our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Health Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health Challenges Anxiety, depression, OCD, headaches, weight and more.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 07-19-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
BonkersLady

Alternative Medicine...Any Advice?

Hi all. I just started tapering off paxil about 5 days ago. I have been on 25mg for about 8 monhts and I reduced it by about 4.25mg. So far, I have felt very VERY tired and just want to sleep all day. I have no motivation to do anything and get some nausea, headache, and dizziness. I am about to move to Houston to be a kindergarten teacher and I am so nervous because I want to be FREE from Paxhell, but I want to be alert for the kids. Any ideas or suggestions on some herbal remedies? I have 5htp but I have read it isn't good to take if you are still ON paxil. Need some help, some energy, but mainly some piece of mind that I'm not BONKERS!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
eddie

Herbal Remedies

BonkersLady,
A couple of things that I have found to be helpful in reducing my paxil dosage are l-glutamine powder and gaba. L-Glutamine provides good nutrition for the brain & the gaba improves brain nuerotransmitter function. I felt some positive affects within a few days of beginning use.

Eddie
Old 07-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
hope

Alternative medicine

I've tried a lot of stuff so here's my suggestions:

If you have a naturopath in your area, that is someone with an N.D. degree, you might want to get some supplements prescribed. There are so many suggestions on what to take from people it's hard to know what to decide. The two just listed above were given to me by a naturopath but in conjunction with a formulation of some sort. The 5-htp made my muscle twitching worse but I know it has helped some people.

I had colonic treatments and they did help quite a bit when the symptoms were bad. They help flush the toxicity out of your blood.

I had accupuncture treatments when I was shaking really bad.

When I was tapering my problem was the opposite, I couldn't sleep. So if you're sleepy, I'd say sleep.

"I never cared much for flim flam doctors." (Doctor Baker, Little House on the Prairie).

Put on Paxil in 1996 for Post-partum depression. After 5th withdrawal attempt, went into severe debilitating withdrawal, restarted Paxil in the ER which didn't work anymore. Taken off again quickly by a shrink, started on Lexapro. Body rejected all drugs except benzos. Currently off all drugs. I'd say I'm recovered. Yeah, I'd say so.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
lifeisbeautiful222

Someone on here posted about a detox kit from gnc or something like that. I have been thinking about trying it. Other than that I havent had any luck with herbs and I never feel safe taking them anyway.
lifeisbeautiful222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Scott

herbs were placed on this earth for your benefit.. not so much with chemicals although they can be effective sometimes. herbs have been used for thousands of years.

What has happened to it all?
Crazy, some are saying
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

surviving an ssri reaction
alternative anxiety treatments
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #6
dar7726
Banned

If you try nothing else then I think a good fiber might be helpful. For example, psyllium husks would be good. Because toxins in the body bind to the fiber and keep the bowels moving.

Darlene
dar7726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
silence4now

A lot of people say "detox" but I tried a liver flush and felt horrible. I heard Nature's Remedy worked for some. Supplements that helped: kelp, chamomile, 5HTP, magnesium, lysine, vit c, ginger (1 tsp/day in AM freshly juiced in a juiceman). Questionable: fish oil, although I take it because its supposed to regulate the brain. Benadryl and Aleve have helped me deal with the pain and insomnia. Now at 11 weeks off and I can tolerate multi vitamins every other day. Skilled Relaxation for diffusing my anxiety.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:46 AM   #8
lifeisbeautiful222

Silencefornow: What do you mean by you felt horrible on the liver detox? I have been thinking of trying one but wondering if it will make me nauseas or anything
lifeisbeautiful222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:33 AM   #9
silence4now

It just seemed to set me back and make my withdrawal symptoms like zaps, muscular spasms and nausea worse for a few days.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
silence4now

I read that Burdock Root helps with Paxil withdrawal, but haven't tried it.

Also been reading more about 5 HTP and why you shouldn't take it with Paxil. 5 HTP helps to increase your serotonin level, while Paxil works to inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin. These 2 together can cause something called "serotonin syndrome" where you have too much serotonin. That's why its best to wait 2 weeks until most of the Paxil is out of your system. The 5 HTP will help you with the serotonin withdrawal by causing the body to make more serotinin on its own. But you need to combine it with other dietary changes and supplements to get your body back into balance.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
elisa

My naturopathic doctor told me not to start with detoxing until completely off the antidepressant.

Supplements can really work and herbs have been used with success for centuries.

Asperin is made of the bark of a tree so why not using something from mother nature?
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #12
silence4now

Yeh I heard that too elisa. And it's good for so many things. I think aspirin is now made strictly in the laboratory to mimic the original.

Interestingly, Aspirin and Heroin were once trademarks belonging to Bayer. After Germany lost World War I, Bayer was forced to give up both trademarks as part of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:24 PM   #13
elisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence4now

Interestingly, Aspirin and Heroin were once trademarks belonging to Bayer.
Heroin..........???????????? Please fill me in on that one. Thanks.
On A/D's since 1995, switching due to side-effects on 30 different brands of TCA's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Antipsychotics, Benzo's & Imovane. 6 ECT's. Tapering from 225 mg Effexor XR May 17, 2004. (Equiv. to 60 mg Paxil) Last taper Effexor XR Jan 17, 2006 down to ZERO. Currently protracted withdrawal. Sept 2006: 25 mg Doxepin. March 13/09: 10 mg Desipramine
Old 09-19-2004, 06:43 AM   #14
silence4now

Yeh, isn't that wild. You can search on the internet for Bayer and Heroin and find lots of info. Here is one link.

http://opioids.com/heroin/heroinhistory.html

Interesting also, that the inventor appeared to have died from his addiction.

Also, coca-cola used to containe cocaine.

Funny I think. The world of modern medicine/nutrition is experimental at best.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #15
elisa

Hi Silience, just read the info on the link you provided. Very interesting!!

Thank you so much.