our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
want2bmeagain

Has anyone tried L-theanine?

Hi there,
Really struggling. Been on Paroxetine(paxil) for 10yrs. Tapered off kind of quick (2months) and then 2 weeks after my last dose started citalopram(celexa). I've been on this for 5months 10mgs as I am leary of upping the dose. Well 3 weeks ago I tried going off and cut the pill in half 5mgs. The second day, 10 minutes after falling asleep, I woke up with an anxiety attack and have not been able to sleep since. I went back on 10mgs for a week and upped it to 20mg. The anxiety is even worse now, and depression is setting in because of lack of sleep.
Has anyone tried L-theanine? Is it ok to take with an ssri, especially during withdrawl? I read somewhere that it decreases serotonin?
If you find yourself going through hell, keep going! ( Winston Churchill )
want2bmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Sonika

Re: Has anyone tried L-theanine?

I tried it way back when i had started looking for alternatives to paxil. The naturopathic doc said it was okay to take it with paxil. But... i don't remember it helping at all.
JUST WONDERING WHEN THE *&*^^&% will i feel better????

February 2010 Paxil 30mg (dose up and down for 7 yrs but mostly 30mg)
March 2010 Paxil 20mg (big change, i started taking amino acid therapy and my serotonin went up substantially)
April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
FREE AT LAST, feeling better Feb. 2011
Sonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Jmarie

If you use the search function near the top right hand corner of the page I believe there are several threads regarding L-Theanine. Click on Search, then Advanced Search and put L-Theanine in the "Search by Keywords" box, change "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles Only."

I am sorry you're struggling so bad. How did you feel those five months on the Celexa? Did you have withdrawal or feel okay? I can understand wanting to feel better and have recently updosed myself, but I think updosing to double your dose might be causing you even more problems. Perhaps you should consider going back to 10mg of Celexa or back to whatever dose of Paxil you were on. We seem to find that switching to another drug rarely covers up the symptoms of Paxil withdrawal.

I know how debilitating lack of sleep can be, as I have been going through it myself. I've found Passionflower very helpful in taking the edge of the anxiety and for sleep you can try Benadryl or Valerian. Maybe your doc can prescribe you a sleeping aid for short term use until your nervous system calms down a bit. I would try something over the counter first though.
2010: 14mg to 10.5mg
2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg
2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg
02/09/13: 6.7mg
04/06/13: 6.6mg
06/02/13: 6.45mg
08/24/13: 6.4mg
12/23/13: 6.3mg
02/24/13: 6.2mg

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bmeagain View Post
Hi there,
Really struggling. Been on Paroxetine(paxil) for 10yrs. Tapered off kind of quick (2months) and then 2 weeks after my last dose started citalopram(celexa). I've been on this for 5months 10mgs as I am leary of upping the dose. Well 3 weeks ago I tried going off and cut the pill in half 5mgs. The second day, 10 minutes after falling asleep, I woke up with an anxiety attack and have not been able to sleep since. I went back on 10mgs for a week and upped it to 20mg. The anxiety is even worse now, and depression is setting in because of lack of sleep.
Has anyone tried L-theanine? Is it ok to take with an ssri, especially during withdrawl? I read somewhere that it decreases serotonin?
Your problem isn't high serotonin. It's brain chemistry that is totally altered and in chaos. My thinking is to stay on the celexa at the 10mg and give it time. Going back to paxil after so long off probably isn't the way to go. But don't rush to change dose on the celexa. You're not starting with "normal" brain chemistry, it's very altered from the paxil for years.

No effect is going to happen in weeks, but now is the time to pick a dose(the lowest possible) and stay with it until things stabilize.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

I read good things about l-theanine, but when I tried it, it didn't seem to have any effect. I've had better luck with valerian and passionflower. But individual responses to supplements vary a lot. I haven't heard of any problems taking it with an SSRI.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg Apr 5.8mg May 5.7mg Jun 5.6mg Sep 5.5mg Nov 5.4mg Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
guitar77

I thought L-theanine helped a little for a short while, but it seemed to give me bad headaches. I used Suntheanine.
guitar77 is offline   Reply With Quote