our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Action / Protests / Legal
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action / Protests / Legal Has your experience with Paxil motivated outward change? Discuss in here!

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
CindyO

Any Petitions to Congress Out There?

OK, so we all know the lawsuits are a lost cause. I am shocked, however, by the stories I hear about any GP Doc. writing RXs for these mental meds. The worst are the children and it seems like any college clinic issues RXs for these young people like candy.

Anyway, we all needed the meds in the beginning to deal with some mental issue, right? So wouldn't it make sense to only allow a psychiatrist the right to write these RXs? I mean seriously, can a psychiatrist write an RX for birth control pills? (Probably but that is the madness here).

What if the law was, first you saw a counselor or psychologist, and they could refer you to a psychiatrist if they felt it wasn't enough with talk therapy. At least we'd have a bit of a gatekeeper. How many of you would have gone back in time and wished you just used alternative methods and tough it out vs. getting on these meds? It just covered up the core issue anyway for many of us.

I know the big flaw is a Dr. is covered by company issued healthcare and the others aren't. So some genious would have to figure out how to overcome that issue. The problem is it was too easy for these meds to be issued and it has to stop at the Dr. level. I don't want to sue my Dr. He just bought the lie the rep told him.

OK, so if that doesn't work maybe we could ask Congress to require the Dr. to have the person view a video and sign a disclaimer about the side & withdrawal effects. Part of the problem is the percentages on these short term studies are too low so they dont' really think that many people suffer. But I saw the petition just for that one SSRI, about 25K signatures. I think hating is not the way to go, but I do think we owe it to the next generation to stop this madness NOW before the next round of folks are brain dead.

So my question is, does anybody know of any petitions out there with a similar idea?
CindyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
scotty
Administrator

Re: Any Petitions to Congress Out There?

We attempted to get a law in NJ for informed consent for children and teens(many, many trips to Trenton talking to politicians). This would have required doctors to make parents aware of the black box warnings on ssri's for this age group PRIOR to the prescription being written.

It made it through the Assembly, and then the Senate wouldn't even let it out of committee to be voted on by the full Senate, where we had the votes for passage,(because the head of the committee was a doctor who was beholden to Pharma for funds), so it died a quick death.

So, while it sounds like a good idea it ended up being a lot of work for nothing.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

That is one frustrating story. Out of curiosity, how long has that committee chairman been in the NJ State Senate? Im guessing at least 12 years at the time he killed your legislation.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerNY View Post
That is one frustrating story. Out of curiosity, how long has that committee chairman been in the NJ State Senate? Im guessing at least 12 years at the time he killed your legislation.
Oh, absolutely! The really sad part is that he was MY Senator!

MLK
Old 08-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
rangerNY
Administrator
Wax on. Wax off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Oh, absolutely! The really sad part is that he was MY Senator!
Not really. His job is not representing you or doing what's best for New Jersey. His job is pleasing the people that keep his campaign coffers full, because you need that to keep that job. It's a ridiculous cycle.

Term limits are so badly needed at every level.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
scotty
Administrator

One day we had an appointment with him...which he cancelled and we found out later that Pharma lobbyists had been there before us, hence the cancellation.

The whole system is SO corrupt!

MLK
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
CindyO

Wow, just hearing that story is enough to make a person stop before they start any kind of grass roots efforts. I personally am too exhausted. It is sad though...

I agree big pharma has our decision makers in their pockets. And don't get me started on the these new designer vaccinations...

I read an article about how they are creating group think hype about all sorts of illnesses that in the past we just let good old nature and our immune systems fight it out. They are brainwashing us to think we need a drug for everything: To not have kids, to keep kids well, to avoid insanity, to help when we are insane, to kill pain, to kill the pain of weaning from painkillers.

Oh, wait, I said don't get me started and I got me started all by myself.
CindyO is offline   Reply With Quote