our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Journals
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Journals Track your own progress

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Backtopaxil

Paxil: A Love Hate relationship

So finally I decided to document my journey into this mess.

Well it all started in 1993. I was diagnosed HIV+. The news was devastating but I had a very strong group of friends and support and honestly AD didn't even cross my mind.

The next years my health was OK, but I noticed some mild depression, not sure what it was but I had I would say a happy life. Then I moved to South Florida and met a group of wonderful friends and party like crazy. After all I was suppose to die soon, no?

In 2002, I was making good money, was in a relationship and had just bought a beautiful apartment. I felt great even though my numbers had declined.
Then my father passed away, and I became depressed. I look back and it was normal depression, but did not take anything yet. I had developed some pain in my left groin. But I have flat feet and it resolved itself.

In the fall of 2002 I developed some IBS, I attributed it to a new medication but this time I became concerned as it would not go away. Then in January 2003 the leg/groin pain came back. I thought I had an infection and took a couple of cipro. It was painful, and I started having spasm in both adductor muscles. That continued until April 2003.

I saw a neurologist, orthopedic dr, urologist, had ultrasound, Xrays, MRI and EMG. Went to the ER and a doctor told me it was neuropathy caused by meds. Strangely, all tests came back clean. But given that I am HIV+, hey blame it for all unknown issues...

I started doing physical therapy, talk therapy, and my cousin suggested AD. So I headed to a psyc dr, and he prescribed Paxil 10mg. Hey one of my best friends was taking the same so I felt why not?

I took the pill, had physical therapy, some Vioxx and after say 2 1/2 the issue went away gradually. And did not bother me for the next 8.5 years. I guess this was my love affair with this pill....

"This will take time but it will happen!"
"I've been shouting: it takes at LEAST a year " -- Ariella
"If I am going to suffer, at least I will be Paxil free" -- me!

Backtopaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Backtopaxil

Re: Paxil: A Love Hate relationship

When I started taking Paxil I noticed that my hamstrings were tight. But I did not relate much since I had that pain in my left leg/groin area and went along.

By Aug 2003 I was doing great, started a wonderful job, bought a new car. My health was Ok, some numbers were down, so anything the doctors would tell me I would buy. I felt sleepy but I love to sleep and that was OK with me.

For the next 8.5 years my health took a 180 turn. Yes thanks to Pharma, I am undetectable and counts are the best ever.

In 2006 my doctor added Wellbutrin, as I was feeling tired sometimes, so then I felt like a million dollars. Traveled all over the world, I mean I enjoyed life. But then I started to notice that I did not want to go out as much as used to, some sort of apathy. I attributed to age. ( I was in my 40s).

In 2010 my Psyc died, he was a charming old man. So I started seeing my new psyc. I used to see my old psyc every 3 months , but then my new psyc wanted 2 months follow ups. And I felt like I was just going there to get a RX. And started to wonder whether at such low dosage, I needed Paxil. After all I felt like a million dollars.

Then I missed one appointment and felt like trapped, I could not get another one, like I cared, but had to get the RX, so I decided, it was time to get off this stuff.

Finally in July 2011, I did some research, but unfortunately did not do my homework right, and went for a 6 week approach. And so I did as per signature.

The W/D was rather smooth, I mean I had a few days with headaches. But everything did not fall in place or I did not connect the dots. Then I had a minor neck pain which resolved, so I thought it was stress. I went and visited my Mom for 8 days, that was Ok, but noticed I was irritable.

When I came back, the day after I started having back soreness. At that time I was at 5mg. After Labor day I dropped to 2.5 mg and the back soreness was OK. I graded myself and always thought it was less than a 2 out of 10. On Sept 16th I dropped it all, and I had some heart palpitation on the way to a friends house. That was the first clue that it was all WD related. I wen back and did some more research, and found PP. And then it hit me, I had done a fast taper, almost CT.

Fair enough I went back to my original dosage on Sept 27th. And then it all started....hence the Hate relationship.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Backtopaxil

I flew to Chicago that weekend. However I noticed my back sore more during that trip. But had a wonderful time. The week after Imy car showed I had low pressure in one of the tires so I went to add some air and felt this pain in back, and that got me concerned. I mean I was back on Paxil, had not had any panic or palpitations and would say I was rested. But said to myself, in a few weeks you will be OK and you can tapered later or maybe never , who knows.

