy) and that that it does provide it refuses to expand on; that it stonewalls those who would attempt to scrutinize it; we identify any number of inconsistencies in the claims made by these charlatans and you come out with that pap. Pap that's several years old, I would point out.

Very disappointing. Quite insulting, actually, because it suggests to me that you have a very low opinion of our intelligence, such that you believe we would be satisfied with this. It also suggests that you don't consider us worthy of the time taken to compose something original that actually addresses the issues raised.

Have a nice day.

Matthew Holford

> From: number10@petitions.pm.gov.uk
> To: number10@petitions.pm.gov.uk
> Subject: Government response to petition 'SeroxatGSK'
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:09:15 +0000
>
> You recently signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "carry out a
> thorough investigation into the drug trials regarding
> Paroxetine/Seroxat/Paxil."
>
> The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
> it here:
>
> http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13265.asp
Old 09-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
scotty
Administrator

"A criminal investigation into an allegation that GlaxoSmithKline failed to supply pharmacovigilance information to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), relating to the paediatric use of Seroxat (paroxetine) was commenced on 1 October 2003. The investigation is still in progress"

4 YEARS to do an investigation??????

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #16
Radagast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
"A criminal investigation into an allegation that GlaxoSmithKline failed to supply pharmacovigilance information to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), relating to the paediatric use of Seroxat (paroxetine) was commenced on 1 October 2003. The investigation is still in progress"

4 YEARS to do an investigation??????
LOL, that's not the funny bit. Yes, it's been four years, give or take, and the MHRA has confirmed that it's investigating the possibility of the withholding of pharmacovigilance data (please note that it is the MHRA that investigates and makes decisions to prosecute, in relation to drugs matters, in the UK). However, I've been unable to establish precisely which offence it is that the MHRA is investigating an alleged transgression of.

The Medicines for Human Use (Clinical Trials) Regulations didn't come into force until 2004, after the investigation began, and given the bar on retrospective legislation, would not have applied to the incident that the MHRA was supposedly investigating. The Regulations do provide for various offences with respect to not reporting adverse events in trials, and for providing false or misleading information in support of a licence application, but they don't apply, and that's that.

I did put the question to the MHRA, but it didn't feel the need to answer! Anyway, if you fancy a giggle, I've posted all my correspondence over the past few months with it on my blog (I've actually been chatting with it since March):

http://itsquiteanexperience.blogspot.com/

Matt
Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Sallybathome

So, here it is … what we’ve all been waiting for … the Government’s response to the Seroxat Petition, which raised 435 signatures from the UK populace who felt similarly to the Petitioner.

Judge for yourselves whether it is a worthy answer to the question!

Question:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to carry out a thorough investigation into the drug trials regarding Paroxetine/Seroxat/Paxil. Whilst the BBC Panorama journalist Shelley Jofre’s passionate reporting of Seroxat/Paxil/Paroxetine is highly commendable, the British Government owes the users of this drug a thorough investigation into GlaxoSmithKline drug trial information.”
Government’s Response:

“The safety of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), including paroxetine, remains under constant scrutiny and the Government aims to ensure that healthcare professionals and patients are provided with information on their safe use as and when new data have arisen. A criminal investigation into an allegation that GlaxoSmithKline failed to supply pharmacovigilance information to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), relating to the paediatric use of Seroxat (paroxetine) was commenced on 1 October 2003. The investigation is still in progress.

The Government recognises the important role that SSRIs such as paroxetine (brand name Seroxat) play in the treatment of depressive illness and anxiety disorders. The safety of these medicines has been under continuous review by the UK regulatory body, the MHRA, since they were first marketed and new guidance has been issued as data accumulated.

In May 2003, the Government established an Expert Working Group of the independent scientific advisory committee, the Committee on Safety of Medicines (CSM), to further investigate the safety of SSRIs, with a particular focus on suicidal behaviour and withdrawal reactions. This review considered a large body of evidence including data from clinical trials, published literature, post-marketing studies, reports of patients’ experiences and feedback from meetings with patient support groups.

In 2003, upon the advice of the Expert Working Group, the MHRA was the first regulatory body to issue clear advice in 2003 on the risks and benefits of treatment with Seroxat and other SSRIs in the under 18 age group. It was recommended that, with the exception of fluoxetine, SSRIs should not be used in children and adolescents aged less than 18 years with depressive illness. This advice followed receipt of clinical trial data showing an increased rate of suicidal thoughts and behaviour in this population. Only fluoxetine has been shown to have a favourable balance of risks and benefits for the treatment of major depressive disorder in under 18s.

The conclusions and key findings of the Expert Group were communicated to health professionals on 6 December 2004. Overall, it was concluded that SSRIs are effective medicines in the treatment of depression and anxiety conditions, and that the balance of risks and benefits of all SSRIs in adults remains positive in their licensed indications. The Expert Working Group’s conclusions and the supporting evidence base were detailed in the Group’s comprehensive report published on 6 December 2004.”

Frankly, dear reader, I’m completely non-plussed, and not surprised, at the total lack of concern by the British Government to address, not only the question posed in the petition, but indeed the ineptitude and lethargy that beleagures our ‘governing body’!

The content of the response is approx. 90% verbatim of a letter I received from MP Roger Berry when I asked him the same question in April this year! I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that statistic!

If you were writing a response to the question posed, would the continual repetition of the date ‘2003′ alert you to the fact that perhaps FOUR years later, definitive and conclusive answers have not been provided?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
efexorsam

Is there a petition for Efexor. I know seroxat is bad, but efexor is just as bad, and for me it was worse.

efexorsam is offline   Reply With Quote