our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Anxiety, Panic & Agoraphobia Issues in Withdrawal
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anxiety, Panic & Agoraphobia Issues in Withdrawal Feel like anxiety is controlling your life? Is it anxiety or withdrawal? This forum can provide information on how to recognize anxiety for what it is and techniques to take back your life.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
pboy

Metacognitive Therapy (MCT)

I've posted about this before but it got no replies, so thought I'd try again.
It sounds a bit dodgy but it's basically an offshoot of CBT, but incorporates mindfulness into it. However it talks about mindfulness differently to other mindfulness techniques, and uses attention training techniques to aid mindfulness practise. One is focusing attention on sounds at various spatial locations. I found this technique very helpful in reducing self-focus. I bought a therapists guide to it as there are no selfhelp books on it, and it all makes a lot of sense.
The techniques are supposedly helpful for reducing depressive rumination, health anxiety, OCD, generalized anxiety, and situational anxiety.

There's an explanation of how to practice attention training here:
http://www.mct-institute.com/attention.html

Only problem I've found is it's hard to implement during withdrawal, because you need a good memory and attention span to use the techniques. But the times I have managed to use it, it's been helpful.

What I like about it most is that it makes mindfulness easy to understand. Some things I've read on mindfulness can be quite confusing.

Anyway, this might help someone or not, but I thought it'd be worth letting people know about it.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
pboy

Re: Metacognitive Therapy (MCT)

Found an article here saying it's good for Adult ADHD:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0330142437.htm
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Sonika

Very interesting!
JUST WONDERING WHEN THE *&*^^&% will i feel better????

February 2010 Paxil 30mg (dose up and down for 7 yrs but mostly 30mg)
March 2010 Paxil 20mg (big change, i started taking amino acid therapy and my serotonin went up substantially)
April 2010 Paxil 15mg
May 2010 Paxil 10mg
June 2010 Paxil 5 mg
August 2010 Paxil 2.5 mg
September 2010 0.000
FREE AT LAST, feeling better Feb. 2011
Sonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Awake

Adrian Wells in the UK developed this, it is less focused on the content of worries'ruminations than on redirecting attention away from them. Personally I find meditation a somewhat simpler alternative to developing attention/concentration, but I like the approach in general and I think there is a lot that is appealing about it relative to traditional CBT.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
kathleen2
PP's Nancy Drew!

One form of mindfulness I do when really anxious is an observing/note-taking exercise, where I sit someplace outside and just...jot down what I see, not in a poetic or elegant way but just: man in blue tracksuit jogging past, plastic Wal-Mart bag blowing across ground, etc. This helps me redirect focus outside of my (obsessing) mind & re-connect with the outside world. Invariably i'll see something beautiful or interesting.
* Weaned off 1mg xanax w/ 1-month taper of .5 mg klonopin

Currently weaning Lexapro:
Sept.: 17.5 mg
Oct.: 15mg
Nov. 27th: 12.5 mg
Jan. 1st: 10 mg
April: 9mg
June: 8mg
Aug 1st: 7.5 mg
Nov. 1st: 5mg
June 5th: 4mg
Feb. 1st: 2.5mg
kathleen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
pboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake View Post
Adrian Wells in the UK developed this, it is less focused on the content of worries'ruminations than on redirecting attention away from them. Personally I find meditation a somewhat simpler alternative to developing attention/concentration, but I like the approach in general and I think there is a lot that is appealing about it relative to traditional CBT.
I kinda agree. It's useful in general but not a panacea. What I found most helpful was the focusing on sounds part, in a way it helps train my awareness towards the world around me rather than always being self conscious and just thinking non-stop.
I've tried different forms of cognitive/mindfulness therapies and so far this and ACT have been most helpful. Also I have to remember to include feelings in with the mix.

Hey Kathleen, that's a good tip. I wouldn't do it myself as whenever I write things down, I start analyzing too much, haha, it's some weird kind of OCD I have. But just noting, in my head, what I see around me does the same job of bringing awareness back to the present. I have to keep a balance of being conscious of myself but also conscious of the world around me (otherwise I lose awareness of my body, a kind of depersonalization)