On Oct 8th I went to a party and drank a few drinks, I had gone to the gym earlier and did some stretches. Was fine. The next morning I woke up with the worst despair I had ever felt. I felt like back in 2003 when that left leg/groin pain made my life miserable. But it was not that, it was just that my hamstrings and adductor muscles were tight like a rock. I went to see my psyc and he just asked me if I had excerside and I said yes as usual. He told me to rest. But I knew something was terribly wrong.

To this date I do not know if this is anxiety or Paxil. But continued. The next days were terrible, I started thinking that maybe I had an incurable neuropathy caused by HIV, that paxil had just masked it and that now the magic was gone. Did tons of research, but hey my numbers were great, I was undetectable, and had been taling the same meds for the last 5 years, no changes, so how come this is back?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Backtopaxil

Good thing I keep a diary, though these are the things you want to forget....

The tight/cramps in thigh persisted, and then I had back pain plus this new neck soreness. I tried to live my life as usual, thinking that it was going to resolve itself soon. And the back pain and neck pain actually went away in a couple of weeks. But the legs became weaker and I started to get really worried and nervous. This rRI was talking its toll and I wondered if I should just dump the damn thing. But again I had three questions, was it 1) Anxiety, 2) Paxil or 3) Neurological disorder.

Good thing I had this cream call Voltaren, I bought it overseas and it is wonderful. ( US with RX). I wen to see my regular Dr and all test came as god as usual, so I told myself, hmm that HiV blame is not holding ground, so it has got to be something else.

I started taking Advil for pain ( 2400 per day as AI) so all back pain, neck pain was gone. I still had this muscle tightness in my posterior legs. and then some butt soreness. Funny though the butt soreness was one sided...

In November I took some days off ( first 10 days). and this was not very good. I stayed at home and 1000 thoughts came back to hunt me. Funny though my mood was good, but I was cosntatly reminded that this tightness, soreness, discomfort did not go away. So finally I decided to talk to my psyc. 6 weeks on Paxil and not sure where this was headed.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Backtopaxil

My psyc is not a fan of Paxil, he told me and did not like my Wellbutrin/Paxil combo much, though he noticed I had been doingg well before so he left it alone. So he went for dumping Paxil/WBT and adding Zoloft 50mg.

I was a little bit relieved, and went along , but was skeptical after reading all this posts on PP. Zoloft started OK, some jittery and diarreah. I must point out that until this very moment I had regular stool, sometimes constipated. LOL.

The 50 mg were OK, except for the insomia, diarreah and jittery. Right before Thanksgiving I wento to the gym and had some muscle streching and foam rollers. Oh bug mistake, I was in pain for 2 days. Funny though my hamstrings were not tight anymore. The right buttock pain was still bothering me but knowing that it was not symmetrical, it had to do with something else.
On 11/30 I went for my follow up and thought we were going to 75, but no I wen all the way to 100. Then the jitterness became full blown shakiness,

I would take a nap and wake up shaking, it was horrible. Diarreah was imposible and the fact that I had to take Trazodone to sleep made me really depressed.
I managed to get my Christmas tree ready, it was beautiful. What a difference, in 2010 I had a wonderfule time, but this year I was ridden with allthis pains and aches and now shakiness and diarreah. I said enough and went to see my psyc. He mentioned to raise to 150 mg and I said forget it.
I asked him for lexapro, since it has a mild set of side effect, I hear. He said since I had done well with Paxil to go back but 20mg.

I said Ok, but give me something for the muscle aches and sleep. I knew about clonopin, from a friend, and since it was a long benzo I said OK for a few weeks. And so it went.

So I started back on 10mg and 0.25 mg of clonazepam. Diarreah subsided, slept like a baby but mornings were difficult, hangover. But would go away like in 1 hour.

I went to a neurologist and had an MRI, EMG on the same date. He examined and asked me to come the first week of the new year. I also wen to my old orthopedist and he mentioned weakness in my hamstrings, and prescribed physical therapy for a few weeks.

Started my physical therapy and must say I had the strength, but recovery was strange. My back would be sore the next day, usual post workout, but I noticed my hamstrings were taking way longer.

I must say the shakiness had gone away, but I was on a small dose of clonopin and probably that was a mistake since it was masking some symptoms.

Christmas I had a wonderful time. I told my firends what I was going thru, (some of them are taking much more than AD , trust me). NYE was great but I noticed my legs were like more sore than usual I mean thighs.

January 3rd, I went to my neurologist and all tests were clear, I told him what was going on and he said he has never seen that, but sent to a blood test that came back good, even minerals were great. So that is ruled out though deep inside I have this feeling it is Paxil. But why after RI? and could it be some inner anxiety?.....

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Backtopaxil

January was OK, I actually enjoyed my PT classes, streches and all. On January 14th I started clonazepam tapering i would take as listed 0.175 for like 10 days or less, then 0.125 then 0.0625 and done.

I noticed also that sitting at work was getting more and more uncomfortable. So I alternated between a padded cusshion and w/o one.

I also noticed some jittery and tremors, and though, great Paxil is loading. Later found out it was clonopin WD. I also notced that my mornings were clearer, no more clonopin hangover.

As I dropped clonopin, tremor became more and more frequent. But I knew the drill and ignore them. The day I finally dropped clonopin, I felt bad, and had a muscle twitching party. In my legs, thighs and arms. It was non stop. That was Feb 09. I did not go to work Feb 10. Felt bad and had a depressive weekend.

I wen to see my doctor ( psyc) and he insited I was taking a low dosage and need to be like 20 or 30mg. Went to my regular doctor and he also mentioned that I could be low. SO I decided to raise it to 20mg

The tremors have subsided but the thigh soreness is still there. It feels mostly on the outer thigh and I can feel the muscles getting tight. If I compare to 3 weeks ago, I say it has gotten worse. So is because anxiety related soreness or is it just Paxil?

Currently I am in limbo, I have this feeling it is Paxil doing this to me, but it could be some hidden anxiety. I do not have panic attacks or so. I am here typing and my thighs are sore.. Why is that I ask myself.?

A friend from NY who is a doctor told me to give it a few weeks and reevaluate this all. My neurologist, told me the same to give it a few weeks.

My mood is Ok, I am not like desperate or crying or depressed, well maybe mildy due to this physical issue.
I would be jumping on one foot if I did not have this issue.
I think the clonopin WD did not help either, otherwise I would know for sure. But the symptoms have been there all along this ride. Just makes no sense to endure all of this and then have to come up with some patience during some tapering.

It could be fibromyalgia, but why is it localized in my posterior legs? That rules it out. I have search online and I dont see any records, about this. Am I still in Paxil WD after 10 weeks? And what if I am wrong and this is not Paxil, and start tapering and it gets worse? I hope some of you can spend some time and read this journal and give me your thoughts. This is actually puzzling to me

Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Backtopaxil

This week I called my old therapist. ANd we will be starting some CBT and something else he mentioned , much better or advanced than CBT. Cant wait to start.

I also ordered my new Gemini 0.001 scale. I am getting ready to taper. I thought I could reinstate, take a break and start tapering later on. Not sure this will be feasible. I am still giving Paxil 2 more weeks. but doubt anything will change based on previous experience. The next thing is to see if my psyc goes along. I would hate to get a new one. I would love to have the liquid paxil for the lower measures. I guess I can get away with weighing from 20-10 but then it will be very tricky without liquid paxil. I hope it does not takes like s**t. Compounding would be an alternative. But do I trust them...

It is funny, i can walk Ok, but I feel this soreness in my posterior thighs. I used to work out these and had very strong ones. And no they are not weak, the muscle mass is there, just this soreness.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Wld

Hey Backtopaxil. Do I understand correctly, you're waiting a couple weeks on the Paxil to see if your leg pain lessens? If it does you'll continue on the Paxil. If it doesn't get better you'll begin a taper? I mean that makes sense, I just want to make sure we're on the same page. My problems have never been physical just mental/emotional, idk which is worse.

I ordered a scale awhile ago, I used it for 5 days. Gosh I'd say you could have mine but it looks like you already ordered one--god only knows i may need it again at some point. My Dr. gave me liquid Celexa and I've been using that since (I think it's tastes like crap but ive always hated the taste of ANY medicine). Maybe Paxil liquid will taste better.

You sound like such a intelligent, capable person. You seem to have this all figured out better than anyone else here could help you with. So what I'm going to do is just wish you luck and pray that your leg pain goes away.
Reinstated Celexa 10 mg. 12/14/11
Up to 20mg. 12/21/11 sick, horrible time
Down to 10mg. 2/7/12 giving up reinstating
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Wld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Backtopaxil

Thank you so much.

This has been an absurd situation. Most of the time I am in good mood, so I assume the reinstatement worked. And since I increased the dosage, I can see my mood getting better, but the posterior leg cramps and pain are very annoying.

I am waiting to meet with my therapist on Wednesday to see what he thinks. Something deep inside tells me it is Paxil, but I also entertain the notion that it is some hidden or internal anxiety that is causing this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
chantingjo

Hi Backtopaxil
Good luck with your taper, it sounds like you are doing everything the right way so you will absolutely be successful. You exercise and are doing CBT. CBT is a godsend. It has made such a difference to me.

What I don't understand is why the doctors keep giving you anti depressants for muscle pain? Is this normal practise?? Do they think it's psychological? I don't know much about muscle pains but I'm sure there would be other treatment options available. They just seem to throw out anti depressants for everything these days!

Anyway, good luck!
Jo
21st Sept - 14mg
30th Oct 13mg
5th Dec - 12mg
1st Feb 12 - 11mg
2nd Mar 10 mg
28th April - 9 mg
27th May - 8
29th July - 7.2
16th Oct 7
23rd Oct - 6.8
15th Nov - 6.6
24th Dec - 6.4
10th Feb - 6
9th June - 5.8
25th oct - 5.6
25th nov - 5.4
27 dec - 5.2
22 jan 5
3 apr 4.8
"be the master of your mind rather than let your mind master you" (Nichiren Daishonin).
"Winter always turns to spring"
chantingjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Backtopaxil

Thanks Jo for you thoughts

Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Backtopaxil

Today I woke up somehow shaky. Updosing has been interesting, sometimes is smooth, but sometimes it is crappy.

Deep inside I just wanted to give it my best, so I would not have any regrets when I decide to taper. I would not say paxil poop-out on me. How can it be that my mood is OK, I have no constant anxiety. And I would say that I am Ok most of the time except when these muscle tightness occur. And are unique to this area, the posterior legs.

But then I hear of some cases that took 4 months to reinstate. I feel constant twitches , ;last week I had them on my calves but they dont hurt all. Feels like my nervous system is waking up? I noticed that some twitches occur around my knees, then they were sore for like two days and now they are good.

Funny though I felt the same when I started tapering, but they never hurt. If this is anxiety, I have never heard of such. I have tried to read as much as I can , but almost everybody reports heart palpitations, sweating...I dont have any of that. Oh well, lets see what happens...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Backtopaxil

Today I woke up with the same muscle aches I have gotten used to in the past few months. And I am totally cool. Had a restful sleep, but feel like my legs are the legs of a very old person. Funny though it is the same area all the time. That area around my hips and where the legs meet the hips. And it is symmetric which is not normal. Ah and the muscle jerks. They are subtle but feel them all over my legs.

I got my new gemini-20 portable milligram scale and a book I purchased: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy workbook for Anxiety.

Tomorrow I will see my therapist...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
rose32

HI Back to Paxil,

It is interesting that you have leg pain.Thigh and hip pain. I also have this however when I was 3 years old I had polio so I thought my leg and thigh pain was related to polio. My thighs never hurt like this in my life before paxil. I have had a lot of pain and weakness from polio but not like this. Usually it was cramps or soreness from overuse in my feet or calf. Usually a cramp or a charley horse in the calf of my leg and usually the weak one. Now I have very bad muscle spasams in my thigh muscles and once suddenly in both thighs at one time, it hurt so I burst into tears.

Once I even felt like I was going to fall my hip felt like it was moving around in the hip socket. Really strange it did not hurt but scared me silly I thought I was going to fall. It just went away after a few minutes and never again?

My neck aches daily and my head hurts. Not your typical headache. It hurts in places all over my head spots about the size of a silver dollar, they just hurt. It feels like my brain hurts as well. A few years ago ( before I found PP ) my head hurt so much I ask a friend of mine who has a day spa if she had a therapy for the brain. She was working on my back at the time. I thought it was a joke and she said yes she did !!!! She is an amazing therapist. She did do cranial therapy it was great.

You mentioned using ad's for muscle pain relievers, the drs at the polio clinic also told me to take the ad's for muscle pain. I was told that it would help me tolerate the pain better. Not so in my opinion, I think my pain is much worse now. My thigh muscles make me feel like I have really old legs, They ache no matter what, sit too long , stand , can't get up easily. And they hurt at the hip joint too. Like I said I had just thought it was residule muscle yuk from the polio. However, both You and Grandma D mentioned thigh pain.

Just wondering? Sorry I don't have any answers, but I don't think it is anxiety with me.

Rose32
2008-2012-provigil 200MGS
????-2012-lortab 10MGS
PAXIL TAPER
2000-2012-paxil 40MGS 30-20,started taper 10/2010
10/2011-15--11/5/11-14--11/27/11-13
12/26/11-11.7--1/15/12-9.5--2/13/12-8.6
3/11/12-7.7mg--4/4/12-6.93--5-7/12--6.2mg--
6/9/12--5.6mg--7-12-12--5.1mg--8-19-12--4.5mg
10/1/12--4.1mg--11/4/12--3.6mg--12-4-12--3.25--
12/31/12-2.9--2/10/13-2.6 3/?/ 1.3-4/15 -0-
rose32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Backtopaxil

Hi Rose.

I am more and more convinced it is Paxil. I am going to see another psyc for a second opinion. and see if he can assist me with this tapering, specially the liquid paxil. I am not very happy with my current psyc.

If it is anxiety, then Paxil it is not helping me after almost 3 months. I have no palpitations, no shakes, I sleep good, but the pain is symmetrical and always on my thighs. I have had an MRI, EMG and CPK blood test and all negative.

I see you are tapering. Are you doing better as you taper?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Backtopaxil

Had my first meeting with my CBT therapist. very nice man,we started going over all the recent developments. He agrees that it makes no sense what I am going thru and detects some dissatisfcation with my current psyc. He has recommended to get a second opinion about all these symptoms.

Next task, contact the new psyc who has 23 yrs experience, hopefully a very understanding one that can assist me with my tapering. Dont want to do this on my own.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
rose32

HI BACK TO PAXIL

Yes I am tapering. It has been a long journey. I am resolved to however long it takes. I visited here a long time before I had the courage to taper.
I am now at 8.6 mg and am very happy about it. I have my pains and so forth but I just keep going. Some of them I will always have some will resolve with getting off of the meds I am on. With time, education from PP I have done pretty good.

Rose32
2008-2012-provigil 200MGS
????-2012-lortab 10MGS
PAXIL TAPER
2000-2012-paxil 40MGS 30-20,started taper 10/2010
10/2011-15--11/5/11-14--11/27/11-13
12/26/11-11.7--1/15/12-9.5--2/13/12-8.6
3/11/12-7.7mg--4/4/12-6.93--5-7/12--6.2mg--
6/9/12--5.6mg--7-12-12--5.1mg--8-19-12--4.5mg
10/1/12--4.1mg--11/4/12--3.6mg--12-4-12--3.25--
12/31/12-2.9--2/10/13-2.6 3/?/ 1.3-4/15 -0-
rose32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Backtopaxil

Thanks for your answer and I hope you keep going and doing better.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #19
Backtopaxil

Well, 12 weeks on Paxil. Mood is good, anxiety nowhere. still some aches in my legs so it is time to start tapering. Like GrandmaD says: I am FED UP !!

Just took my 17.5mg dosage. I will try 15% until I reach back to 10mg and move slower from then on. I was on 20mg for 4 weeks, so hope it is smooth with 15% tapering. We'll see...

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Wld

Good luck George! If anyone can do this you can!
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Backtopaxil

Thanks WlD. I see you dropped as well. Best of luck and lots of healing !!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
Backtopaxil

Last few days have been mild, today some anxiety, but went out for a walk and than to Walgreens.

It is kind of great and sad that my pharmacist hands me my medications without even asking for my name. I guess I am such a good client. But deep inside I wish they wouldnt even know who I was, and that I had no issues. Dreaming is free I suppose.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
Backtopaxil

Well went to see my neurologist. The news are not all that good.

He wants me to get off paxil. Deep inside I want the same. It is one thing to decide to ween off. But another to have to live with all these aches and pains while on paxil.

It has been 3 months since I reinstated and quite honestly it has been a waste of time. Not sure how I will be dealing with this. Maybe speed it up back to 10mg and slow down from there. It all depends how I feel. My initial tapering actually was mild. Had a few headaches here and there, some minor back pain and thinking back a few fast heart beat, that I controlled. But ever since I tried to reinstate, it has been just bad. And mostly physical symptoms.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Wld

Sorry George, I'm sure you'll be ok tho. I'm down to 3 mg. from 10 over 5 wks. and it hasn't been fun but it hasn't been unbearable either. Another 2 wks to go, making it 7 total--the amt. of my failed reinstatement. We're gonna be just fine, better than fine, drug-free.
5mg. 2/15/12.
4mg. 2/27/12.
3mg. 3/7/12
2mg. 3/14/12
1mg. 3/21/12
Last dose 3/27/12

Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
Backtopaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wld View Post
Sorry George, I'm sure you'll be ok tho. I'm down to 3 mg. from 10 over 5 wks. and it hasn't been fun but it hasn't been unbearable either. Another 2 wks to go, making it 7 total--the amt. of my failed reinstatement. We're gonna be just fine, better than fine, drug-free.
Thanks so much, ah my RI partner in crime. We will be. Hey if we are going to suffer, let it be drug free, at least.